65 monza 4 speed back up light switch.

All Models and Years
Mcwho

65 monza 4 speed back up light switch.

Post by Mcwho »

Under the shift tunnel are 2 connectors that are disconnected. Am looking on the transmission for the backup light switch. Please help. The trans is out as well as the engine and differential.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Corvair Forum mobile app

1965 Corvair Monza Coupe 110, 4 speed, Liberty Blue
joelsplace

Re: 65 monza 4 speed back up light switch.

Post by joelsplace »

It is a long switch that hangs straight out the bottom. Easily damaged. The three speed used a switch in the tunnel activated by the shift tube. Clark's sells kits to use the three speed switch and they also sell a reproduction of the four speed switch.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
Mcwho

Post by Mcwho »

Im gonna try and use the switch located in the trans, as i have a replacement used 4 speed but i want to put a new switch in there.

As long i i have it out, we have engine, trans and diff removed for what started as a shifter linkage issue.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Corvair Forum mobile app

1965 Corvair Monza Coupe 110, 4 speed, Liberty Blue
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I believe that none of the 3-speed transmissions had a mounting location on the transmission for the backup light switch. On the 3 speed, a switch was mounted in the tunnel next to the shift tube. Clark's Corvair Parts also markets this switch mount "Fix-It Kit" for use in 4-speeds as an option to the 4-speed mount, which is somewhat vulnerable to physical damage.
Part number C5364: 61-65 4SP BACK-UP SWITCH *EXACT REPRO BOOT & GASKET (C383A) INCLUDED

Weight: 0 lbs 10 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 84B
Price: $ 53.65

Part number C8379: 4 SPEED BACK UP SWITCH FIX-THEY LEAVE OLD SWITCH IN PLACE-THIS WORKS OFF SHIFT ROD

Weight: 1 lbs 0 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 84B
Price: $ 39.35

1156 bulbs only belong in the backup light sockets. The two locking pins in the 1157 bulb are positioned at different heights on the side of the bayonet base/lamp socket, to ensure that they are properly inserted.

ImageImage

These illustrations may help. The 4-speed manual transmission is the only one with a switch on the transmission. The 3-speed manual switch is inside the tunnel, on the shift linkage, and the Powerglide automatic is behind the instrument panel.

1965 Corvair - 3-Speed Transmission Backup Light Switch Replacement

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

The '60-'65 3 speed transmission had no switch so the switch was on the shift tube in the tunnel. The '66-'69 3 speed switch was in the side of the transmission just like the '66-'69 4 speed.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”