65 differential

All Models and Years
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: 65 differential

Post by azdave »

Videos were from the junker I'm bringing back to life and happen to have on the lift already. There is minor play in the U-joint but way more movement from the yoke going in and out. The point was to show him the yoke play is not unusual. When people first see that movement they usually freak out like the wheel is about to fall off or something.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

This is sad. But it illustrates how difficult it is to find "knowledgeable" mechanics for cars that are different, like the Corvair.

You haven't said where you are located, but maybe there is a reputable Corvair shop that can talk to your "inspector".

If you don't have some "play" the crown and spyder gears will overheat in turns. I've been told about one fellow who went racing and ended up with the center section crown and spyder gears welded together by friction.

azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

One more angle on the video. Here you will see some U-joint movement but lots of yoke movement. Yes, U-joint could be up for a replacement but the yoke movement is normal when you pull in and out on the top of then tire when the wheels are lifted off the ground.

Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I wasn't disagreeing with you on the yoke movement. That video should be helpful with the inspector. I'm glad my Corvairs don't require inspections. None of the required inspections here in Texas would go that far anyway. Is that really something they are required to check?
114 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX

Rodders7762

Post by Rodders7762 »

Waiting on some new ujoints and a brake master cylinder ( going to convert it to a dual, as the single has a slight leak) will put it back together and get some video of my measurements/play and go back with all the info I have collected and chat with mechanic. Got some info from Clark’s to add to everything you guys have given me and will let you know what I find out. Will try and post some of the info I get after for future. Thanks everyone for all advice will keep you posted in next week or so. Oh I’m in Calgary (Canada) and so very limited in choice of knowledgeable shops. Shop I took it to are all classic car people and affiliate with classic car groups so seemed best option and they are not being dicks about it which is good.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”