Reverse Gear

All Models and Years
ranger372

Reverse Gear

Post by ranger372 »

Please, How to put the Transmission into Reverse (at the Transmission) Push/Pull/Turn??? How far should the shaft stick out of Trans when in Reverse?
Thanks,
Steve D.
Wagon Master

Re: Reverse Gear

Post by Wagon Master »

Looking at the end of the shift shaft, with shaft in neutral, rotate counter clockwise through the stiff reverse detent and push the shaft in. You'll notice the distinctive different sound the trans. makes when going into reverse.
Mcwho

Post by Mcwho »

Hello I just posted a msg on here may be related to yours. Mine is difficult to get into rev and it clunks when moving back sounds like the gear is partially engaged.
ranger372 wrote:Please, How to put the Transmission into Reverse (at the Transmission) Push/Pull/Turn??? How far should the shaft stick out of Trans when in Reverse?
Thanks,
Steve D.
Sent from my SM-G965U using Corvair Forum mobile app

1965 Corvair Monza Coupe 110, 4 speed, Liberty Blue
Mcwho

Post by Mcwho »

Is it a 4 speed? If my calc are correct shaft should go clockwise and then push in. That is at the trans.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Corvair Forum mobile app

1965 Corvair Monza Coupe 110, 4 speed, Liberty Blue
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Yup trans shaft should rotate CW and then push in once it gets into the reverse position. Shift handle moves left and shift tube twists CW
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Wagon Master

Post by Wagon Master »

Nope.
Counter clockwise.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

The issue here is point of reference. With the front of the car as reference. The shaft and shift tube will rotate CW as the shifter handle is pushed to the left. SO when you are looking forward the rotation is clockwise. IF you turn around and look at the face of the trans (toward the rear of the car), the trans shift shaft will rotate Counter Clockwise to go toward reverse, this of course is still CW if we keep our point of reference forward.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Wagon Master

Post by Wagon Master »

Wagon Master wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:29 am Looking at the end of the shift shaft, with shaft in neutral, rotate counter clockwise through the stiff reverse detent and push the shaft in. You'll notice the distinctive different sound the trans. makes when going into reverse.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”