The Age old Early Model wheel Question

All Models and Years
NMVair

Re: The Age old Early Model wheel Question

Post by NMVair »

Actually, those are pretty cool Ted! Hmmmmm I'm really liking those. Do they fit perfectly? If they do-there might be another Corvair with those running down the road!!!
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

They clear the fenders with 195/60R 15 tires. The tires will contact the caster rods of the suspension, but only when the steering wheel is truned all the way one way or the other. Steering arms contact the stops just as the corner of the tires contacts the caster rods. Should be no problem as there is no way this will happen at speed unless you are crashing and the rods are smooth so no tire damage even if they rub a little. Installation requires grinding the heads off the rivets holding the brake drums to the front hubs if the are still riveted (replacing drums requires removing the rivets anyway so no issue) unless VTO has modified the wheels by machining some small recesses in the back to clear them since I pointed this out to them.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

Interesting, thank you!!! Would a small spacer work?
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

These are very cool and since they are a bit smaller in width maybe they would be better.......?
https://www.vtowheels.com/Retro-4-14-x- ... p_245.html
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Image :link: https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCl ... lsrc=aw.ds

VN69 ANSEN SPRINT
Polished
$156.91
Availability: Special Order
Set of 4: $627.64
Free Shipping
The most popular Ansen wheel was the Ansen Sprint, which was introduced in 1963. The Sprint was the first "aluminum slot" wheel, being centrifugally cast, a technique seldom used in the wheel industry back then. They were produced on a tracer lathe and shipped in their natural, machined finish

Size:15x7
Offset:0mm
Backspacing:3.94"
Bolt Pattern:5-475 ??????? Picture shows a 4-lug bolt pattern
Earlies use 4 lugs on a 4½" circle (4 x 4½")
Rec. Tire Size:215/65-15
Weight:16.0 lbs.
Finish:Polished
Construction:1pc. Low Pressure Cast

=======================================================================================================================
:link: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/American ... GYQAvD_BwE

$140.00 each :tu:
Get FREE shipping when your order includes this item and exceeds $99! Ground shipping only in the contiguous US :tu:

American Racing VNA695748 Ansen Sprint Series Wheel 15 x 7, 4x4.5
15 Inch m, 7" Width, 4x4.5 in. WhWheel Diameter, Cast Aluminueel Bolt Pattern (in.), Polished

Wheel Diameter: 15 Inch :tu:
Material Type: Cast Aluminum
Width: 7" :tu:
Wheel Bolt Pattern (in.): 4x4.5 in. :tu:
Wheel Bolt Pattern (mm): 4x114.3 mm
Wheel Backspace Range: 4.000" - 4.499" ??? :tu: (Available in 4.499" Backspacing? Perfect! Call and ask!
Wheel Backspace: 4"
Wheel Offset: 0 mm
Finish: Polished
Color: Natural
Beadlock Included: No
Offset: 0 mm
Weight: 16 lbs.
MFG. Part #: VNA695748
Load Capacity: 1580 lbs.
Notes: Polished
GTIN Code: 761138695215
Bolt Pattern: 4 on 4.5

=======================================================================================================================

Image :link: https://www.jegs.com/i/American-Racing/ ... 4/10002/-1

Ignore the 5 lug picture — specs show a 4 lug bolt pattern.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I really like those.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

NMVair wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:27 pm These are very cool and since they are a bit smaller in width maybe they would be better.......?
https://www.vtowheels.com/Retro-4-14-x- ... p_245.html
All depends on the width of the tire. The wheels do not hit anything with the 15's above. If VTO says they fit the early vair they will fit the early vair. be sure to look closely at the notes on their fitment chart. Some wheels will require rolling fenders etc. the ones you link here are 14" and would not extend quite as far toward the inside or outside. a good tire size to use would be a 195/70r 14 as they would have about the same diameter as stock so speedo and engine rpm at speed would be pretty normal.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

I see people putting 7 and 8 inch wheels on early supposedly. These 15x6 contact just barely on the inside at full lock steering and have pretty minimal clearance on the outside when suspension is compressed and extended, but, with zero body modifications. People say you can fit 15" and 16"x 7" and 8" wheels but unless they are using undersized tires or rolling the fender edges I do not see how. Clearance on the 15x6 we used on this vert can not go inward any more and anymore out would likely rub in some conditions.....hmmmm.

joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I'm not sure on EMs but with FCs you gain a lot of clearance at the tie rod when the wheel diameter gets up to 17". FCs and EMs gain rear control arm clearance as the wheel diameter increases also. I'll try to get some pictures of the inner wheel clearance on my Spyder.
Rears on FCs and EMs have the least clearance at ride height. Droop and the tire is clear of the fender and compression causes it to pull away from the fender lip. I have 245/50R16s on a Greenbrier that probably have less than 1/4" of clearance at the lip but it never touches the tire.
Attachments
2018-10-04 14.47.36.jpg
2018-10-04 14.47.58.jpg
Northlake, TX
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

NMVair wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:22 pm Interesting, thank you!!! Would a small spacer work?
A small spacer would likely stop the slight touch (maybe even 1/8" thick would be enough?) at full steering turn but would also make the tire sit out closer to the fender and clearance there is not that large already. Really the very slight touch on the caster rod when the steering wheel is turned ALL THE WAY right or left against the steering stops is not really that relevant. You never steer the car this far when driving and probably would never steer this far even when performing a very tight parking maneuver, if you do you are going what like maybe 2 MPH? If the tire contacts the rod in these conditions all it will do is rub any dust off the very corner of the inside of the tire. The slight contact when and if it ever happened would cause no damage to anything. I would rather have the tire touch in on the round caster rod at full turn than maybe contact the rough inner edge of the fender when a couple 200 pound people are in the front seat while hitting a big bump during a turn at 30 MPH. This of course tears rubber from the tire and can bend the fender.

joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I agree 100%
Northlake, TX
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

joelsplace wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:31 pm I'm not sure on EMs but with FCs you gain a lot of clearance at the tie rod when the wheel diameter gets up to 17". FCs and EMs gain rear control arm clearance as the wheel diameter increases also. I'll try to get some pictures of the inner wheel clearance on my Spyder.
Rears on FCs and EMs have the least clearance at ride height. Droop and the tire is clear of the fender and compression causes it to pull away from the fender lip. I have 245/50R16s on a Greenbrier that probably have less than 1/4" of clearance at the lip but it never touches the tire.
Where I see tight clearance on the EM is at the front fenders with suspension heavily compressed while the steering wheel is turned about 50% or a bit more. I want a tire combination to be able to handle a couple 300 pound dudes in the front seat hitting a speed bump at 40MPH in a 50% turn without the tire contacting the body. The wheel and tire combo I posted above I feel will do this. A buddy has 15x7's with a near zero offset and they will slightly contact the fenders with 2 people in the car during spirited driving and the suspension in deep compression from dips or bumps. Backroads here are not very smooth. His fenders are rolled some as well.

What is the wheel size and tire size on the gold car above? Does rubber ever contact body in extreme driving or rough road conditions (like big dips etc.? Any body mods?

NMVair

Post by NMVair »

I like the ones I have found with Teds help so far but the Ansen's are certainly cool-classic. The only thing about polished aluminum is the redundancy. On the other hand, I wonder if completely blacked out wheels are to much for my white Monza.....but its great to have choices! Thanks Dudes :ty:
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

We considered some of the near black ones for the silver convertible but decided that gunmetal centers were the ticket.

NMVair

Post by NMVair »

As far as the rubbing is concerned-and since the VTO Retro 4's I like are the same width as stock-it seems like it would come down to back spacing. Correct? Ted says tire width is the determinate on rubbing. Little confusing (but I have come a long way) So is there a best size tire that alleviates the rubbing with the Retro 4's? An earlier post pointed out no rubbing with the Ansens, right?
Here is what seems to be a smoking deal on some tires I found on ebay.....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-New-195-70-1 ... 3673576684
So (and I know its lame that I don't already get this by now), would these tires be apt to rub with the VTO Retro 4's?
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

Oh yeah, your car is awesome Ted. Definitely the right choice! It rocks! :guitar:

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”