Headlights Not Working

All Models and Years
68_Stinger

Headlights Not Working

Post by 68_Stinger »

Hello,
On my 68 the headlights do not work at the current moment and I don't know where to start. I am thinking it might be the headlight switch, but I don't know for sure. Where would be a good place to start?
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Headlights Not Working

Post by bbodie52 »

:think: Are the running lights working? Are both high and low beams on both sides out? There could be a headlight switch, dimmer switch, electrical plug/socket fault, or a ground fault. Try to use the schematic diagram to trace the circuit from the light switch, through the dimmer switch, and then through the electrical connectors, the headlight light bulbs, and finally to CHASSIS GROUND. Once you understand how the circuit is supposed to work, you can then use that knowledge and a multimeter to probe and test the circuit to examine the wiring and components in your car to find the actual point of failure so that it can be corrected.

The floor-mounted dimmer switch and wiring socket is a common problem area. If you have a multimeter, you can check for voltage at the plug to see if voltage is present at the input to the switch when the main light switch is ON. Also check the plug and switch connectors to see if they ar clean and tight, or if they are burned or corroded. If a multimeter shows voltage entering and exiting the dimmer switch, the voltage leaves the dimmer switch and passes through a large multi-connector where it enters the trunk area. This connector could have loose or corroded wiring contacts. The next point to check would be the headlight bucket and wiring harness to see if headlight voltage is reaching that point. If it is, check for a poor ground connection between the headlight connector and chassis ground.

NOTE: The wiring schematics below are from the 1965 Corvair Shop Manual. There were some changes and the wiring color codes changed in 1966-1969. The wiring diagram is still useful to help with your troubleshooting and fault isolation, but please be aware that the wiring colors on your car may be different.

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... w_page=84B

Part number C1332: 64-69 HEADLIGHT SWITCH

Weight: 0 lbs 10 oz
Catalog Page(s): 84B,R-24
Price: $ 17.90

Part number C457: DIMMER SWITCH

Weight: 0 lbs 4 oz
Catalog Page(s): 84B
Price: $ 16.35

Left-click the image to enlarge it for better viewing. Left-click a second time for maximum enlargement ("Pan & Scan")...
1965 Corvair Monza Full Schematic (Rev. E).jpg

1965-1969 Corvair Trunk Schematic Diagram.jpg
:chevy: :wrench:
Attachments
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 12 - BODY & CHASSIS ELECTRICAL.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 12 - BODY & CHASSIS ELECTRICAL
(6.99 MiB) Downloaded 20 times
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - FRONT LIGHTING.pdf
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - FRONT LIGHTING
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 19 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
68_Stinger

Post by 68_Stinger »

The running lights/ hi-low beams don't work at all. Thank you for all the info I have a few areas to go off now, if it is the headlight switch what's the easiest way to get to it without being a contortionist.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The headlights and running/parking lights are all powered through the main light switch. The brake lights and turn signal lights receive their power from the brake pedal switch or the turn signal flasher in the fuse block, and are both wired via the turn signal switch in the steering column.

Primary power for the main light switch is from a 14 Gauge Red wire that is not fused. The ignition switch, horn relay, cigarette lighter, and light switch are all powered by a direct power bus from the battery and charging system. If your horn, cigarette lighter, etc. all work, that helps to confirm your power source. i would guess that the power switch may be the failure point, but you might start by looking at the connector plug that plugs into the switch. It may be corroded or burned, but it might just be loose. See if you can unplug/inspect the wiring and electrical plug connector at the switch. Just unplugging it and re-seating it on the switch may clear your problem.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
doug6423

Post by doug6423 »

I just had this problem on my 65. All the lights worked but the headlights. Took out the dimmer switch and messed with it, plugged it back in and the headlights work. Ordered a new dimmer switch and waiting on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
65 Monza
Cincinnati, OH
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

doug6423 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:00 am I just had this problem on my 65. All the lights worked but the headlights. Took out the dimmer switch and messed with it, plugged it back in and the headlights work. Ordered a new dimmer switch and waiting on it.

Check out the dimmer switch plug. Often they are corroded and can cause headlight issues like you had. Changing the switch is often only 1/2 the repair. Clark's sells a new plug with new contacts and wire to splice in above any corrosion (often goes 2- 3" up inside each wire). If the plug has any corrosion at all replace it.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

All the ones I've had trouble with just needed to be switched a dozen or so times to clean up the internal contacts but I don't live in the rust belt.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
doug6423

Post by doug6423 »

Thanks Ted & Joel,
The plug looks good but has signs of being too hot. And I’ve clicked it many times and the lights have come back on... until now. So it’s time for a new one.

65 Monza
Cincinnati, OH

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”