1965 Corsa convertible

All Models and Years
Jerry Whitt

1965 Corsa convertible

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Recently have experienced a new issue. The headlight switch knob and shaft come out of the headlight switch.
I obtained a new switch, a new bezel ring and the other attaching mechanism.
When the knob is pushed into the switch, it does not click into place.
The knob and shaft do not latch into place.
Any ideas would really be welcome.
Thanks in advance,
J. Whitt
Hemet Calif.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: 1965 Corsa convertible

Post by azdave »

All that retains the knob shaft is a little spring loaded button that you have to push to release the shaft when the switch is pulled fully out. Are you sure you are engaging/disengaging that properly? Maybe that button or spring are not functioning correctly to hold or release the shaft?
Attachments
headlight switch button spring gm - Google Search - Google Chrome 722020 54805 AM.jpg
headlight switch button spring gm - Google Search - Google Chrome 722020 54805 AM.jpg (33.32 KiB) Viewed 427 times
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Ok so you got a new switch and pushed the shaft in and it will not engage. This is common and annoying. I have found that particularly on new switches (but sometimes on old switches as well) that you must be very careful to align the triangular shaft in the triangular hole inside the switch when inserting the shaft. The key is to make sure that the sliding part inside the switch does not get pushed all the way in until the shaft is locked in place. I hold the little release button down while inserting the shaft to help keep the internals of the switch in place. What has happened is the shaft has pushed the switching parts inside the switch all the way forward and now the shaft can not get to the catch that captures it.

I had this happen a number of times before I found that holding the button and very carefully inserting the shaft until it latches without pushing the switch all the way in works well. Once the center of the switch is over pushed like yours, the fix is to find a way to pull the inside sliding part of the switch back out and try again. I have had to disassemble switches in the past to put the slide back in the middle of its travel before reassembly, mounting and installing the knob and shaft. Sometimes you can just pull the center back out with a suitable small pick, but sometimes the things seem to get stuck and will not slide back out, hence switch disassembly.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Got a new switch today from our local O Reily auto parts. The switch seems to work great. Did notice the new LED s in the dash did not seem to be bright..

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”