How to tighten vent window

All Models and Years
rustbelt

How to tighten vent window

Post by rustbelt »

Hello everybody.
Currently the passenger side vent window on my 65 Monza will not stay open. Everything seals up nicely, but when opened, it will not stay in a fixed position. How can I tighten things up so that it stays open?
1962 Monza 900
terribleted

Re: How to tighten vent window

Post by terribleted »

Might just need to tighten the adjustment in the vent assembly. To gain access you must take the door panel off for sure. There is a single nut under a tensioning spring under the bottom pivot of the window. There should be a metal tab lock that you would bend out so you can adjust it tighter and bend the lock in again. I am not positive of you can do this easily with the vent window assembly in the car but i would try before removing the assembly to do it.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Ted is correct. I've never done one in the car, but maybe. I've never seen the vent window get loose unless someone didn't bend the nut locking tab over, or the fiber washer broke. I suppose the spring could have broken.

I suspect it's nearly impossible work on unless the vent window frame assembly is removed. I've only removed/installed four and it's a job. After installing the frame it requires time and patience to adjust the frame to fit the door opening. Clark's sells repro chrome hardware and plastic washers.
rustbelt

Post by rustbelt »

Thanks guys.
Can anyone else whose already dealt with this say for sure that it can be done without removing the assembly completely?
If it can be tightened without removal, great. If the vent window must be removed, I'll probably postpone as a winter project in the garage.
1962 Monza 900
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

rustbelt wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:35 am Thanks guys.
Can anyone else whose already dealt with this say for sure that it can be done without removing the assembly completely?
If it can be tightened without removal, great. If the vent window must be removed, I'll probably postpone as a winter project in the garage.
I just looked at a door I have downstairs with no interior panel on it. I would say there is not enough access to do this adjustment. Means the fuzzies and vent window assembly will need to be removed from the door.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
rustbelt

Post by rustbelt »

Thank you sir for taking the time to check and respond, I appreciate it. Looks like I'll be pulling the vent window out.
1962 Monza 900
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Page 7-37 in the attached 1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - DOORS - Part 2 of 4 addresses adjusting the ventilator window tension. The procedure for pulling the window out of the door is also covered in this manual.
Ventilator Window Adjustment.jpg

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers. Clark's Corvair Parts in Shelburne Falls, MA is the biggest and oldest Corvair supplier in the world. You will find a link that can provide you with a series of videos that amount to a tour of the Clark's Corvair Parts facilities. Parts suppliers such as this truly make our Corvair hobby possible.

The complete 1966 Fisher Body Service Manual can be downloaded in Adobe Reader (.pdf) format using the link below...

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:chevy: :wrench:
Attachments
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - DOORS - Part 1 of 4.pdf
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - DOORS - Part 1 of 4
(6.71 MiB) Downloaded 28 times
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - DOORS - Part 2 of 4.pdf
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - DOORS - Part 2 of 4
(9.83 MiB) Downloaded 22 times
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - DOORS - Part 3 of 4.pdf
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - DOORS - Part 3 of 4