EM 63 axle bearing

All Models and Years
RoaringRiverRanger

EM 63 axle bearing

Post by RoaringRiverRanger »

I finally got my axle yoke apart and am able to look at my axle and bearings. It looks pretty shot and there is metal to metal wear on the axle shaft itself.... Looks like a good place for a source of sound and noise that I've been experiencing?
Attachments
20200825_132447.jpg
Steve
Cassville, MO
1965 Corsa Coupe
1963 Greenbrier
joelsplace

Re: EM 63 axle bearing

Post by joelsplace »

You can't see if the bearing is damaged at all from that view. You can just barely see the inside edge of the race.
That shiny area on the axle shouldn't touch anything.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

You need to go to a shop that will remove the bearing with a big press. I had to have a guy with a 50 ton press remove mine, they did come off at 36 tons. New bearings are expensive but Clark's has what you need. Mine are nice & quiet now. The new ones have to be pressed on too.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

It takes a special tool to remove the Corvair bearing without breaking the puller ring and ruining the bearing. I guess if it is already bad it doesn't matter.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
RoaringRiverRanger

Ordered assembly from Clarks....will be here Friday. Hoping this was my noise!
Steve
Cassville, MO
1965 Corsa Coupe
1963 Greenbrier
Wagon Master

Post by Wagon Master »

Was there a deflector, Clark's part #C1385 or a lock ring #C5442 present on that axle?
RoaringRiverRanger

Yes there were both on this axle. The dust cover was rusted to the backing plate and had to be pried off.
Steve
Cassville, MO
1965 Corsa Coupe
1963 Greenbrier
RoaringRiverRanger

New axle installed....still have noise. Looking for someone to help diagnose before I throw more money at it. Anyone know anyone who might be close to Cassville Missouri who could help?
Steve
Cassville, MO
1965 Corsa Coupe
1963 Greenbrier
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:doh: :dontknow: :helpsos: I don't see where you actually described the symptoms or the noise you are experiencing. Perhaps if you provided us with a detailed description of the noise, describe when it occurs, when it changes (and under what driving conditions), gets louder or changes pitch, etc. someone on this Forum might be able to provide some ideas. Noise sources can sometimes "telegraph" through the car chassis and confuse your hearing as to the exact source location of "the noise".

You mentioned once that you had difficulty getting your heater fan motor to work. That fan motor is also near the rear passenger side wheel. Is there any chance your heater fan is making a grinding noise? Also, could there be a brake component dragging and generating a grinding noise?
RoaringRiverRanger wrote:...Anyone know anyone who might be close to Cassville Missouri who could help?
Unfortunately, you appear to be in the middle of nowhere — as far as "local" Corvair Clubs go. (Still, you have a Walmart and a McDonald's, so you have some signs of civilization!) ::-): You might check out the CORSA club websites (listed below) and perhaps contact them to see if they have any Corvair support recommendations. This list might also be helpful if you ever venture out in your Corvair and have any kind of mechanical problems some significant distance from your home. I always have my Auto Club (AAA) membership card for towing, and never journey out without my cell phone!

Green Country Corvair Group (147 Miles) Broken Arrow, OK (Tulsa Area) :link: https://tulsacorvair.com/

Heart of America Corvair Owners (179 Miles) Belton, MO (Kansas City Area) :link: http://www.hacoa.org/

Mid-Continent Corvair Assn. (244 Miles) Bel Aire, KS (Wichita Area) :link: http://www.corvair.org/chapters/chapter672/

Arkansas Corvair Club (248 Miles) Little Rock, AR :link: https://www.arcorvairclub.org/

Show-Me Corvair Club (270 Miles) Arnold, MO (St Louis Area) :link: http://www.showmecorvairclub.org/

ImageImageImage

Image :link: https://www.corvair.org/index.php/compo ... =9&reset=0
CORSA Chapter Map :link: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ie ... OetRu1qZuU
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Did you replace both bearings or just one??????????? Did you inspect the u-joints?
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
RoaringRiverRanger

Ok here we go...when driving the car, a 4 spd, I get a noise like a bad spot on a tire and that you hear every rotation...wa...wa...wa..wa..wa. It sounds like to me it's coming from the passenger rear, where I replaced the bearing. Was advised "if it's making noise, it's bad." So, I replaced the passenger axle bearing assembly and still have the noise. The noise speeds up rotations as the car speeds up. Pushing brakes or clutch does not affect this noise. I can't replicate this on stands and it has brand new, correct tires on it. I also changed out the diff/trans lube with Royal Purple. It still sounds like it's coming from passenger rear however I do have a high frequency hearing loss and pinpointing anything is tricky. I've tried contacting Mike Dawson, Rafee and several others as recommended and can't seem to get anyone to answer or call me back. My guy who lives local is a LM person and doesn't know much about the EM transaxle system. I get on the forums and get lots of guesses but I really need someone close who can diagnose this for me. My local shops look at me like I have two heads when I ask them. Yes, I only replaced one and put in new u-joints....$500 from Clarks, really don't want to do the other if I don't need to, there are no shops with 40 ton presses around me that do this type of work...frustrating.
Steve
Cassville, MO
1965 Corsa Coupe
1963 Greenbrier
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Any noticeable vibration associated with the noise? Have you changed the tires or moved them around to try to isolate the sound. Could be a bad tire? a separating belt inside a tire can make a noise like you describe. How old are the tires? If they are over about 7 years old they need to be replaced anyway. I would be looking closely for any shiny spots around the brake backing plate. Could be something bent a little that contacts the drum in rotation. The early axle bearings move the drum off square when the car is jacked so the noise may not be present when jacked do to this change in drum angle.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
RoaringRiverRanger

Brand new tires. Definitely something rubbing, not really a grinding or thump. No vibration, car runs and drives great.
Steve
Cassville, MO
1965 Corsa Coupe
1963 Greenbrier
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

I would swap the tires around anyway just to see, unless of course the noise did not change when the tires were installed. If there is no sign of any rubbing anywhere and axle bearings and u-joints are good, no tire issues etc., it kind of points to internal differential noise. Wear or bad adjustment maybe? Is it a loud impending doom noise? Sometimes one must just operate with a symptom until it's cause becomes more obvious:/
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
RoaringRiverRanger

It's pretty loud, makes me cringe to drive it very far. Was doing this prior to putting the new tires on.
Steve
Cassville, MO
1965 Corsa Coupe
1963 Greenbrier
RoaringRiverRanger

Steve
Cassville, MO
1965 Corsa Coupe
1963 Greenbrier

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”