140 Plug Recommendations

All Models and Years
erco

140 Plug Recommendations

Post by erco »

What plugs are you fellas using/recommending for a mostly stock 140 engine? Price & availability a plus. $100 for NOS AC44FFs isn't so appealing to me. https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-NOS-AC-44FF- ... 4573977532

I see recommendations for Bosch 7902, Autolite 2656, Champion RL95YC...
joelsplace

Re: 140 Plug Recommendations

Post by joelsplace »

NGK BR6HS. If you don't run it hard use BR5HS.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:think: I prefer to use the NGK B6HS spark plug in the Corvair. Because it has plated threads (a trivalent Zinc-chromate shell plating) there is less chance of thread damage in the aluminum heads, and the possible need for anti-seize compound on the plugs to protect the threads is eliminated. (See the attached NGK Spark Plug Tech Bulletin for more information).

NOT SURE ABOUT THE NGK BPR6HS (RESISTOR PLUG WITH PROJECTED CENTER ELECTRODE INSULATOR).
Reminds me of the old Champion UL-15Y with projected tip, specifically marketed for Corvair. Does anyone have any experience or opinions of these for Corvair?
Champion UL-15Y.jpg

NGK Spark Plug Tech Bulletin - Anti-Seize Compound on Spark Plugs.pdf
NGK Spark Plug Tech Bulletin - Anti-Seize Compound on Spark Plugs
(191.47 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
NGK-Plugs.pdf
NGK Spark Plug Numbering Chart
(2.5 MiB) Downloaded 33 times

ALL PRICES LISTED ON AMAZON.COM...
Image NGK B6HS (4 for $10.45-$12.91)

Image NGK BR6HS (4 for $13.57 )

Image NGK BPR6HS (4 for $11.11)
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
erco

Post by erco »

Brad, is that B6HS plug the same as this NGK 1052, listed AKA B6HS-10? "Non-automotive?" https://www.autozone.com/miscellaneous- ... 933093_0_0
Iceland Spyder
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Iceland Spyder »

NGK b6hs is a good spark plug for high performance corvair. I use them in my 64 Spyder.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I believe the -10 is a different gap. Do NOT use the extended tip BP series plug like Brad's last picture. I've been told they can hit the pistons. P is extended tip, R is resistor.
Northlake, TX
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The gospel according to
:link: https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9232
NGK 1052 B6HS-10 Standard Plug
SKU: #B6HS-10
ITEM : # NGK1052
BRAND : NGK

:whoa: :eek: B6HS-10 Has Been Discontinued And Replaced By BR6HS-10

NGK standard plugs are constructed for longer life and optimum performance.
  • Trivalent metal plating provides superior anti-corrosion and anti-seizing properties
  • Corrugated ribs prevent flashover
  • Pure alumina silicate ceramic insulator, provides superior strength and better heat transfer
  • Copper core aids in heat removal
  • Triple seals prevent leakage
Shell
Thread Size: 14mm
Thread Pitch: 1.25mm
Seat Type: Gasket
Reach: 12.7mm (1/2")
Hex Size: 13/16" (21mm)
Terminal Type: Removable Nut
Overall Height: ISO
Gap: .039" (1.0mm)

Center Electrode
Material: Nickel
Type: Standard
Size: 2.5mm
Projection: Non-Projected

Ground Electrode
Material: Nickel
Type: Standard
Quantity: 1
Specifications
Warranty: 1 Year
Torque Specs: Cast Iron: 18-25.3 lb. ft. Aluminum: 18-21.6 lb. ft.
Brand: NGK
Heat Range: 6
Longevity: 30k Miles
Resistor: No

FITMENT:
Automotive
Sorry, no automotive applications are associated with this part.
Non Automotive
Marine

===================================================================

NGK 1090 BR6HS-10 Standard Plug
SKU: #BR6HS-10
ITEM : # NGK1090

:link: https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9535
ImageImage

NGK 2633 BPR6HS-10 Standard Plug
SKU: #BPR6HS-10
ITEM : # NGK2633

:link: https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9490
ImageImage

Champion introduced the UL-15Y Extended Tip spark plugs back in the 1960's and specifically marketed them for the Corvair. Clark's also sells extended tip spark plugs. The NGK BR6HS and BPR6HS plugs appear to be identical except for the projected tip. I don't believe there is a clearance problem in the Corvair that would prevent using these, and the benefits should be similar to the UL-15Y originally sold by Champion.

:link: https://help.summitracing.com/app/answe ... lator-type

Image :link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... w_page=75A

Attachments
Spark Plug Insulator Types.jpg
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Yellow

Post by Yellow »

joelsplace wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 3:16 pm NGK BR6HS. If you don't run it hard use BR5HS.
What would be considered "Hard" Running? I have a 62 102hp PG. That gets occasional Freeway driving for about an hour or so. I run the BR5HS's.

Also I have pertronix 1. Is it worth Running the flamethrower coil and bypassing the reduction wire? Thanks!! :ty:
1962 Convertible Monza Powerglide w/ 64 differential and transverse spring and 65 carbs.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Using high RPM and full throttle often. I wouldn't change the coil. The only time a better coil will help is if you are having issues with misfiring.
On the extended tip - if you can get away with it they are generally better and allow a broader heat range. That's why I said "I've heard". It may be that they won't clear when the step is milled out of the heads or it may be something someone made up. I've never tried them.
Northlake, TX
erco

Post by erco »

Great video!

