Idler Arm

All Models and Years
orbitus

Idler Arm

Post by orbitus »

1966 Corsa.
Replaced the idler arm with a new Clark's reproduction part. This eliminated the rattle in the front end, but now the car does not steer correctly. It drove better with the old part. It now wanders and is hard to control, expecially on a bumpy road. The tires "chirp" when I hit a bump. What's going on?
terribleted

Re: Idler Arm

Post by terribleted »

Did you get a wheel alignment after changing the idler arm? Is an essential part of any steering part change. Your toe-in is likely off. What it the condition of the pitman arm bushing? Usually when an idler arm is bad enough to make noise the pitman arm bushing is bad also.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
orbitus

Post by orbitus »

Thanks for the input. I have the new bushing, etc. for the pitman arm, but am having difficulty getting the nut loose that holds to the steering box. Also difficult to get to the top nut that connects to the drag link. All the cotter pins had become one with the castelated nuts. Any hints on those problems. Also, at 74 years old it is no fun laying on your back under the front end, even with ramps.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

orbitus wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:57 pm Thanks for the input. I have the new bushing, etc. for the pitman arm, but am having difficulty getting the nut loose that holds to the steering box. Also difficult to get to the top nut that connects to the drag link. All the cotter pins had become one with the castelated nuts. Any hints on those problems. Also, at 74 years old it is no fun laying on your back under the front end, even with ramps.
You do not take the big nut off the steering box to change the pitman arm bushing. You separate the pitman arm from the drag link at the pitman arm bushing (small nut and cotter pin and pickle fork). Take the drag link out of the car. Replace the pitman bushing and re-install the drag link. If the cotter and nut are fused, cut the nut off and replace the nut cotter and bolt...simple. This is the most critical component beside the box itself for tight steering. If you can not get the castle nuts off the tie rod ends, cut them too and replace the tie rod ends. While your at it if the stuff is that rusty replace the adjuster sleeves, clamps and bolts as well.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
orbitus

Post by orbitus »

Thanks so much. Great and clear info.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

I'll add that the stock "rubber" pitman arm bushing works fine. Some like the nylon insert, but they often need to be modified to fit correctly and the improvement in steering "feel/precision" is not much. Also on rough roads the nylon bushing transmits more shock to the steering box and steering wheel. Finally - my experience is the nylon wears faster and requires lubrication. Just my two cents.
orbitus

Post by orbitus »

One more question. New idler is installed, but it looks to me like it hangs down below the other parts. Only 5-1/2" between the ground and the bottom of the idler. Is that right? Does this mean that my drag link is bent? I don't see any evidence of that. The front cowling is nearly 10" from the ground, but the idler hangs below that.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Is the new idler different from the old one?
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
orbitus

Post by orbitus »

Idler arm is from Clark's and is identical to the old one.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

orbitus wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:38 am Idler arm is from Clark's and is identical to the old one.
The factory idler arm did NOT have a grease fitting (one reason they are always worn out now). The new one should have a grease fitting.
orbitus

Post by orbitus »

The new one does have a grease fitting.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”