Windshield washers

All Models and Years
steptoe

Windshield washers

Post by steptoe »

Well I couldn’t get the washers to work on my ‘64 Monza so I took it apart and found no ground wire. Fixed that and reinstalled the assembly. Wipers and washers work great except the washers keep recycling on. They wash and stop like their supposed to but then restart again by themselves. What happened? Anybody familiar with this?

66vairguy

Re: Windshield washers

Post by 66vairguy »

Hmmmm - not sure what you mean by no ground wire. The wiper/washer unit only turns on when the WIPER SWITCH grounds the wiper motor or solenoid to activate the washer. There is a wiper motor ground via one of the wiper motor grommets that is ONLY used for the "park" function. When you turn off the wiper switch the motor would stop at any position - no good. The wiper motor keeps going until the wipers are "parked" at the base of the windshield using internal points that ground the motor UNTIL the wipers are at the park position, then the points open and IF the wiper switch is off (motor not grounded) the wiper motor stops.

The washer switch button also grounds the washer solenoid momentarily to engage a pawl to a cam and once the cam rotates it resests and what washer pump stops until the switch button is depressed again.

To summarize power goes to the wiper assembly and the wiper switch ONLY grounds the wiper motor or washer solenoid to activate them.

When the washer won't turn off it's either a stuck pawl on the cam (mechanical issue) or the solenoid is grounded all the time.

It seems odd the wiper switch only grounds the wiper/washer, but it's a clever way to make the wipers "park" and saved wiring.

steptoe

Post by steptoe »

There was no ground wire but there was a broken metal tab which must have been an internal ground. I I installed a ground wire and the wipers now park as they should. The pump appears to be working normally. When it works, it cycles several pumps like it should and turns off. However, it immediately starts the cycle again. Over and over. The only way to stop this cycle is to unplug the wiring harness at the pump. Do I have a bad wiper/washer switch? Is the push button stuck?

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

It could be the push button part of the wiper switch is stuck providing ground to run the washer unit all the time. More likely the washer unit has an issue with its holding points (stock) or mechanism (aftermarket) that is keeping the coil that turns on the pumping action energized all he time or perhaps something bent so that the pump arm is constantly in contact with the ratchet that runs it. I just fixed a brand new replacement pump that was doing the same thing as yours. It has a metal arm that catches little cogs on a gear to operate the pump. There was a disengage plunger that was working properly but even though it was pushing the arms away from the cogs the arm was still catching them. I bent the arm to provide clearance in the off position and now it works like a champ. The shop manual supplements show a nice photo and have diagnostic info for the washer pumps...check it out.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”