Head light switch

All Models and Years
Corsa bill

Head light switch

Post by Corsa bill »

Just stuck my ugly mug under my dash. There’s this connector that I believe goes to my headlight switch, but it doesn’t look like I can get my big hands up to the switch to plug it back in. What am I going to do? Do I need to pull off the basil? If so how do I get the darn knobs off the shafts of the switch? I didn’t see a screw to remove the knobs.
I’d sure like to have head lights when I start driving it.
I want my car on the road
terribleted

Re: Head light switch

Post by terribleted »

There is a button on the top of the body of the switch behind the dash. First you disconnect the battery. Next there is a little metal button on top of the body of the switch. You must depress this button to remove the handle and shaft. While pulling handle out for off position press and hold button until the shaft stops pulling out. You have the release pressure on the button and release tension on the switch handle and then pull out (like an in and out wiggle on the switch shaft). If do no succeed try again you will get it. The unit is held to the dash by a round nut that has 2 small holes in the face which must be used to rotate the nut. I have a pair of needle nose pliers that I ground the tips of the jaws to a point that I use for this purpose. Once the switch is out you will have more space to install the plug....the issue with large hand is going to be pushing the knob release button:) Russell Davis of Blue Chip Tools sells a bezel switch removal tool for the dash that works well at all the early and late dash bezel nuts.

You must be careful when reinserting the knob and switch after the unit is back in the dash. You must make sure the triangular shaft slides properly into the triangular hole in the switch. More important you want to make sure that the switch center does not get depressed too far without the shaft catching which can happen. Best way to be sure is to hold the little release button as you first insert the shaft until you are pushing against the button. slightly release the button and push in a little more and it should catch. IF the slide in the switch get pushed all the way the into the switch without the shaft locking, you will need to find a way to pull it back out again. I have had to remove and disassemble the headlamp switch to fix this issue before.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Richard1
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Head light switch

Post by Richard1 »

This picture those the button you press to remove the shaft/knob. Some use a coin or something to help, but mine comes out easily.Image

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”