Vent windows 66 Monza

All Models and Years
Corvaircar

Vent windows 66 Monza

Post by Corvaircar »

I purchased a window and door seal kit from Clarks, comes with the vent window seals. Mine are not too bad but I have the doors off and my question is do I have to remove the vent window from the car to change the rubbers?
How much trouble am I getting myself into or is this a pretty straightforward operation?
I have a shop manual but do not find anything in there about the removal. Thanks.
Corvaircar

Re: Vent windows 66 Monza

Post by Corvaircar »

I purchased a window and door seal kit from Clarks, comes with the vent window seals. Mine are not too bad but I have the doors off and my question is do I have to remove the vent window from the car to change the rubbers? I would think so.
How much trouble am I getting myself into or is this a pretty straightforward operation?
I have a shop manual but do not find anything in there about the removal. Is it better to have the door window in the up or down position or does it matter.
Thanks.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Yes you must remove the vent assemblies from the car and disassemble them to change the rubber. It is not too bad a job. Keep track of where the adjustable studs and bolts are to make it easier to align them when you put them back in.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Corvaircar

Post by Corvaircar »

Does it matter if the window is up or down, the door is laying flat on my bench, I am thinking that the window needs to be open if I have to get my hands in there.
Thanks for replying.
Corvaircar

Post by Corvaircar »

Do I have to remove the adjusting bolt on the door jamb? I would hate to have to try and reinstall it but that is where it seems to be sticking as I pull it up. I am a bit tentative to force it as I do not want to break anything.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

The assembly will come out whole with the little stud on the front and the stud still in the bottom. Fuzzies need to come off the door as the vent assembly will need to move to the rear some during removal. Remove the glass channel at the rear of the door as well as the down stop from the middle of the door. Put glass all the way down and push to the rear. this should give you enough clearance to wiggle the vent window out. Start by moving the bottom of the glass channel by the adjuster rearward. When the nut stud on the front adjuster clears the door you the whole unit up and back kinda. when the unit is almost out of the door you will need to rotate it 90 degrees to get the adjuster out of the door. Protecting any painted edges with care and a couple layers of masking tape is a good idea.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

Corvaircar

Post by Corvaircar »

Thanks for that. I'll give it a go tomorrow.
Corvaircar

Post by Corvaircar »

curvature
curvature
curvature
curvature
IMG_1479.JPG
I managed to get the vent window out and in though I was still not happy with the side window motion, it would stick and I would have to push or pull on the glass to get it over the hump. I this rail supposed to be curved in this manner?
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

No should be straight.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”