65 Monza Light issues PLEASE HELLLPP!!!

All Models and Years
Corvidiot

65 Monza Light issues PLEASE HELLLPP!!!

Post by Corvidiot »

Ok so I’m completely new to Corvairs mine was gifted to me by my fiancé’s grandpa as a project car to keep me busy after losing my son in February. She’s a rust bucket convertible that needs a complete interior and ALOT of rust repair. Anyways getting into it she runs on her own power but my issue is my turn signals do not work period they did before I took off the gauges to paint the dash but now they do not plus another fun one is I have two lights on if I have the headlight switch plugged in plus my brake lights stay on dimly without ground but as soon as you ground one of them the grounded one gets bright but the other one doesn’t light up period. I need help desperately..
terribleted

Re: 65 Monza Light issues PLEASE HELLLPP!!!

Post by terribleted »

Is the headlamp switch tight and well grounded where it mounts to the dash? Is the instrument cluster ground strap (bottom of cluster left of steering column) fully grounded to the dash?
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:clap: :wave: :welcome2: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

To troubleshoot and perform effective fault isolation, it is important that you have a basic understanding of the lighting and turn signal systems. The brake lights and front/rear turn signal switching is routed through a switch in the steering column. Each 1157 bulb in the rear has two internal filaments. The bright filament serves as both the brake light and turn signal light (depending on the position of the turn signal switch). When the turn signal switch is in the OFF position, power is provided to both rear bulb filaments from the brake pedal switch. When the turn signal switch is ON (right or left), power for the selected side is drawn from the turn signal flasher in the fuse block. (Power is also routed to the bright filament in the front 1157 bulb (right or left) when the turn signal is engaged. On the other, non-selected side, the rear bulb continues to receive its power from the brake pedal switch, while the front bulb on the same side remains off).

The headlights and front/rear running lights (using the 1157 bulb dim filaments) work independently of the brake and turn signals, and are controlled by the main light switch. The proper function of all bulbs depends on a good GROUND for each bulb mount or socket.

The material below provides more details on this process...
Alan Duquette wrote:...When my left blinker is on and flashing and then I step on the brakes, it stops blinking but is still illuminated. My right blinker works normally. Also when I insert the ignition key at times, the Gen/Fan light blinks and flashes at me. I also, hear blinking noise but observe no blinking lights when I drive. Any thoughts would be helpful. I've never encountered this before.

Left-click the image to enlarge it for better viewing or "Pan & Scan". Left-click a second time for maximum enlargement...
1965 Corvair Monza Full Schematic
CORVAIR COMBINED WIRING SCHEMATIC DIAGRAMS
:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=12968

Turn signal switch output to the left-rear bright filament in the 1157 bulb is via the 20 B/Y wire. This wire is connected to switch terminal "LR" in the steering column turn signal switch. When the turn signal switch is OFF, "LR" and "RR" are both tied to B+ (the brake pedal switch continuous power source), so when you step on the brake pedal, BOTH tail light bright lights are turned on.

When you engage the left turn signal, "LR" is supposed to disconnect from B+ and temporarily connect to TS+ (the flasher output) so that "LR" and "LF" (Left Rear and Left Front) are both fed flashing on/off voltage to flash the left front and rear turn signals (the appearance of the front and rear bulb load to ground causes the flasher unit to begin cycling on and off, as current begins to flow from the flasher unit through the two bulbs and the instrument panel left turn signal bulb). While all of this turn signal action is going on, the rear bulb on the opposite side remains connected to B+. This allows the brake light to come on on the opposite side from the flashing side, so that applying the brakes AND indicating a turn are both shown at the rear of the car, indicating that you are braking and slowing while making a turn.

