Air flow out of rear outlet flaps

All Models and Years
JDGriggs

Air flow out of rear outlet flaps

Post by JDGriggs »

I noticed yesterday that the airflow out of the bellows controlled rear outlet doors on my '66 monza 110 is noticeably different between the passenger side and the drivers side. The drivers side seems to have more airflow through it. Is that to be expected?
stevevancour

Re: Air flow out of rear outlet flaps

Post by stevevancour »

I also am curious about these flaps. On my 64 Monza the left flap is always open, I assume that’s because it also is on the side of the oil cooler. But the right side is always closed. I assume this may be due to a bad bellows. The engine starts and runs fine after sitting for a couple of years, and there is definitely more air coming out of the left open side then there is from the closed right side. Should I manually open this side up and replace the dampers on both sides? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Steve
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

stevevancour wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:10 pm I also am curious about these flaps. On my 64 Monza the left flap is always open, I assume that’s because it also is on the side of the oil cooler. But the right side is always closed. I assume this may be due to a bad bellows. The engine starts and runs fine after sitting for a couple of years, and there is definitely more air coming out of the left open side then there is from the closed right side. Should I manually open this side up and replace the dampers on both sides? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Steve
An always open flap is either a failed thermostat (when they fail they are fully expanded and will hold the door open all the time), or, a binding issue. The right side should be open after the car is driven and gotten fully warm. If it is always closed then there must be something bent a little that is binding the operation of the door or something similar. The doors have bushings at their pivots if these are in bad shape they can cause binds.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

JDGriggs wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:44 am I noticed yesterday that the airflow out of the bellows controlled rear outlet doors on my '66 monza 110 is noticeably different between the passenger side and the drivers side. The drivers side seems to have more airflow through it. Is that to be expected?
Some difference is normal. The fan rotates counterclockwise so the only place it is pushing air toward a big opening is the left rear. Somewhat less airflow will come from the right rear. That said make sure your thermostat doors if used are operating properly and opening all the way when the engine is hot. Driving the car to really get it warm may be necessary to check this as it may not get hot enough for both t-stats to fully expand sitting and idling. Doors should be adjusted so that they are just barely closed with a stone cold engine.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

JDGriggs wrote: » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:44 am

I noticed yesterday that the airflow out of the bellows controlled rear outlet doors on my '66 monza 110 is noticeably different between the passenger side and the drivers side. The drivers side seems to have more airflow through it. Is that to be expected?
One possibility might be that Fresh Air hose attached to the right front side of the upper sheet metal shroud. If it is torn or missing, much of the cold fan air blown to the right side may be diverted out of the leaky, torn or missing hose. A good hose or a blocking plate is recommended. (This can also cause no. 5 cylinder head to overheat or run hot, possibly promoting the unseating of the steel valve seat embedded in that location of the aluminum head).

Fresh Air Hose: From top engine shroud to "firewall" to heater fan housing
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... w_page=102
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
JDGriggs

Post by JDGriggs »

Thanks, guys.
The right side door doesn't open as far as the left, but I'm not sure if it's because there isn't the same amount of heat flow or because something is sticking.
Regarding the fresh air hose, I blocked that port off since I don't have the hose for it right now.

I may end up pulling the top shroud off just to make sure nothing is clogging up the air flow.
JD
'66 Corvair 500
'66 Corvair Monza

"[...] we have to go on record and say that the Corvair is in our opinion [...] the most beautiful car to appear in this country since before World War II." - Car and Driver (October 1964 issue)

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”