66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Good video. Makes the 60's engine technology look very crude.

I always liked Saab cars. Saab engineering was very good. They were the first to make turbocharging practical and readily available. Sadly they are no longer around.

It won't happen in during my life, but I predict electrification of "old cars" will be common in the the future. I'll miss the Corvair engine sound, but the convenience will be worth it. It is just a matter of cost.
erco

Post by erco »

I briefly had a Saab 900 turbo. Condition was just the opposite of my Corvair, great body, engine & tranny needed work. Perfect, I hate body work but like working on powertrains. But every trip to the Saab dealer for parts revealed the dark side of these cars, they are just not designed for home mechanics. Many special tools required and some parts just not available. I needed a weird e-clip inside the auto transmission. A 10-cent part on an American car, I figured a few bucks at Saab. Nope, not available. Even the dealer can't get it. Any tranny problem they swap in a rebuilt BW tranny. Just dumb.

Then I went to adjust the valves. STUPID process. Each valve has a custom shim to take up lash. First you measure and record the lash at each valve. Then you unbolt the overhead cam and shove it sideways. Then you remove, measure, and record each valve shim. You calculate a replacement shim thickness based on thickness & required lash adjustment. Then you go to the dealer to buy new custom thickness shims. Occasionally you can swap & reuse some. The shims are smaller than a dime and cost ~$8 each... like printing money.

While I'm at the parts counter buying shims, the guy asks how many miles on the car, it was 110K. He says, "See you tomorrow." What???

"The timing chain snubber is plastic and will break on any high-mileage car like that when you reinstall the camshaft. You'll be back for the $400 kit that has all those parts. " :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I very carefully reinstalled the cam, the snubber DIDN'T break, and got the car running again. Phew.

I donated the car to a charity. Never again.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Yes that's one reason Saab cars aren't around. When GM bought Saab they basically just re-badged a GM Euro car as a Saab, but then GM decided to get out of the European market. Now one of GM's biggest markets is China --- and we can see were that is going! One reason GM is going electric --- 30% less labor to build an electric car. Only remaining issue is battery cost, and now there is serious work going on to get that down. Some of the battery science looks very promising.

Sadly the Corvair is a lot like the Saab, enjoyable different, but when the engine or transaxle breaks it is expensive compared fixing other 60's cars.

We've had a few folks in the club that bought Corvairs since they are a bargain compared to the Camaro or Mustang. Then something expensive breaks and they send the Corvair off to the crusher. That's why I believe an electric power train conversion could save the Corvair - long term. Then again just speculating.
gbullman

Post by gbullman »

I'm running the Bosch 44-46 Heat Range, Regular Tip plugs from Clark's (C3927).

No issues for a little over 4K miles with an XR700 unit. Put them both in at the same time.

Not sure what issues to look for with plugs to be honest.
Gary Bullman
66 Corsa Convertible
Cjohnso-2016

Post by Cjohnso-2016 »

I have been looking around for a car for my teenager. (she is an old soul, dresses like a girl straight out of the 50's FYI you see this girl getting out of this car you would be like yup i can see that!
I saw a couple Corvair's in Sioux Falls SD area 2 weeks ago, then today i came across another $4800 interior looks like its in great shape and is original, tires look ok also. This is A Corvair 1963 like many others this has no A/C. I don't know if there is a Mechanic located in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
My teen is in love with the look of this car and says no A/C that's ok.
I went to Clarkes and saw the kit alone is around $2400 to install A/C and general maintenance on this car? Do you feel with 64,000 miles this car if is sound would get around just as well as any other older car? when i go look at this car what should i be looking for? The frame is the shell? I don't see any rust. This fella has been keeping this car in a large pull barn with cement floor, has had just 2 owners. My daughter would be using this to go to dads during the school yr two weeks out of the month 25 miles one way.
Recap are there red flags i should look for in an older car?
Is there a mechanic in my area?
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

gbullman wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:39 pm I'm running the Bosch 44-46 Heat Range, Regular Tip plugs from Clark's (C3927).

No issues for a little over 4K miles with an XR700 unit. Put them both in at the same time.

Not sure what issues to look for with plugs to be honest.
The main spark plug issue on the old forum posts was the "extended tip" spark plugs. Getting the tip further into the chamber has some advantages, but clearance is an issue, especially if the head gasket surface has been machined!

At one time a fellow who raced Corvairs would buy boxes of extended tip spark plugs, then mark them and install the ones were the side electrode was toward the center of the piston, to increase electrode clearance, after the spark plug was torqued down!!! Not sure if it was worth the effort, but it points out there was a known clearance issue.

The other argument is resistor vs. non-resistor spark plugs. Since the Corvair plugs are under a metal fan shroud, only the spark plug wires needed to be resistance core to suppress radio noise. At one time GM saved a few cents on non resistor plugs for the Corvair, then they became more expensive from the manufacture (low demand) and Chevy switched to resistor type spark plugs for the Corvair.

Running resistance plugs with resistance spark plug wire has little if any impact on the spark at the plug gap. The mid 60's coil ignition system is designed to provide the best spark based on resistance in the path to the spark plug gap.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”