AS LONG AS THE LEFT TURN SIGNAL SWITCH IS ENGAGED, THE REAR BULB IS SUPPOSED TO HAVE NO CONNECTION TO B+. The fact that the signal stops flashing and both the front and rear bulbs and the instrument panel left turn indicator go to continuous ON whenever you step on the brake pedal (applying voltage to B+) would indicate an electrical short in the turn signal switch, that is somehow allowing BOTH the B+ and the TS+ flashing voltage to be applied to the left front and rear bulbs at the same time. The left turn signal works normally until B+ voltage appears (when you step on the brake). Then the continuous brake pedal switch voltage takes over the circuit — overriding the flasher voltage with continuous brake pedal switch voltage.
Alan Duquette wrote:...when I insert the ignition key at times, the Gen/Fan light blinks and flashes at me. I also, hear blinking noise but observe no blinking lights when I drive.
A short circuit is placing a load to ground causing the flasher to be activated. If you examine the schematic diagram, you will see that the flasher receives voltage from the ignition switch via a connection at the fuse block. The only output of the flasher is an 18 PPL connection directly to the curved multi-connector on the steering column, which is then connected to TS+ inside the turn signal switch. Unless the curved connector on the steering column is damaged or melted, the short is likely inside the turn signal switch itself. The GEN/FAN bulb is connected to two wires. One of them is labeled 20 BRN and is tied to the voltage regulator and to the ignition switch (which is also tied to the flasher). I suspect that the electrical short that is activating the flasher is also disrupting the connection to the GEN/FAN light (via the ignition switch), which is causing it to flash in time with the turn signal flasher. If you are able to locate the fault at the turn signal switch or multi-connector at the steering column, this secondary flashing of the GEN/FAN bulb will likely go away.

So I would start by carefully checking the curved multi-connector along the steering column. Look for a melted or broken plastic connector. If everything appears to be OK at the connector and along the wiring harness, you will have to remove the steering wheel and examine the turn signal switch to look for an electrical short.

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=87

The Corsa and Monza instrument panels can develop problems with the electric instruments and/or illumination lights. The panels are plastic, so a metal conductive grounding strap links the electric gauges together and then ties them to chassis ground at a single point. If the single screw that attaches that grounding strap to the metal dashboard becomes loose or corroded, the electrical ground to the instrument panel components may be lost and this can disrupt the operation of the electric gauges and illumination lights.

Also, each bulb socket must be properly grounded. The aging bulb housings and mounts can become loose or corroded, providing each rear or front bulb a poor ground return. Headlights can also act up if poorly grounded. The high beam switch on the floor is a notorious problem area for high and low beams. The rear engine compartment multi-connector contains many metal connectors that can become bent, damaged or corroded. Even when both halves of the plastic housing appear to be tightly plugged together, the internal electrical connections may be poor.

There is a large multi-connector in the Late Model engine compartment that can be a source of wiring problems. It is on the driver's side, below the voltage regulator. Even if the two halves of the plastic shell appear to be tightly pressed together, the metal connector pins inside can become deformed or corroded.

Left-click the image to enlarge it for better viewing or "Pan & Scan". Click a second time for maximum enlargement...

1965-1969 Corvair Engine Compartment Wiring Diagram (CORRECTED)

Dielectric-Tune-Up-Grease can sometimes improve the electrical connection in older metal connectors...
All rear circuits route through the engine compartment multi-connector (below the voltage regulator, near the firewall). The number of metal connector pins inside depend on the Corvair model year, ranging from 8-12 pins. This rear multi-connector is a common source of trouble, as it is subjected to age, vibration, heat, and moisture for many years. Even when the outer plastic shell halves appear to be tightly connected, the internal metal pins may not be providing good electrical connectivity, as they may be loose, dirty, corroded, or bent.

:link: https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-22058-D ... ric+grease
Permatex 22058 Dielectric Tune-Up Grease, 3 oz. Tube

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your post and tell us more about yourself, as well as about your Corvair. Your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, your Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you, your Corvair, and you plans for your Corvair will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Knowing where you live also helps, as your location may suggest some possibilities or solutions. Detailed photographs of your Corvair, including interior, trunk, and engine compartment would be great!

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader (.pdf) format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA club chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Brad gave you a lot to check.
I'll give you the first two steps.
1) Fix your tail light grounds. It's a common problem. A lot of people solder a ground wire to the socket.
2) Check the switch and dash grounds like Ted suggested.
If this doesn't clear it up then check the turn signal switch like Brad suggested. They are pretty poorly designed and cause really strange problems when failing. I had one that made the tail lights flash randomly using the turn signal flasher.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”