Heater problem

All Models and Years
corvair500

Heater problem

Post by corvair500 »

I cant get heater to blow any air (early) , fan runs . Just replaced fan and motor . I can hear it running but get no output. When I changed it I looked inside heater box for any obstruction, it was as clean as one could expect ( maybe more so) . The cables seem to be working . Any ideas ?
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Heater problem

Post by bbodie52 »

The main 1961 Shop Manual has a much more extensive and detailed heater section (attached). Perhaps those pictures and diagrams will help you to locate the problem.

:chevy: :wrench:
Attachments
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 11 - DIRECT AIR HEATER.pdf
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 11 - DIRECT AIR HEATER
(3.13 MiB) Downloaded 39 times
1962-1963 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 11 - Accessories (Adds AC).pdf
1962-1963 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 11 - Accessories (Adds AC)
(4.11 MiB) Downloaded 28 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
terribleted

Re: Heater problem

Post by terribleted »

Could be a broken or loose heater control cable or a heater door not functioning. Could also be a blockage or disconnected or missing hoses in the heater piping anywhere from the engine to the front outlets. Have you check under the rear seat to see what the hoses and distribution parts look like there? Are you sure there is not an obstruction in the rocker panels or rocker panel hoses that is blocking the flow (I assume you are working on an early model Corvair). Rodents like to build nests in the heater systems in these cars and I have found plenty of nests inside the rocker panels (convertible) or rocker panel hoses (coupes and sedans) that were blocking airflow. I have also seen nests in the outboard ends of the heater box where the air flows forward into the car behind the seat that may not be seen from peering into the fan opening.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”