Oil cooler

All Models and Years
monzadon

Oil cooler

Post by monzadon »

How much torque do you use for the oil cooler? My book says 50 foot pounds, to me that sounds pretty high, i am afraid I'll pull the threads out of the head with that amount of torque, if that should happen i could put in a heliCoil but i really don't want to have to do that
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: Oil cooler

Post by azdave »

I do the torque by feel and only get out the TQ wrench on serious stuff and this isn't one of those bolts. Someone will post a number for you soon because we all have to get a feel for it but keep in mind that the oil cooler has two rubber ring compression gaskets with a positive stop on the mating parts so you cannot over compress those seals past the point intended. Once the oil cooler bolt has been tightened to the point that the gaskets are compressed and the aluminum face of the cooler is touching the aluminum adapter block, any additional tightening of the bolt is not doing anything further to compress the seals. I would not tighten that bolt any more than I would the bolt on top of the oil filter. You did put in two new seals correct? ::-):
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

monzadon wrote:...My book says 50 foot pounds, to me that sounds pretty high...
:whoa: :eek:

If you want engine torque specifications, most can be found in the Corvair Shop Manuals (attached). The oil cooler seals are a foam-like rubber material that crushes between the oil cooler and the oil cooler adapter, so the amount of torque applied is not critical to the seal effectiveness, as long as the bolt is not over-tightened enough to strip the aluminum threads or so loose that vibration causes the bolt to loosen. The accuracy of a foot pound torque wrench at such a low number (8-12 ft. lbs.) is marginal. Better to use an inch pound torque wrench for accuracy (96-144 in.lbs) (To convert foot-pounds to inch-pounds, multiply the foot-pound value by 12).

VITON oil cooler seals probably hold up better as they withstand prolonged heat exposure better and are less-likely to become hardened or deformed so they are less-likely to develop leaks.

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog.cgi?show_page=4

Part number C123C: VITON OIL COOLER SEALS-SET 2

Weight: 0 lbs 2 oz
Catalog Page(s): 4,12(60)
Price:
1 - 1 $ 4.25

Oil Cooler Torque Specs (1961)
Oil Cooler Torque Specs (1961)
Oil Cooler Torque Specs (1965)
Oil Cooler Torque Specs (1965)
:chevy:
Attachments
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION - SPECIFICATIONS.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION - SPECIFICATIONS
(2.83 MiB) Downloaded 14 times
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 12 - Specifications.pdf
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 12 - Specifications
(346.54 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
monzadon

Post by monzadon »

Thanks for all.the information i read the torque specs wrong i have a inch pound wrench and regarding the seals i did replace them from clarks but when i took the cooler off somehow one was missing and the bolt that holds the cooler on ended up.breaking about one inch from the end the center of the bolt looked like it corroded causing it to break

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”