1967 Monza 4 dr chrome roof trim removal

All Models and Years
Corvairvan

1967 Monza 4 dr chrome roof trim removal

Post by Corvairvan »

I am preparing my Monza for paint, and have a question about the strip of trim between the roof and rear quarter panel. As in how to remove it?? Thanks in advance!!
terribleted

Re: 1967 Monza 4 dr chrome roof trim removal

Post by terribleted »

What strip? Most cars have no strip separating the roof and the 1/4 panel.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Corvairvan

Post by Corvairvan »

Yeh, I'm afraid of that being add on. I will take a picture of it. Has 2 tone paint, separates the roof line from body...
Corvairvan

Post by Corvairvan »

Corvairvan wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:01 pm I am preparing my Monza for paint, and have a question about the strip of trim between the roof and rear quarter panel. As in how to remove it?? Thanks in advance!!
Attachments
20200514_135757.jpg
20200514_135813.jpg
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Corvairvan wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:56 pm Yeh, I'm afraid of that being add on. I will take a picture of it. Has 2 tone paint, separates the roof line from body...
There were a few with 2 tone that had this. Very few. I am honestly not sure how the divider piece removes having never worked on one. They may have external clips. If there are no crews from the inside then there must be clips. Hopefully someone who has played with one of these rare parts will chime in.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Corvairvan wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:01 pm I am preparing my Monza for paint, and have a question about the strip of trim between the roof and rear quarter panel. As in how to remove it?? Thanks in advance!!
While uncommon the two tone paint with trim is not that rare on 4 doors. It's been said a number of "500" models were done in two tone by Chevrolet to increase sales. Contact AZDAVE on the Corvair Center Forum. http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/list.php?1

I recall Dave has at least one two tone four door and he is knowledgeable about Corvairs. He might be able to help describe how to get the trim off for painting. Dave also makes the neat front clear turn signal lens that were only used on Euro-spec. Corvairs. Sure look nicer than those orange lens with some paint colors.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I have a lot of Sport Sedans and none have that trim. I've never seen it before the above picture.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
Corvairvan

Post by Corvairvan »

Thank You Sir!!
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The attached section of the 1966 Fisher Body Service Manual illustrates the Late Model Corvair Reveal Moldings, including the unique and rare optional Rear Quarter Belt Reveal Molding (Item 7) that is the topic of discussion here. This two-tone factory paint option and its associated reveal molding makes your sedan very rare. I would recommend considering retaining this unique factory finish that makes your rare 1967 4-door sedan (last year — only 3,157 produced) even more-exclusive!
:not worthy: :clap: ::-):

TWO-TONE (Lower/Upper — Available on 10539 [4-Door Sport Sedan - 5 Passenger] only)
RPO: CD — White/Medium Blue
D = Nantucket Blue Lucite No: 4815L Rinshed-Mason No: A1899 Ditzler No: DDL13349
C = Ermine White Lucite No: 4024L Rinshed-Mason No: A1199 Ditzler No: DDL 8259

Body Tag Data...

Late models (65-68) have a different paint code. They used a two character code employing two letters for hardtops and a one letter /one digit code for convertibles. Ex. R-R = Regal red, R-C = two tone white top/red bottom, R-1 = Convertible with red paint and white Conv top.

1967 Fisher body tags ACC line. (WRN)
The Letters are listed in groups. Letters following a number is in that group. The code letters are listed in the order they would appear. Some letters are in more than one group
Most 1966 codes carried over to 1967 unchanged

First Group ( no numeric indicator)
E = RPO A01 Tinted Glass ( Soft Ray glass in all windows)
D = RPO C06 Power Top (Manual top standard, no indicator)
W = RPO A02 Tinted Windshield only
O = Two tone paint trim piece (sedans only)
L = folding rear seat (500 series only)

2 = Second Group
M = RPO M35 Powerglide Automatic
D = RPO C60 Air Conditioning
R = RPO U80 Rear speaker
S = RPO U73 Rear ant.
U = RPO U57 Stereo tape system
H = Heater delete

3 = Third Group
(no group three options found)

4 = Fourth Group
F = Remote outside mirror RPO D33

5 = Fifth Group
Y = RPO A49 Deluxe Seatbelts ( Stainless Steel Push-button Buckles)
O = Seatbelt delete? ( No cars found with this code, but may carry over from 65)

The opening pages of the attached section describe and illustrate the mounting characteristics of each piece of molding to help you to safely and carefully remove it for body painting.

LM Corvair Sedan Exterior Moldings
LM Corvair Sedan Exterior Moldings
LM Corvair Sedan Exterior Moldings Chart
LM Corvair Sedan Exterior Moldings Chart

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader (.pdf) format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA club chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:chevy:
Attachments
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - SECTION 12 - EXTERIOR MOLDINGS (CORVAIR).pdf
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - SECTION 12 - EXTERIOR MOLDINGS (CORVAIR)
(1.26 MiB) Downloaded 15 times
1967 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs.pdf
1967 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs
(1.52 MiB) Downloaded 12 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

That would indicate there may be some nuts on studs accessible from the inside (likely at the ends or one end maybe) as well as some T-studs with little plastic clips that the trims snaps on to.

66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

I have a 66 four door. It is NOT a two tone. I did remove the interior years ago for a re-do. Inside on the "C" pillar (rear roof pillar) there is a hardboard panel behind the headliner. Best left alone unless you want to install a new headliner. Below the headliner is a painted hardboard panel that can be carefully removed. Behind the panel are a couple holes in the body frame that might allow access to the trim hardware.

Good luck.
Corvairvan

Post by Corvairvan »

You guys are awesome! I was wondering about being bolted from the inside....time to do some careful excavation....

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”