Lifters

All Models and Years
monzadon

Lifters

Post by monzadon »

I just rebuilt my140 motor and cold adjusted the valves according to the shop manual, i started the motor and the lifters are noisy,.how long do i need to run the motor to make sure the lifters are primed,and if i need to adjust them with the motor running do i have to remove the mufflers to do this, i have the half valve covers for doing this
terribleted

Re: Lifters

Post by terribleted »

You can adjust the valves running right away after starting the engine. If you have a regular dual exhaust with U-pipes you can jackstand the car high enough for the mufflers to clear when they are rotated down under the oil pan. Simply remove the rear hanger straps and loosen the exhaust to manifold nuts and rotate them down under the car. Re-tighten the manifold nuts. Remove the valve covers and inspect the valve train for any obvious damage or things out of place. Try to rattle each rocker arm up and down off the valves. If you find a loose one tighten it until it does not rattle...but no more. Install 1/2 covers and start the engine. What you want to do is find the noisy ones. Sometimes it is fairly easy, but if there are many it can be annoying sometimes. What you want to do is tighten the noisy ones until they are just quiet for now. Sometimes you can feel the noisy ones by placing you finger on top[ of the rocker arm and feeling the tappity tap. Beyond that it is more or less trial and error elimination of noisy lifters. You can adjust one that you think is noisy inward fairly quickly around 1/8 turn or so. Often if it is noisy this will change the noise. Once you get them all quiet., start one one end of one head and work your way around loosening until tapping and waiting a good 30 secs to see if the lifter may pump up and get quiet. If it does loosen again and wait again. Once the lifter keeps tapping while you wait then tighten it until it is just quiet again. I complete all lifters to this adjustment. I start at the beginning again and loosen the lifters until they tap, wait, etc., but this time I adjust the rocker nuts in 3/8 of a turn slowly , setting my final 3/8 turn in preload. (Some replacement lifters are happy with more preload, many are not) . Continue around the engine until all are set at 3/8 turn in.

At this point you should be done, BUT, I would leave the car in the air with the adjusting covers in place until the next day when the car is stone cold and start the engine again. I have on more than a few occasions come back the next day and found a new engine running rough because a valve has become adjusted too tight somehow holding open a little on cold start. If this happens I go under with my wrench and loosen each rocker nut quickly 1/8 turn. If the miss goes away I am on the right one. If it did not make a difference I tighten it back the 1/8 turn and move to the next. When I find one that is tight and loosen it the engine will smooth out. I want to repeat my loosen until clatter, wait , tighten to 3/8 turn in again on any that were doing this. At this point I finish any tuning I might still have to do and shut it down leaving it for one more cold start the next day. It is very rare to need to go back and adjust this next day. I just have been bitten a couple times on the first go round and rather than assume it will be fine I just take it slow rather than installing and removing valve covers over and over:)
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
monzadon

Re: Lifters

Post by monzadon »

Thanks for the fast response turning the exhaust down sure is a big help

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”