Engine locked up from sitting, thoughts?

All Models and Years
autocomman

Engine locked up from sitting, thoughts?

Post by autocomman »

Hey all, Picked up a 62 rampside and its been sitting since 1984 or so? Motor is locked up, but not solid. It moves about a degree when rocking it back and forth in gear. It had oil in the cylinders. From what I gather the guy who bought it pulled the plugs, squirted some in there and put the plugs back in. I looked in the cylinders and say some oil in there, no rust that I could see which is good. Its also on TDC, so im pretty sure it was rolled to that point then stored.

So I loosed the valved that were open so they were closed and filled very cylinder to the top with marvals mystery oil. Beyond that siting a few days, anyone have any suggestions? I dont really wanna bump it with the starter till i can get it to move by hand. I dont wanna break the crank bolt in the pully so I havent put a wrench on it yet. But Ive rocked it pretty hard in 4th gear and it moved back and forth about 1 degree if that. its enough you can see the fan move a hair, and you can see the notch on the timing mark move slightly.

Ive read about the early models and the flywheel rivits, but im scepitcal of that being an issue as the motor is on TDC, well 4BTDC. The likely hood of it stopping there when shut off is not likely.

So thoughts on freeing it up? And if I do have to pull it, which I really hope I dont have to, any suggestions on pulling the power assembly, and steps on proceeding once I have? If it gets to that point I assume im lookin at pistons and barrels...unless there is some other reason it would be locked up. I dont think a rod is broken, all the pistons look like they are in the right spots, after lookin in them with a borascope.
terribleted

Re: Engine locked up from sitting, thoughts?

Post by terribleted »

DO NOT bump it with the starter. You will very likely break the cast nose off the starter or cause gear damage. The crank bolt is large diameter. It would take a large breaker bar to break it most likely. Since moves a little just keep lubing and working it back and forth with a socket on the crank pulley bolt and lubing stuff, perhaps it will move for you after a while. This is really about all you can do before tearing it down if you can not get it moving.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I'm having a hard time seeing how an engine that had oil added to the cylinders would lock up from sitting. I'm guessing it was locked up when parked.
Either way Ted has it right.
There are plenty of other threads that give tips on engine removal. The procedure depends a lot on your space and budget. I have a lift, transmission jack and engine cradle. All that makes it easy.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
autocomman

Post by autocomman »

Yeah it's very strange, and all the cylinders looked clean and shiny with a borescope. Anyone ever seen the trans lock up? I mean it will roll in neutral no issue, dun o if there is anyway something in the trans could break or do something so it locks 2 gears in at once or something. Gonna go again today and rock it a bit see what it does. It's just so wierd it moves a hair. Unfortunately I'll be pulling it on the ground, truck on jack stands. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Mark

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”