Choke rod disconnected

All Models and Years
Walt

Choke rod disconnected

Post by Walt »

Ok... so as I've mentioned in my intro, I'm new to Corvairs but I am spending a lot of time learning about them and working at fixing some of the issues my 1964 has come with. The other day, I turned my attention to the top of the engine, as my attention has primarily been on the underside so far. And I noticed that what I learned was the choke rod was actually not attached to any part of the carburetor! And it looks like the previous owner fitted a wire to where the choke rod should connect to (see the photo). Now, the car starts up just fine and basically runs fine (I should mention here that the car did not come with either lower shroud either). My question is... what would this accomplish other than totally disengaging the automatic choke? Is this an indication that the rest of the choke (i.e. the spring at the other end) maybe wasn't working? Or was this necessary since the lower shrouds were removed? I'd appreciate any insight as my first thought was to take off that horizontal wire and get the choke set back up, but I don't want to fix it if it ain't broke!

Thanks!
Walt
Attachments
20200823_183144.jpg
terribleted

Re: Choke rod disconnected

Post by terribleted »

Yes that wire is holding the choke wide open, disabling it. You can certainly try adjusting the chokes and reconnecting the rods per the shop manual and see how they function.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The automatic choke on that side could have been sticking because of a bent or distorted rod, or a problem with the coil at the bottom. You will need to carefully examine each segment of the choke linkage to determine the cause. The bottom coil assembly can be replaced, and other parts are also available. Apparently the previous owner chose to simply disconnect the choke mechanism and tie it fully open, rather than perform the needed troubleshooting and fault isolation to determine the cause of his problems so it could be corrected.

I have included a great deal of material below to assist you. The first attached guide book, DELCO ROCHESTER - Models H, HV Carburetor Service Guide, describes carburetor operation of the various subsystems and components — including the choke mechanism. The first year for Corvair, 1960, utilized a unique choke system that was quickly abandoned. 1961 was a transition year without an automatic choke, and with a cable -operated manual choke system instead. In 1962 a newly designed automatic choke system was implemented, and this system remained in-use for the remaining years of Corvair production — through 1969. Each of these choke systems are described in the Delco carburetor service guide.

The attached 1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - CARBURETOR & FUEL SYSTEM has many detailed illustrations and drawings to supplement those found in the shop manuals and supplements. The final two shop manual supplements: 1964 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 7 - Engine Tune-Up and 1964 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 9 - Fuel & Exhaust Systems, overlap and work together to describe maintenance, repair and adjustment of the 1964 fuel system, which differed somewhat from the system described in the base 1961 Corvair Shop Manual.

Catalog pages 55-73 cover almost every aspect of fuel system components and upgrades...

Image :link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... ow_page=55
Automatic Choke Coil & Bracket : Attaches to the head. The bimetallic coils fatigue and do not respond as quickly or with as much force as when new. Your choke may not open or close as fully and as quickly as it should. These are exact replacements for 1964–69. (1962–63 owners: These will fit and work but you also need to order the 1964–69 upper rod – C885 #44). C1168 6 oz.

Part number C885: 64-69 CARB CHOKE ROD-ALSO FOR 62-63 IF THEY ARE GETTING THE NEW CHOKE COIL (C1168)

Weight: 0 lbs 1 oz
Catalog Page(s): 16,56(44),U-8(44)
Price: $ 8.20

Part number C1168: AUTOMATIC CHOKE COIL/BRACKET-62-69,62-63 OWNER ALSO ORD C885 UPPER ROD,RETAINRS=C1168R

Weight: 0 lbs 6 oz
Catalog Page(s): 16,56(46)
Price:
1 - 1 $ 20.45
2+ $ 18.85

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... ow_page=56

Automatic Choke Coil & Bracket : Attaches to the head. The bimetallic coils fatigue and do not respond as quickly or with as much force as when new. Your choke may not open or close as fully and as quickly as it should. These are exact replacements for 1964–69.

