New design Engine Thermostats available now

All Models and Years
irfgt

New design Engine Thermostats available now

Post by irfgt »

After extensive testing I am now offering my new design replacement engine Cooling Air Door Thermostats for sale. https://www.ebay.com/itm/333603878821?ul_noapp=true https://www.ebay.com/itm/333603877907?ul_noapp=true
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: New design Engine Thermostats available now

Post by bbodie52 »

:coolphotos: :goodpost: :dontknow:

Corvair Air Door Thermostats 1965-1969
:link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/333603878821?ul_noapp=true

GT Engineering wrote:Engineered replacement Cooling Air Door Thermostats for 1965-1969 Corvairs. New design using dependable calibrated Bi-Metal Thermostat Springs for low cost dependable Air Door Operation. Kit includes New Thermostats, Brackets, Bolts, Clips, Rods, and Cooling Air Door Bushings, and Complete instructions to replace Right and Left side original Thermostats. Shrouds and Doors not included. Replace your expensive and failure prone original Thermostats or make your Heater Doors Operational for Faster warm ups, better fuel economy, better cold driveability, increased power when cold, and longer engine life.

To determine the correct Thermostats for your Vehicle in the event of a non original engine or Shrouds in your vehicle, look at the Lower Cooling Shrouds and if the Thermostat Bracket is mounted toward the front end of the Shroud you have a 1961-1964 Shroud and these Thermostats will not fit your vehicle. Use the other EBAY listing for the 1961-1964 Corvair Thermostats. If your original Thermostat Bracket is located in the center of the Lower Shroud you have a 1965-1969 Lower Shroud and these Thermostats will fit your Corvair.

$125.00 plus $12.00 Standard Shipping

Corvair Air Door Thermostats 1961-1964
:link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Corvair-Air-Do ... SwVuhevdY1
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
irfgt

Post by irfgt »

I initially had manufactured 50 units of each early and late design. The sales have been pretty equal of each. After an initial surge of buyers it has slowed to a trickle. This being the case unless sales increase I will not be ordering any more inventory of these items. I still have a few of each design left so If you have thoughts of getting some I wouldn't delay as it is doubtful if a reorder is in the future. I really thought there would be more demand. Thank you.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

There might be more demand if you were able to market your product through a distributor like Clark's Corvair Parts. You may have just bumped into a limiting factor due to a need for an effective method of advertising. Clark's sometimes picks up new products and promotes them if they feel the market is out there and the product is well-made and fulfills a genuine need. Perhaps you should approach Cal Clark and get his feelings about your product. If you are successful in getting Clark's to carry your product, your profit per unit may go down (with a percentage going to the distributor), but your total volume of sales may increase and the demand may justify keeping your product on the market. I think Seth Emerson (Performance Corvairs) did this with his Corvair Stinger distributor (also listed on the California Corvairs website), Ted Brown (Brown EFI) Electronic Fuel Injection is now listed on Clark's Corvair Parts Catalog, and the newly designed replacement thermister for the Corsa/Spyder temperature gauge from Vairtrix.com is marketed on the Clark's website. (Also marketed by the Corvair Ranch).
FUEL INJECTION
Why Fuel Injection? Fuel injection is the next generation of power, performance and dependability that Corvair engines need and owners deserve. From the quick start on cold mornings and being able to immediately drive down the road, you will realize it performs like today's cars. No more adjusting carbs, points, frequent spark plug changes; you can just start it and drive. At highway speeds, your EFI computer adjusts the timing for optimal fuel economy and performance. It also retards the timing when high combustion temps can destroy an engine. "Dieseling" during a hot stop is a thing of the past and rev limiting is active if you miss a gear. GM Throttle Body Fuel Injection is probably the most dependable system that GM has ever developed and is now available for your Corvair.
:link: https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalo ... w_page=63B
:link: http://www.corvair-efi.com/
New Electronic Distributor – 60-69 Corvairs (exc. Turbo)
Complete with cap, new drive gear and ready to install. Designed to fit Corvair engines. Similar to OEM construction & appearance. No external box to mount; 3 wire hook-up with adjustable mechanical advance, high energy electronics with magnetic trigger (inside distributor). Also includes vacuum block-off for racing. Two styles available for cap & wires. Original style cap uses all original Corvair plug wires. HEI style cap uses pin style plug wires (HEI plug wires have correct Corvair spark plug boots). This distributor comes with a harness about 9" longer than stock use needs. Either coil up the excess or race applications may want the extra length. Shorter harness: You can also order the distributor with a harness that is about 9" shorter at a higher cost; nice length for stock installation. Includes complete installation instructions for distributor, cap & wires.
:link: https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalo ... ow_page=79
:link: http://californiacorvairparts.com/index ... r=category
:link: https://www.perfvair.com/stinger-ignition-distributors/
Thermister Replacement
The “CHT-100” is an advanced Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor for the Corvair Spyder and Corsa models. Designed as a direct replacement for the obsolete AC Thermistor, the “CHT-100” uses thermocouple technology for reliable and accurate temperature measurement over the wide range of temperatures experienced in the Cor vair engine. It uses advanced digital technology to convert the thermocouple measurement to a constant resistance source, matched specifically to the Corvair dash mounted cylinder head temperature gauge. The result is a sensor that outperforms the original AC Delco design. Threads into original thermister hole – comes with instructions. Want more info? Visit web site vairtrix.com. No washer or nut needed.
:link: https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalo ... ow_page=51
:link: https://corvairranch.com/proud-of
:link: http://vairtrix.com/#!/HOME

ImageImageImageImageImage
Brad Bodie
drewvair

Post by drewvair »

Pretty cool and I probably would have given them a shot had I seen them before I ordered the original style from Clark's. I'll echo what Brad said about distributing them through well known vendors.
1965 Corsa Turbo
Portland, OR
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

It's good to see something new. I'll have to take a "wait and see" approach. Many years ago folks tried using bi-metal coils and after a while they get weak and the doors don't open all the way - not good. At least the GM thermostat failure opens the doors by default so the engine can't overheat.

