Nut- Carb Inlet

All Models and Years
lalkie01

Nut- Carb Inlet

Post by lalkie01 »

I have a 65 corsa with a very slow leak from the fuel line that goes into the driver primary carb.
It is a very slow leak that evaporates before it can drip on the tin. It probably has been leaking a long time and I just noticed it. I have taken the inlet nut off the carb and can't see anything wrong. The line also looks good at the seat. Anyone had this problem. I have ordered a new line and hope this will fix the problem. Thanks Larry
terribleted

Re: Nut- Carb Inlet

Post by terribleted »

If it is leaking between the line and the large inlet fitting then either a line or a fitting issue is likely (or just not tight). Does not take much distortion in the contact part of either piece to cause a seep (the threads are not relevant at this connection as long as they do not din and not let it get tight. If the seep is between the Inlet fitting and the carb top a fresh gasket and making sure it is tight will probably fix it.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
lalkie01

Post by lalkie01 »

It is not from the gasket under the nut. The nut is tight and the line fitting is tight. Probably is alignment as you suggested. Just looking for an answer. Thanks Larry
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

It's rare but the line can crack at the flare. You can buy copper flare gaskets if the flare sealing surface isn't perfect.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
lalkie01

Post by lalkie01 »

I did get it fixed by putting some sealant on the back side of the flare until the new line arrives. I was surprised it worked. Have to watch it closely. Thanks Larry
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

The weeping fuel at the flare fitting is not unusual when an old line is over tightened. It is also a problem with the new replacement lines that are made with hand tools and are just not as accurate as the old machine made lines.

I was discussing this with a buddy and he told me to use the copper flare gaskets common on old English cars. The are not metric so they fit the old American flare sizes. I found them online and they worked great. Stopped all the weeping problems with my new lines. Look for brake or fuel copper flares.

NOTE: There are also A/C copper flare gaskets and they are NOT shaped the same as the fuel and brake gaskets.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”