Acceleration time

All Models and Years
markdt

Acceleration time

Post by markdt »

I have been working on my 66 corsa engine and have a question about normal acceleration time. The engine was running with a fast idle when I recently purchased it. I followed the video and threads to work on adjusting the idle and synchronizing the carbs. I got the idle down to the proper range and the carbs closely synched using a uniflow. I also checked the timing which is correct.

The engine revs nicely when under no load, but seems to lack acceleration during driving. O-60 is about 18-20 seconds. Is this normal and I've just been spoiled by my modern vehicles or are there some other tests I should run?
1965 Monza convertible body melded with a 1966 Corsa drivetrain and interior to make a clone.
terribleted

Re: Acceleration time

Post by terribleted »

That seems slow. Have you made sure you are getting full throttle at the carbs when the accelerator is on the floor? There are 2 spots to adjust this, one at the throttle rod from the side of the trans to the cross shaft and another adjuster on the throttle rod coming from the tunnel to the side of the trans. The adjustment procedures are in you 1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual. I have seen many that Corvairs that lacked performance and all it was was not getting full throttle.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”