Engine squeak noticed when turning off ign.

All Models and Years
61SuperMonza

Engine squeak noticed when turning off ign.

Post by 61SuperMonza »

What could cause this issue. The engine is a 64 spyder that has been totally rebuilt. It has under 200 miles on it and runs great. I just don't like the sound of a squeak when it is shut down. I have checked the fan and idler and they are fine. I checked the spark plugs and they are torqued to spec. I checked compression and it's great,as well as push rods for proper install. The valve train is all good. I was thinking a head gasket problem or push rod installed backwards. These all check out so what could this squeak be. I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks guys.
Norm
First corvair in 1985
Have owned 4 corvairs since
65 Corsa coupe 180 turbo
66 Monza coupe 110 PG
66 Monza coupe 140 PG
61 Monza club coupe w/ 150 turbo
Anchorage,AK
terribleted

Re: Engine squeak noticed when turning off ign.

Post by terribleted »

Squeak. What exactly do you mean by a squeak. A single squeak? Squeaking sounds as the engine stops turning after turning off key? Your ideas above you would expect to make noise that could be heard idling as well.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
61SuperMonza

Post by 61SuperMonza »

It's a faint squeak that you hear when engine is idling. You can barely hear it. It is most audible when shutting down engine. I made a video but I don't know how to post it. I realize that hearing the issue will make it much easier to diagnose.
First corvair in 1985
65 Corsa coupe 180 turbo
66 Monza coupe 110 PG
66 Monza coupe 140 PG
Anchorage,AK
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Head gasket leaks make a chirping sound almost like a little bird. Worn or dry rocker arms can cause a squeak squeak squeak sound that follows engine rpm. If it was me I would likely run the engine with valve adjusting covers (1/3 valve cover on each side) in place so I could listen closely to the valve train and perhaps isolate it to a particular rocker or eliminate it as a rocker issue. I have had a new rocker arm do this once. I just changed the rocker out for a good used one and it never gave any more trouble. (could also be caused by lack of oiling due to upside down pushrod).
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

61SuperMonza

Post by 61SuperMonza »

I have ran the engine and got underneath to listen and can't hear the squeak. I have also removed the valve covers and checked the pushrods for proper install and the rocker arms for signs of heat. All looked good. I also looked in through the damper doors and it was clean as a whistle. No signs of a blow head gasket. I will put my valve adjusting cover on and run it as you suggest and see if I can post the video. Thanks
First corvair in 1985
65 Corsa coupe 180 turbo
66 Monza coupe 110 PG
66 Monza coupe 140 PG
Anchorage,AK
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Have you considered purchasing an inexpensive mechanic's stethoscope to use in trying to localize the source of the sound?

Image :link: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mechanic%27s ... evancerank

:typing: Also, if you wish to post a video of your engine making the sound, the "how to" video below may help...
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
61SuperMonza

Post by 61SuperMonza »

I got the problem figured out. First I took my strait pipe off and put the muffler back on so I could hear what was going on. That made things much easier. Plain as day the squeak was coming from the drivers side. Turned out it was the #6 exhaust rocker. I replaced it with an old one and all is good. Seems odd that a new mated rocker and ball would do that. Just glad I had some good rockers to replace it with. Thanks Ted and Brad for the help. I think I'm going to stick with the magnafow muffler. Not quite so loud and sounds great. Much more refined tone.
First corvair in 1985
65 Corsa coupe 180 turbo
66 Monza coupe 110 PG
66 Monza coupe 140 PG
Anchorage,AK
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Some of these off shore parts are not that great. Very possible to have a couple parts that do not want to wear in to each other nicely even with good parts, but, I have seen this one more than I should with replacement rockers. Squeak may have been at the ball or at the pushrod I suppose.

61SuperMonza

Post by 61SuperMonza »

I just finished the hot valve adjustment. Figured I may as well get it a dialed in. She is purring like a kitten. Very pleased with the results. We will see tomorrow if I will have to do it again. Thanks again guys for the thoughts.
First corvair in 1985
65 Corsa coupe 180 turbo
66 Monza coupe 110 PG
66 Monza coupe 140 PG
Anchorage,AK

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”