Part number C1168: AUTOMATIC CHOKE COIL/BRACKET-62-69,62-63 OWNER ALSO ORD C885 UPPER ROD,RETAINRS=C1168R

Weight: 0 lbs 6 oz
Catalog Page(s): 16,56(46)

Original Style Choke Coil Retainers: Set of 4 = 2 standard size and 2 oversize plus a drill for oversize and instructions. Hold coil to head.

Part number C1168R: ORIG STYLE CHOKE COIL RETAINERS SET/4 2 ORIGINAL, 2 OS & 1 DRILL BIT (1 SET/CAR)

Weight: 0 lbs 2 oz
Catalog Page(s): 56(46)
Price: $ 5.75

The entire shop manual and many other Corvair technical references can be downloaded at no cost using the following link...

Common and Useful Corvair Websites
:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

Watching the video presentations below helps to provide insight and understanding about proper sequencing of the tuneup steps and procedures. Skipping around can insert obstacles and problems with getting the engine properly tuned.

The portion of the first video segment toward the end (Part 1, 5:10) and at the beginning of the second segment discusses throttle linkage adjustments and carburetor synchronization.
Tuning the Corvair Engine — Part 1

Tuning The Corvair Engine — Part 2

:chevy: :wrench:
Attachments
DELCO ROCHESTER - Models H, HV Carburetor Service Guide.pdf
DELCO ROCHESTER - Models H, HV Carburetor Service Guide
(1.79 MiB) Downloaded 38 times
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - CARBURETOR & FUEL SYSTEM.pdf
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - CARBURETOR & FUEL SYSTEM
(3.92 MiB) Downloaded 31 times
1964 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 7 - Engine Tune-Up.pdf
1964 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 7 - Engine Tune-Up
(931.65 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
1964 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 9 - Fuel & Exhaust Systems.pdf
1964 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 9 - Fuel & Exhaust Systems
(3.99 MiB) Downloaded 31 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Walt

Post by Walt »

Thank you both for your replies and Brad, for all of the links and photos. However, I guess my main question was is there a good reason for him to have done that given the lower shrouds are gone as well? Or do you think it was just laziness and not wanting to troubleshoot as Brad mentioned?
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

If it starts and runs fine he probably didn't have a big reason to fix it.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
Walt

Post by Walt »

Gotcha! Thanks!
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Walt wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:43 pm Thank you both for your replies and Brad, for all of the links and photos. However, I guess my main question was is there a good reason for him to have done that given the lower shrouds are gone as well? Or do you think it was just laziness and not wanting to troubleshoot as Brad mentioned?
Unless the chokes do not get to operating temp so they open the chock valves all the way because of the lower shrouds being off, there would be no reason to defeat the choke. I have run no lower shrouds before and found no issues with the chokes not working ok. That said I did not do this when the temps were below freezing wither.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Needing the chokes depends on your engine setup and air temps where you live. My chokes are disconnected and loose. They stay open on their own. I don't need the choke function nor do I need the cold engine fast idle feature you would lose by unhooking the chokes. I live in a very hot area and using the chokes is not needed. I also leave my damper doors open and sometime have no lower shrouds at all so the choke coils would be slower to operate fully.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
Walt

Post by Walt »

I am just seeing these last 2 replies thank you both for sharing your insights with me... That was kind of what I was thinking since the lower shrouds are gone no heat is collecting under there and maybe the chokes wouldn't fully work. I live on the California coast so it's actually fairly warm where I live so maybe I will just leave these as they are unless I eventually find some lower shrouds and put them back on so the heater can work in the winter. Again thank you both for your responses have a great night!
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

I bet they would work fine. the chokes are sandwiched between the combustion chamber and the exhaust manifold. Pretty hot there shrouds or not. but really not all that necessary when it is warm out.

azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

As I said, the chokes will work without shrouds or damper doors but they are much slower to actuate and that means in warm climates the chokes stay engaged far long than needed if at all. I could adjust the choke pull off settings and such so I would still have some choke function but if I can start and drive without it why bother? If I happen to take the car up north and it's cold overnight, I can easily clip the linkage back to the arms.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”