Instrument Panel Indicator Diffusers

All Models and Years
erco

Instrument Panel Indicator Diffusers

Post by erco »

I pulled out my instrument panel to do some work. Among other things, my red high beam indicator light was incredibly dim, and my turn signal indicators were yucky washed out green. Turns out the red high beam diffuser (a molded plastic part) was nearly opaque black; time wasn't kind to it. And both turn signal diffusers (thin green acetate disks) were faded & motley. I yanked all 3 diffusers and bulbs and replaced with 5mm blue LEDs & clear diffuser film for a high tech look. So much better.

Don't get me started on those cheesy cardboard light tubes. They were all unraveling and needed tape to stabilize them. Terrible. Calling them cheesy is a slap in the face to cheese everywhere.
Attachments
IMG_0522.JPG

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Instrument Panel Indicator Diffusers

Post by bbodie52 »

Lack of Respect.jpg
Image :sad5: :confused: :tease: :cussing: :cussing: :puke:

THE CLOCK WASN'T MUCH GOOD EITHER!
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

All I can say is that when those materials were specified, absolutely no one at GM worried about how they would perform over 50 years later. Cardboard was just fine for the first 20-30 years I'll bet. I replace those tubes with some schedule 120 PVC pipe and pop in the latest LEDs. The interior plastic is really brittle out here in the desert so I deal with that daily. Freeze and thaw, fluctuating humidity, summer high heat and UV light kills everything eventually.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

erco wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:34 pm
I pulled out my instrument panel to do some work. Among other things, my red high beam indicator light was incredibly dim, and my turn signal indicators were yucky washed out green. Turns out the red high beam diffuser (a molded plastic part) was nearly opaque black; time wasn't kind to it. And both turn signal diffusers (thin green acetate disks) were faded & motley. I yanked all 3 diffusers and bulbs and replaced with 5mm blue LEDs & clear diffuser film for a high tech look. So much better.

Don't get me started on those cheesy cardboard light tubes. They were all unraveling and needed tape to stabilize them. Terrible. Calling them cheesy is a slap in the face to cheese everywhere.
The nerve of GM making parts that don't last longer than 50 years -- HARDY, HAR, HAR. The expectations of some folks just baffles me.

azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

I can't see any new cars lasting nearly as long as our hobby cars. My modern vehicles are already scuffing major ageing issues.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

erco

Post by erco »

66vairguy wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:32 am
The nerve of GM making parts that don't last longer than 50 years -- HARDY, HAR, HAR. The expectations of some folks just baffles me.
Fear not, 66vg. I found some great replacements from China. Just ask if you need some. :tu:

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:think: I think that Clark's Corvair Parts, other current Corvair Specialty vendors, the late Corvair Underground, etc. had a lot to do with promoting and extending Corvair longevity. They make our successful hobby and Corvair enthusiasm much-more possible. That some components continue to age and fatigue is not really unexpected. Some creativity and ingenuity will, of course, be needed from time to time to keep aging components alive (or to find suitable substitutes). I was particularly impressed with some of the past "war stories" related by some Corvair owners in places like South Africa, the Middle East, the Philippines, South America, Australia, etc. They have long had to be creative in keeping their rare Corvairs alive in areas where suppliers like Clark's Corvair Parts are essentially out of reach (for cost, high shipping and import fees, shipping time delays, etc.) In America we are perhaps a little spoiled by the stronger (and more-affordable) support we have available to us, as well as a supply of donor cars and vendors like the Corvair Ranch, who provide some alternatives not found in the far reaches of the Corvair galaxy. Of course information exchange through CORSA and websites like the Corvair Forum also help a great deal.

Where possible — and where the need dictates it — Clark's and smaller vendors often contract for parts reproduction of critical items, fight for better quality of reproduced parts, develop new distributors, fuel injection, electrical or electronic upgrades, produce better carburetor linkages, adapt disc brake systems, fit larger wheels and modern tires to the Corvair, etc. to keep them rolling on the street. Structural weakness in the Corvair body brought on by age and rust seems to be the greatest enemy.

With all of our efforts and creativity, the aging Corvair survives well-beyond its anticipated lifespan.

:LMs rule: :EMs Rule: :Love it: :guitar: :doh: :oldtimer: :confused: :pray:

Forum Brainstorming.jpg
CORVAIR - Heal Thyself.jpg
Corvair Urn.jpg
Flowerpot (2).jpg
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”