Battery

All Models and Years
rhettmel

Battery

Post by rhettmel »

what size battery for my 65 corvair corsa, 140hp?
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Battery

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum! We would love to see some pictures of your Corvair Corsa and hear more about it!

In a late model (1965-1969) Corvair, there is plenty of room.

But make sure the Positive and Ground cables are correct!

Disconnect, clean, and securely reconnect the positive and negative battery terminals.

BAD GROUND CONNECTION!
Image No direct chassis ground.

Image Correct Wiring

Ensure that the ground cable is attached to BOTH the car chassis AND the engine, as shown in the diagrams below. The engine and transaxle are physically and electrically isolated from the car chassis because of the three rubber engine mounts. If a single battery ground cable is only connected to the chassis, the starter, generator and engine may not be adequately grounded. This could cause starter or generator problems.

The starter needs a ground return path that is equal in wire gauge to the red positive cable that connects directly to the starter motor. That is why it is important to have the negative ground cable connected directly to the engine hardware. All other automobile electrical (lights, radio, ignition, horn, etc.) feed from the smaller gauge wire that goes from the positive terminal to the voltage regulator. The return charging voltage from the generator/regulator back to the battery also can travel on a smaller gauge wire. The heavy current draw from the battery is for the starter motor, and that is why it requires the thickest gauge cable to supply the starter directly. And for every current draw from the battery, an equal return path must exist back to the battery negative terminal to complete the electrical circuit. That is the reason for the thick negative cable from the engine back to the battery. The engine is mounted to the car via rubber engine mounts to provide some vibration isolation between the car frame and the vibrating engine. But this also isolates the engine electrically, so the thick cable cannot be connected only to the car chassis. Doing so would weaken the current capability feeding the starter. Some EM ground cables "daisy chain" from the negative battery terminal to the car frame, and then on to a connection on the engine, near the alternator or generator. This provides adequate ground connectivity for both the car chassis and for the engine.

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=81

I chose a OPTIMA Red Top Battery, Group Size: 34/78.
Advance Auto Parts wrote:The OPTIMA REDTOP high-performance AGM battery is the ULTIMATE POWER SOURCE designed to deliver the strongest starting power. With unparalleled high power delivery and extreme resistance to the most common causes of battery failure, REDTOP is ideal for trucks, SUVs, hot rods, street cars and other high-performance applications that require a spill-proof starting battery.

Product Features:
  • SPIRALCELL TECHNOLOGY with 99.99% pure lead delivers more power and consistently outperforms conventional flat-plate batteries
  • Up to 3 times longer life vs. standard flooded batteries
  • 15x the vibration resistance of a standard flooded battery
  • Completely non-spillable, mountable in many positions
  • Maintenance free for maximum convenience
  • Faster recharging capabilities

Warranty Details (3 YR FREE REPLACEMENT)
My personal preference is to install a plastic battery box like the one pictured below. The inexpensive plastic box can be bolted to the engine compartment and it completely isolates the battery, battery corrosive acid and battery electrical terminals to prevent engine compartment body damage and electrical shorts.

ImageImageImageImage

NOCO HM318BKS Group 24-31 Snap-Top Battery Box for Automotive, Marine, and RV Batteries
:link: https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-HM318BKS-Sn ... attery+box
BCI group 34 batteries physical dimensions are (L x W x H) 10.25 x 6.8125 x 7.875 inches (26 x 17.3 x 20 cm), with the weight varying between 37 and 51 pounds. BCI group 34 batteries are very similar in size to BCI group 24 batteries (10.25 x 6.8125 x 8.875) - group 24 batteries are 1 inch taller.

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers. Clark's Corvair Parts in Shelburne Falls, MA is the biggest and oldest Corvair supplier in the world. You will find a link that can provide you with a series of videos that amount to a tour of the Clark's Corvair Parts facilities. Parts suppliers such as this truly make our Corvair hobby possible.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: http://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewt ... 225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair interests, and your goals for your Corvair. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Detailed pictures of your Corvair — including the engine compartment — would possibly be useful. Knowing your location may also suggest possibilities in supporting your Corvair interests.

