66 Corvair conv

All Models and Years
monzadon

66 Corvair conv

Post by monzadon »

I am reparing my 140 motor because of dropped valve seats and I am going to replace the rings and rod bearings while I have it out of the car, my question is how hard is it to replace the crank seals without splitting the case?
terribleted

Re: 66 Corvair conv

Post by terribleted »

Splitting the case is not needed to change the crankshaft end seals
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Rear one comes right out but the front presses into the bell housing from the inside. Neither seal touches the crank case.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
monzadon

Post by monzadon »

Thanks for the information, where can I find the information on what has to be done to change these seals?
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I've attached a portion of the 1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual as a reference, and included a couple of videos to help you with the seals.

1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 6 - ENGINE (Copy Attached)
Engine Rear Housing Seal Replacement.... Page 6-51
Flywheel Housing Seal Replacement........Page 6-51

Dave Motohead Corvair YouTube Videos... :link: https://www.youtube.com/user/davemotohead1/videos

Clark’s CRANK SEALS – the BEST QUALITY
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... ow_page=7A

NOTE: I have read comments from several sources on the Corvair Forum that DO NOT recommend installation of Viton crankshaft seals. They apparently do not seal as well as conventional seals when used in the rear housing and clutch housing. Viton o-rings and gaskets are definately recommended for other locations throughout the engine, however.

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader (.pdf) format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA club chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:chevy: :wrench:
Attachments
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 6 - ENGINE.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 6 - ENGINE
(19.37 MiB) Downloaded 30 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”