Brake fluid low.

All Models and Years
65CherryMonza

Brake fluid low.

Post by 65CherryMonza »

Just opened my my Master cylinder to check the level of my brake fluid. And it seams low... So I'm wondering if I have a leak somewhere. There is some sweat on the tunnel so I will have to check the lines. I had the brake hubs open recently and saw no leeks on the wheel cylinders. So I guess the only other place would be in the line somewhere.

What is the actual level in the master cylinder ? I don't see a mark and I can't find anything online.
As always any help would be appreciated.

65 Corvair Monza Coupe 110 2 speed powerglide.
20200726_132029.jpeg
20200726_132010.jpeg
Sent from my SM-N975W using Corvair Forum mobile app

61SuperMonza

Re: Brake fluid low.

Post by 61SuperMonza »

Your fluid level is low. It looks as though it has been low for some time. This is due to what looks like rust in the reservoir as well as the boot on the cap being dry. It sould be filled to the level of the compressed boot. Check the fittings and lines under the dash. I would recomend a complete flush of the system as well if you fine no leaks. Use an anhydrous brake fluid. I would consider replacing the master cylinder as well. The rust in there is bothersome.
First corvair in 1985
Have owned 4 corvairs since
65 Corsa coupe 180 turbo
66 Monza coupe 110 PG
66 Monza coupe 140 PG
61 Monza club coupe w/ 150 turbo
Anchorage,AK
61SuperMonza

Post by 61SuperMonza »

If you choose to replace the master cylinder I would upgrade to a dual unit. Clark's has the kit you would need. This is a great upgrade. I would love to do this on my 61 but it will require alot more work. I.E. parts and fab work.
First corvair in 1985
65 Corsa coupe 180 turbo
66 Monza coupe 110 PG
66 Monza coupe 140 PG
Anchorage,AK
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Don't forget to do the "hard" "harder" test. Before driving push the pedal hard and then really hard to test the system. If it fails you want it to fail when sitting still.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

ImageImage

If your car is fitted with the original-style single master cylinder, you should consider an upgrade to a dual master cylinder. Also be sure to inspect the parking brake cables and pulleys, and replace any components that show signs of wear.

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... w_page=145

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... w_page=148

Also, inspect the bore of each wheel cylinder. If they show signs of rust or corrosion, similar decay may be present inside the aging steel brake lines. Installation of a dual master cylinder will help somewhat if a steel brake line ever bursts from internal water damage. The brake fluid should also be flushed and replaced, since brake fluid is hygroscopic and the aging fluid in those brake lines probably has a high percentage of water in them. The water content can cause corrosion inside of the steel lines, decay in the flexible brake hoses, rust and corrosion damage in the wheel and master cylinders, etc.

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... w_page=145

Dual Master Cylinder Kits – 62-66 Cars

Part number C10077: DUAL MASTER CYLINDER KIT-65-66 PROB!!!-WILL NOT FIT CARS WITH A/C

Weight: 10 lbs 0 oz
Catalog Page(s): 145
Price: $ 165.65

The brake fluid should also be flushed and replaced, since brake fluid is hygroscopic and the aging fluid in those brake lines probably has a high percentage of water in them. The water content can cause rust from the inside of the steel lines, decay in the flexible brake hoses, rust and corrosion damage in the wheel and master cylinders, etc.

Be sure to check the parking brake cables and pulleys. These are particularly important on a Powerglide automatic transmission-based Corvair, since the Corvair automatic lacks a PARK position to lock the transmission. Because of that the Corvair relies heavily on the parking brake system, which is the only thing that prevents your Corvair from rolling away on a hill! If a plastic pulley cracks or a cable snaps (usually without warning) your car can decide to take an unaccompanied trip without your permission.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
65CherryMonza

Post by 65CherryMonza »

UPDATED !
Thanks guys for all the advise I will definitely switch to the bigger master over the winter. But for the rest of the season I'll just use the original one.