:welcome: :welcome2:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

group 24 would be the standard replacement size
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

If you drive your Corvair often a standard battery is fine. Myself I have two Corvairs for fun drives and sometimes they sit for weeks. I got tired of replacing the new batteries every 2-3 years and installed Optima batteries. Going on 8 years and they are still working.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

If any of my vehicles are going to sit more than a couple of days I try to put a Battery Minder on them.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... _200332201
I had an Optima once and mine didn't last any longer than a regular battery for me.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

joelsplace wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:07 pm If any of my vehicles are going to sit more than a couple of days I try to put a Battery Minder on them.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... _200332201
I had an Optima once and mine didn't last any longer than a regular battery for me.
Many years ago Optima opened a new factory and the for a few months they put out some bad batteries. That seems to be history now as I've haven't heard of any issues in years with Optima batteries.

A GOOD battery maintainer extends a battery's life, and the new "paste" batteries require a good unit. I remember the old inexpensive "Battery Tender" units would overcharge a "paste" battery and ruin it. Just me but I wouldn't trust a $39.00 unit. That said the Optima only needs a charge up every week and I don't leave a battery maintainer on it all the time.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

The one I linked to is an excellent unit. It has a desulphate mode that automatically runs once the float charge voltage is reached. It also has temperature compensation. From what I've researched it is one of the best available. If you want to pay more the regular price is $59. They put them on sale last year on Black Friday for $17.99 and there were also $5 off coupons so I bought a bunch at $12.99. I've revived old batteries with them. I have a '66 I bought a couple of years ago with a 7 year old battery in it that would barely start the car. I've had this charger on it now every time I'm not driving it and now the battery is pretty strong.
Northlake, TX
erco

Post by erco »

I went for the 51R battery recommended at viewtopic.php?t=12634

Much smaller & lighter than a size 24 battery. I used this battery hold down bar off Amazon and it works great: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FDXIK3I
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

That is the recommended battery for an EM.
Northlake, TX
erco

Post by erco »

Well the new 51R looks pretty boss in my LM's engine room and doubled my car's value. :chevy:

Yeah, it's a work in progress, that old positive cable will get replaced. All it has to do now is power the stereo. Per Motohead Dave, you gotta crank the tunes when you work on these old gals.
Attachments
51Rbattery.JPG
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Group 51 battery is far weaker than a group 24 battery. Lower CCA and reserve capacity. When it comes to lead acid batteries bigger is better. If you have the space use it!!
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
erco

Post by erco »

terribleted wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:23 am When it comes to lead acid batteries bigger is better.
Especially if you like more rear weight bias! The 51R is significantly lighter than a 24 and should suit my needs in the warm climate of Los Angeles. Getting warmer with all the fires out here.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The attached document was taken from an Auto Zone Article that explains much about automotive batteries and battery terms. It includes general information about Battery Size, Battery Power Ratings, How Long Batteries Last, How Weather Affects Batteries, and Battery Types.

:link: https://www.autozone.com/diy/battery/ca ... -explained
Attachments
Automotive Batteries - Advice.pdf
Automotive Batteries - Advice
(658.93 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
EricStrong

Post by EricStrong »

rhettmel wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:53 pm what size battery for my 65 corvair corsa, 140hp?
It will be the best for you to measure your battery tray and choose a battery with a high CCA battery that will fit your battery tray/place.
Here's a battery size table: https://batterygroupexpert.com/battery- ... nce-table/
and battery descriptions https://batterygroupexpert.com/best-car-battery/
Pay attention to Cold Cranking Amps (CCA), Reserve Capacity (RC), Amp-Hours (AH), and Warranty period

Don't forget to keep the proper polarity, positive and negative posts.
1949chevy

Post by 1949chevy »

I just bought two batteries for my Corvairs...I buy BLEM INTERSTATE batteries. I was disappointed with the one in my yellow 64 convertible...I purchased it 09/17 and replaced it this month 04/21, not quite 4 years. It was a 51R battery. The only good thing was it cost $50.00. They are now $60.00 each. I bought group 35 for both this time. Much stronger than the 51R. These checked around 650 CC Amps each. The other battery was in my 66 and I wanted a new one for it also even though it started the car just fine. The one in my 49 Chevy Fleetline was replaced in Nov of 2019. Its previous BLEM was 11 years old the Interstate folks told me when I traded it in...they said you got your $50.00 worth out of it. Over 10 years ago or longer, I bought an Interstate Battery from a guy that totaled his car, it had never been installed and still was wrapped in plastic for my 68 Corvette. It is still in Corvette and it cranked it up after sitting since 9/19 this past week. I did put a 2 amp charger to it 3 months ago for about 30 min but never started it at that time. I never put a battery tender to any of my batteries. It takes a powerful battery for my Corvette, it has 11:15 to 1 compression. I think I saw 800 CC amp rating on it. It is a MT-78 battery, not for my car as it had side posts but I made it work.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”