Stinger Distributor

All Models and Years
lalkie01

Stinger Distributor

Post by lalkie01 »

I have 65 Corsa and am looking at replacing the distributor. Apparently I need a the secondary pivot bracket off a 66 4 carb engine. What exactly does the different 66 secondary pivot bracket do? Does it raise the linkage so it does not interfere. Does it set the linkage father back? I would appreciate an information that would help. Possibly a picture. Thanks Larry
66vairguy

Re: Stinger Distributor

Post by 66vairguy »

lalkie01 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:47 pm I have 65 Corsa and am looking at replacing the distributor. Apparently I need a the secondary pivot bracket off a 66 4 carb engine. What exactly does the different 66 secondary pivot bracket do? Does it raise the linkage so it does not interfere. Does it set the linkage father back? I would appreciate an information that would help. Possibly a picture. Thanks Larry

Just me but I'd rather use a good rebuilt 140HP stock distributor. Seth Emerson originally sold the Stinger and was helpful getting timing curves set up. Unfortunately Seth didn't have an exclusive contract and now these "Chinese" distributors are sold via other sources that offer little or no support.

The Stinger distributor is larger. I suspect that's why you need the 66 and newer secondary lever. In 66 A/C was available on the 140HP (not available in 65) which required some head revisions to support the bigger 140HP A/C bracket. One revision was bigger "tin" bolts (that also held the A/C bracket in place) and the engineers discovered the secondary carb lever was too close to the larger bolt head. The engineers revised the secondary lever on the 66 four carb engines for more clearance.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:link: http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,1011069
Seth Emerson wrote:New Direction for Performance Corvairs
Posted by: Seth Emerson
Date: January 08, 2019 12:28PM

New Direction for Performance Corvairs in 2019

I have enjoyed spending the last six years developing and supplying the Stinger Ignition Distributor for street Corvairs. I helped the manufacturer design the unit to meet the unique Corvair requirements. I modified them for specific applications, primarily racing. That has now become the focus for Performance Corvairs and the Stinger ignition. I have decided to take my company out of the street Corvair market for these units and deal only with racing applications.

The street units are still in full production and will continue to be sold through other channels, along with repair and maintenance items. Besides setting them up and selling them directly, I have been supplying the distributors to the major Corvair parts dealers. Both Clarks Corvair Parts and California Corvair Parts will continue to provide the distributors and the parts for them. I still believe in this HEI ignition distributor as a great upgrade for street performance, the product will stand on its own. I will continue to respond to product inquiries and any performance issues/questions for customers. I will do my best to support the units previously sold, under applicable warrantee. I will continue to offer repair services at cost and I intend to maintain my reputation for fast response. I will supply parts and information or point you in the right direction.
I will provide a parts list for anybody who wants it, including a list of replacement pieces that are available. I do not anticipate any supply issues, since many parts are common to other units. I will also supply a service guide for the distributor, in PDF form, upon request. Assembly and disassembly of the distributor is not difficult, and only a few tools are needed. If you can disassemble and reassemble a stock Corvair distributor, you can do this one.

In the last year, I have been addressing the specific needs of the racers, with a complete performance/racing set-up. Those are the only ignition distributors and systems I will be supplying, and I will sell directly to the racers. If you have a need for this, contact me.
I will continue to supply ignition wire sets to fit either style of distributor caps, as well as for the stock Corvair distributors, (as I have for more than 40 years).

If you have any questions, an E-mail is probably the easiest way to reach me.
Thank You

Seth Emerson
Performance Corvair
3462 Kirkwood Dr.
San Jose, CA 95117-1549

sethracer@aol.com

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site https://www.perfvair.com/
Attachments
Seth Emerson Regular - Installation Instructions Electronic Distributor Rev A.pdf
Seth Emerson Regular - Installation Instructions Electronic Distributor Rev A
(345.53 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Stinger Distributor - Care and Feeding of.pdf
Stinger Distributor - Care and Feeding of
(1.81 MiB) Downloaded 32 times
Stinger Distributor - Information on Distributor Applications.pdf
Stinger Distributor - Information on Distributor Applications
(636.64 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Care and Feeding of Stinger Distributor Rev C.pdf
Care and Feeding of Stinger Distributor Rev C
(1.9 MiB) Downloaded 33 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I'm not familiar with the linkage clearance issues between the 1965 secondary linkage and the Stinger distributor. Rebuilding the stock distributor and perhaps upgrading it with a breakerless ignition system such as the Crane Cams/FAST XR700 (Optical Trigger/runs on voltage reduced by the ballast resistor circuit in the Corvair wiring harness, do not power the XR700 module with full 12 VDC) or the Pertronix Ignitor or Ignitor II (the latter is not recommended for Powerglide-equipped Corvairs, ballast resistor wire bypass recommended for Pertronix) is always an option, but I think I would prefer the Stinger distributor.

ELECTRONIC DISTRIBUTOR UPGRADE/REPLACEMENT OPTIONS
:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=15101

The custom aftermarket carburetor throttle linkage systems offered in the attached Roger Parent Catalog may be of some use in resolving your clearance issues with the carburetor linkage. You may also want to contact Seth Emerson or Roger Parent to discuss these issues.
Attachments
Roger Parent Catalog 11-02-19.pdf
Roger Parent Catalog 11-02-19
(1.69 MiB) Downloaded 29 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
lalkie01

Post by lalkie01 »

Thanks I have purchased the proper linkage. Larry

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”