Oil pan seeping oil

All Models and Years
monzadon

Oil pan seeping oil

Post by monzadon »

I just rebuilt my 140 motor and now the oil pan is dripping a little oil, is there a secret way to stop this from dripping, i made sure the pan was flat and it has a new cork gasket
terribleted

Re: Oil pan seeping oil

Post by terribleted »

Leaking from the edge at the gasket or at the drain plug or ? If the gasket itself is not sealing and the surfaces were spotless and flat it should seal. Try a touch snugger maybe? If that does not get it maybe you will have to use a smear of something like permatex #2 on the gasket to get it to seal.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
monzadon

Post by monzadon »

Thanks i think maybe the problem might have been caused when i pulled the bell.housing to replace the crank seal after i had the oil.pan on,I'm going to pull the pan and put a new gasket on it and put some permatex #2 on it, it looked like the bell housing didn't damage the gasket but maybe it did, thanks again
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

monzadon wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:37 pm Thanks i think maybe the problem might have been caused when i pulled the bell.housing to replace the crank seal after i had the oil.pan on,I'm going to pull the pan and put a new gasket on it and put some permatex #2 on it, it looked like the bell housing didn't damage the gasket but maybe it did, thanks again
This is likely. The oil pan should be off when removing and installing the bellhousing. It is possible to r+r the bellhousing with the pane attached to the block but sealing it at he pan is hit or miss when done this way.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
monzadon

Post by monzadon »

Thanks, i read that if i pulled the bell housing that way that i was taking a chance the gasket could get damaged

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”