So I took the tunnel off and my brake lines look great they must have been done not to long ago ! I'll post some pictures.

But I do noticed a there is a line that goes from the front to the transmission is leaking a bit. With the fear of making a fool of myself is that a transmission line for gear selecting ? Don't laugh I'm new to old cars and Corvair's... But very willing to learn!

I checked Clark's Corvair catalog but I can't find that line anyware... HELP ?
What's that line called and could that be the reason that my drive gear is a little finicky ? I have to push down a bit when in drive to get her to switch into gear... Reverse is fine just in D
Image%20(6).jpeg
20200726_170749.jpeg
Image%20(5).jpeg
Image%20(4).jpeg

61SuperMonza

Post by 61SuperMonza »

Is the leak at the trans. Where the shift cable enters the transaxle? This is common if so. Just replace the gasket and at the same time you can adjust the transmission shift cable. Refer to the shop manual for the adjustment. On another note it looks like your E brake cable is showing signs of chafing. Like Brad said I would replace as you have no park in the trans. You don't want a runaway coupe. Good luck with your project.
First corvair in 1985
65 Corsa coupe 180 turbo
66 Monza coupe 110 PG
66 Monza coupe 140 PG
Anchorage,AK
65CherryMonza

Post by 65CherryMonza »

61SuperMonza wrote:Is the leak at the trans. Where the shift cable enters the transaxle? This is common if so. Just replace the gasket and at the same time you can adjust the transmission shift cable. Refer to the shop manual for the adjustment. On another note it looks like your E brake cable is showing signs of chafing. Like Brad said I would replace as you have no park in the trans. You don't want a runaway coupe. Good luck with your project.
Ya the new brake cable is already in my garage as it broke in the back and I had to saddle clamp in a new temporary cable. That definitely on the list !
So what's coming from the front is not a fluid filled hose ? It's just leaking from the transmission along the cable if I understand right ? Or is it a fluid filled hose ?

61SuperMonza

Post by 61SuperMonza »

The hose is not fluid filled. Check where it enters the trans. If you see trans fluid it is the O ring/gasket. Easy fix. Clark's has the gasket.
First corvair in 1985
65 Corsa coupe 180 turbo
66 Monza coupe 110 PG
66 Monza coupe 140 PG
Anchorage,AK
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

61SuperMonza wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:50 pm The hose is not fluid filled. Check where it enters the trans. If you see trans fluid it is the O ring/gasket. Easy fix. Clark's has the gasket.
The trans shift sable does get fluid inside it and can leak from the joint where the steel end leaves the plastic exterior tube or if this outer plastic cover gets cut or abraded through. The o-ring that seals the end of the cable to the trans can also leak.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
61SuperMonza

Post by 61SuperMonza »

Sorry for the miss information. I assumed you were asking if the line was supposed to be filled with fluid. I haven't had a powerglide car in years. Thanks for clarifying Ted.
First corvair in 1985
65 Corsa coupe 180 turbo
66 Monza coupe 110 PG
66 Monza coupe 140 PG
Anchorage,AK
65CherryMonza

Post by 65CherryMonza »

Thanks guys I don't see a leak ? Could it be in the connector of the cable ?
Image%20(7).jpeg

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

The way to find the leak to totally clean all the old oil, and dirt off the area, and then after sitting or a little operation if you look closely you should be able to narrow down what is leaking. Your cable sheath looks cracked and in poor condition so fluid may be coming from there are blowing back. Could be the o-ring where the cable enters the trans as well.

Those are the most likely spots for fluid in this area, but, clean the whole thing trans and differential and then you will be able to see much better and possibly note other areas to at least watch. The aircooled transmission will also be happy to be clean so it can transfer heat better. You can get it pretty clean with some initial scraping, degreaser, some brushing of the degreaser and a pressure wash off. Going over it twice will get it very clean:) Good luck.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

A cracked cable housing is a common leak area. You can buy shrink tubing with sealer in it to repair the cable.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”