Windshield Pillar Cover Removal

All Models and Years
Stilo

Windshield Pillar Cover Removal

Post by Stilo »

Hello Forum Members,

On a 65 Convertible Monza, how are the plastic windshield pillar covers removed? There is one screw at the bottom, and they y are tucked under a chrome cap at the top. I removed two screws from the top end chrome cap, but the cap does not come off? Is it glued in place?
terribleted

Re: Windshield Pillar Cover Removal

Post by terribleted »

It has body sealer under it.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Stilo

Re: Winshield Pillar Cover Removal

Post by Stilo »

Heat gun / hair dryer then?
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

THERE IS A SCREW IN THE END CAP!! It's been a while, but I recall the visors and brackets have to be removed to get the end cap off or loose enough to remove the pillar trim (I think that screw goes through the plastic pillar cover at the top). It's been years so hopefully someone with recent experience can confirm

The factory put a lot of body putty under those caps. 3M still makes ribbon body caulk in grey or black. It's the consistency of kids play dough. Also used to stick the paper liner to the door below the door panel to keep water off the inner door panel. See https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/ ... 020&rt=rud

Just me, but I would NOT use a heat gun!! Plastic parts will warp and the you can crack the windshield if heat is concentrated in one spot.

Those old plastic pillar covers are very fragile!!!!
terribleted

Re: Winshield Pillar Cover Removal

Post by terribleted »

I am thinking there is a screw holding the end on as well. small screw that holds the top of the windshield pillar weatherstrip to the post may also hold the end of the cap. I would make sure all the screws are out and use a thin putty knife to try to get under the cap to loosen the non hardening sealer. (Hopefully someone has not put something more obnoxious under it in the past.)
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Stilo

Post by Stilo »

Taking a all this very useful discussion into consideration, I will skip the heat gun and use a hair dry instead (lower and and less concentrated heat) with a putty knife. I will report my progress afterward. Thank you!
Stilo

Post by Stilo »

After removing all the screws (including the one in the door frame) and the visor hinge, I used a hair dryer to soften the body filler (like putty) and pried the chrome cap gently with a screw driver. Thank you for the helpful information.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Glad it worked out. Convertibles have a lot of "unique" build features compared to fixed roof Corvairs.

If you notice the one or both rear fenders arc above the engine lid you'll find it's the added braces (convertible only) that are spot welded under the seal/drain channel of the rear fender. Sometimes the factory folks pulled the brace too far toward the center of the car before spot welding it in place that bows the fender up a little. I've had to cut out the spot welds and reposition the brace to get the fender line to match the engine lid curve

Good luck with the car.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”