Stuck Turn Signal Bulb, '66 Corsa

All Models and Years
rhscholz

Stuck Turn Signal Bulb, '66 Corsa

Post by rhscholz »

I am trying to remover the front turn signal bulb on my '66 Corsa, but it is stuck in its socket. Is there a safe way to loosen it; I am afraid to apply too much force which might break the bulb. What is the best way to loosen it, spray WD40 ?
erco

Re: Stuck Turn Signal Bulb, '66 Corsa

Post by erco »

I had the same thing recently on both sides up front. I removed the whole light socket assembly (2 nuts & brackets on back) to better access the bulb. Plenty of WD-40, patience, and rocking the bulbs back and forth. Don't rush it, both of mine actually came out intact. Access was aided by the lower fender wells being rusted thru!

Removing the whole socket/reflector assembly also made it easier to clean out the socket with scotchbrite. That internal oxidation is what cause the binding anyway.
Last edited by erco on Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

I have sometimes just broken the bulb and used a needle nose plier to grab the edge of the base and force bend and twist them out.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
rhscholz

Post by rhscholz »

Thank you erco and terribleted for your helpful suggestions, I appreciate this. I finally took out the whole directional light assembly and worked the bulb loose with WD40; this also gave me a chance to do some rust treatment in the well where the directional light assembly is located
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

That is something you want to be very careful with. I've heard stories of severe cuts in people's fingers from broken bulbs.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

joelsplace wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:34 am That is something you want to be very careful with. I've heard stories of severe cuts in people's fingers from broken bulbs.
Yup that is why I have broken a few with a tool before impaling my finger. I also use a thick glove if they do not play nice.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”