Down the Tube (motor oil filler)

All Models and Years
Stilo

Down the Tube (motor oil filler)

Post by Stilo »

Hello,

Thank you for being available to help.

I dropped a rubber band, 2 inch diameter unstretched, down the oil filler tube. (164CI). It dropped down out of sight. Must it me removed? If so, should the oil pan be removed or the oil filler tube mount?
erco

Re: Down the Tube (motor oil filler)

Post by erco »

Does rubber melt at ~240F? Oil temp can get high. Easy enough to remove the oil pan to get it out.
Stilo

Post by Stilo »

Thanks for responding. Internet says rubber bands melt at over 300. It probably won’t melt in the engine for awhile. I just removed the oil pan, but don’t see the rubberband. It’s probably still in the front housing. I will continue looking with a pipe camera for the place where the oil enters the oil pan area. I don’t see where the oil get into the pan from the full tube. It may be through various small crevices, instead of a tubelike path. Any thoughts on running the engine without removing the rubber band?
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

This diagram will give you some idea of the oil flow path in the Corvair engine. The lost rubber band will likely get lodged somewhere in the rear housing, or may come to rest under the camshaft, but it may never make it down to the oil pan. Its light weight will probably not carry it very far, but I suppose it could get shredded by the distributor drive gear.

Hopefully it will not block any oil passages, but unless it gets into the oil pump gears or the camshaft drive gear assembly I don't think it will get shredded into smaller pieces that could potentially block an oil passageway. The oil pickup has a screen that would likely block an pieces from being circulated by the pump into the oil galleries.

If you take the time to remove the oil filter adapter/alternator mount casting you may find it lodged in the area of the crankshaft oil slinger and fuel pump push rod drive cam on the crankshaft, where it could be fished out with a wire or flexible pickup tool with claw.

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Stilo

Post by Stilo »

Thank you for sharing this. I am going to remove the alternator mount. I already removed the oil pan, ... nothing there but clean oil. I appreciate the pics very much.
Stilo

Post by Stilo »

The rubberband has been found and removed! It was at the bottom of the alternator mount housing. Looked to me that it would enter the crank case if I started the engine because it was at the very bottom of the mount housing. Thanks to each of you for the support.
erco

Post by erco »

Nice save, Stilo! Glad to hear the lost has been found and you can enjoy that car without any further concern.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Most excellent!!! Easy fix:)
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”