Most just seem to leave the doors open, or even leave the shrouds off.

Myself --- Years ago folks warned me the new replacement thermostats tended to fail, but my own experience, plus a few others, indicates about half the replacements fail early and Clark's replaces them. The new ones that don't fail seem to be fine long term. Also if you find good used ones they work great. Used ones that have been working for many decades usually keep on working for a long time. Once I got through the "bad ones" I haven't had any problems.

Just my observations - others may be different.
irfgt

Post by irfgt »

I have restocked after having a run on the thermostats and now have a good supply for the Winter months coming up.
rcavictor

Post by rcavictor »

Can you please provide updated eBay links, the earlier links don’t work. Thanks for doing this!
-Rob
Rob

- Cornucopia of Corvairs
Ocklawaha FL
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I did a :google: :search: and found two new eBay listings to replace the expired eBay listings...

Corvair Air Door Thermostats 1961-1964
:link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/333718703606?h ... SwVuhevdY1

eBay item number: 333718703606
Engineered replacement Cooling Air Door Thermostats for 1961-1964 Corvairs. New design using dependable calibrated Bi-Metal Thermostat Springs for low cost dependable Air Door Operation. Kit includes New Thermostats, Brackets, Bolts, Clips, Rods, and Cooling Air Door Bushings, and Complete instructions to replace Right and Left side original Thermostats. Shrouds and Doors not included. Replace your expensive and failure prone original Thermostats or make your Heater Doors Operational for Faster warm ups, better fuel economy, better cold driveability, increased power when cold, and longer engine life.

To determine the correct Thermostats for your Vehicle in the event of a non original engine or Shrouds in your vehicle, look at the Lower Cooling Shrouds and if the Thermostat Bracket is mounted toward the front end of the Shroud you have a 1961-1964 Shroud and these Thermostats will fit your vehicle. If your original Thermostat Bracket is located in the center of the Lower Shroud you have a 1965-1969 Lower Shroud and you will need to order from the other EBAY Thermostat listing for 1965-1969 Corvairs.

Corvair Air Door Thermostats 1965-1969
:link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/334001492081?h ... SwVuhevdY1

eBay item number: 334001492081
Engineered replacement Cooling Air Door Thermostats for 1965-1969 Corvairs. New design using dependable calibrated Bi-Metal Thermostat Springs for low cost dependable Air Door Operation. Kit includes New Thermostats, Brackets, Bolts, Clips, Rods, and Cooling Air Door Bushings, and Complete instructions to replace Right and Left side original Thermostats. Shrouds and Doors not included. Replace your expensive and failure prone original Thermostats or make your Heater Doors Operational for Faster warm ups, better fuel economy, better cold driveability, increased power when cold, and longer engine life.

To determine the correct Thermostats for your Vehicle in the event of a non original engine or Shrouds in your vehicle, look at the Lower Cooling Shrouds and if the Thermostat Bracket is mounted toward the front end of the Shroud you have a 1961-1964 Shroud and these Thermostats will not fit your vehicle. Use the other EBAY listing for the 1961-1964 Corvair Thermostats. If your original Thermostat Bracket is located in the center of the Lower Shroud you have a 1965-1969 Lower Shroud and these Thermostats will fit your Corvair.

Brad Bodie
m37aswell

Post by m37aswell »

Has anyone had this new thermostat bi-metal design in service for awhile? I have grown suspicious of this particular bellows in that it does not seem to want to open while the other side works fine under all conditions.I have had it out and it will open with a propane torch and it will open in front of my cigar heater in the shop but not in service in the car this winter. Has there ever been bellows that fail to open? I do have have bellows that have gone into open failsafe mode and remain that way, no longer functional. This corvair gets out on the highway for a 25 mile shot and then moves around in the city before a return trip home in the current cold Nebraska weather repeatedly.
rayellio77

Post by rayellio77 »

I don't have these installed.

If it's the passenger side that's not opening, it is common that, under conditions, driver's side will open and passenger not with the original design bellows as well. I don't know why but i've seen it documented and observed myself.

If it's the driver's side not opening, well, IDK.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The oil cooler is on the left (driver's) side and adds additional heat to the air passing out of that side. Perhaps the oil cooler heat contribution would cause the left side thermostat to respond earlier than the right side.
Brad Bodie
irfgt

Post by irfgt »

These new thermostats have been in use for over 3 years now with zero failures. Dozens have been sold with zero complaints.
m37aswell

Post by m37aswell »

irfgt wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:55 pm These new thermostats have been in use for over 3 years now with zero failures. Dozens have been sold with zero complaints.
Good-because I just bought a pair, I have been having a hard time finding a pair of originals that I think I can trust. I drive corvairs year-round here in Neb so they will be exposed to very cold to very hot engine conditions. I have a good looking one on the drivers side which is supposed to be the "hot" side {long exhaust log and oil cooler} which does not seem to want to open even on the highway. Anyway something new to try.
luigi

Post by luigi »

Hi

Do you still have any of these available for a 63 corvair?

Regards

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”