65 convertiblel

All Models and Years
monzadon

65 convertiblel

Post by monzadon »

I replaced the heads on my.140 motor and they didn't have any temp sensors in them my motor only has.wiring on one side for a sensor, is that normal or do.I need to put another sensor in the.other head and run a wire from the other sensor to it?

wbabst

Re: 65 convertiblel

Post by wbabst »

To the best of my knowledge, Chevy only had a temperature switch or thermistor on the C/S or Right side of the engine. I add a cylinder head temperature gauge to my cars, and put its sensor on the R/S or Left Side of the engine on the #4 Spark Plug.
Current owner
61(x2) Monza Cpe
61 Lakewood
55 Pontiac Chieftain Wagon

61 Progress here
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chevrole ... 7898185672
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Goose-N6 ... 8869056897

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Image Sometimes an extra hole in the head adds nothing to the quality of life!Image :whoa: :idea:

Oil pressure warning light switch and cylinder head temperature switch
Corvair Electrical Warning Switches (2).jpg
Both the temperature switch in the right cylinder head and the oil pressure warning switch next to the generator/alternator are simple on/off switches that connect to GROUND to complete a light bulb circuit. Closing either switch grounds the TEMP/PRES bulb in the instrument panel, and turns on te warning light. The oil pressure switch starts out with a GROUND connection to test the warning light bulb until the engine is started. Once oil pressure reaches that switch , the GROUND connection is removed and the warning light goes out. The temperature switch almost never actually closes to connect to GROUND, unless the engine is badly overheated. Usually this will not occur unles th fan belt has broken or come off the pulleys, and if it does the other GEN/FAN warning light will come on, prompting the alert driver to shut down the engine and investigate the cause long before the engine overheats due to a failed fan belt!

Left-click the image to enlarge it for better viewing or "Pan & Scan". Click a second time for maximum enlargement...
1965 Corvair Monza Full Schematic (Rev. E)
1965 Corvair Monza Full Schematic (Rev. E)
The wiring for the left-side cylinder head thermistor is not a part of the Monza/Corvair 500 wiring harness, since there is no temperature gauge in the instrument panel to connect to a thermistor (variable resistor that responds to changes in head temperature). Only the 1962-1964 Spyder or 1965-1966 Corsa was fitted with a thermistor and the associated wiring harness.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

monzadon

Post by monzadon »

Thanks for the fast information, I was concerned because the wire from the sensor is split into two wires with plug in connectors on each end

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The two wires are each connected to the same TEMP/PRESS warning light bulb in the instrument panel. One side of the bulb is connected to 12 VDC via the ignition switch. Closing either warning switch at the engine — either due to a lack of oil pressure or due to an overheated head — will provide a GROUND to the other side of the bulb and will complete the circuit — turning on the TEMP/PRESS warning light.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

monzadon wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:47 pm
Thanks for the fast information, I was concerned because the wire from the sensor is split into two wires with plug in connectors on each end
The sensor for the temp gauge on the left head? Or the overtemp switch on the right head? The overtemp switch does Y out as these wires connect to the harness and to the oil pressure light switch. Usually the base of the Y connects to the harness and the 2 wires from that point go 1 to the temp switch and one to the pressure switch.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”