Starter removal

All Models and Years
64powerglide

Starter removal

Post by 64powerglide »

What's the easiest way to remove the starter in a 64 Monza coupe? I can get a wrench on the inside bolt but I cannot get it to move. I need more leverage but have to use a short wrench. i'm thinking I have to pull the engine seals so I can lower the back of the engine a bit.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Starter removal

Post by bbodie52 »

With the left side of the vehicle jacked up and on a jack stand (for safety), removal of the left-rear wheel gives good access to the starter.

The use of a long socket extension bar will often permit the use of a larger breaker bar to loosen a stubborn upper bolt. A six-point socket will get a better "grab" on the bolt head than a 12-point socket.

A Cautionary Tale...

Sometimes the "nose" of the starter housing will crack or fracture. If this occurs and you remove the bad starter to replace it, the broken piece can fall down into the clutch bell housing — where it can be difficult to retrieve. If you suspect a broken starter housing, try to use caution when exracting the starter from the engine. In 1980 I had a broken piece drop into the clutch bell housing on my 1965 Corvair. I ended up supporting the engine on a piece of plywood and a hydraulic floor jack. Then I had to loosen/remove the bolts that held the bell housing to the differential, so that I could separate the engine from the differential enough to permit the broken starter piece to drop out of the bottom of the bell housing.
:doh: :angry: :banghead:

Part number C788A: 61-69 NON-GM STARTER NOSE-SOLENOID GKT= C1277,SOL SCREWS-C2262 (C788A NOT FOR 1960!)
Clark's Corvair Parts wrote: If this breaks it is usually due to:
  1. A bad ring gear on the pressure plate or torque converter.
  2. A bad starter drive.

Weight: 1 lbs 2 oz
Catalog Page(s): 86(23)
Price:
1 - 1 $ 20.00

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Thanks Brad, I had everything off except the inner bolt but I went out & got a 12 point box end wrench on the bolt with my left hand then I slid a small 2x4 in against the wrench then got my left hand out & hit the 2x4 with a hammer, all it took was one tunk & it was loose. :tu: Now to get it back in after I figure out whats wrong. My daughter was driving it & called & said it wouldn't start, I had it towed home & all it was doing is grinding so i'm thinking nose cone.

Kalamazoo, Mi..
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Short version: Disconnect the positive battery cable. Take the wheel off. Take the heater duct hose off. Disconnect the large battery cable from the starter and the 2 smaller wires taking note of which goes where. Use a 3/8" ratchet with a combination of socket and extension that will get the ratchet just past the end of the starter. Remove the top inner bolt completely before loosening the outer lower bolt unless it is hard to turn after the initial loosening. If it is you might have to loosen the other bolt and move the starter a little.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

I got it out this afternoon, had everything out of the way but had trouble with the inside bolt but got a short box end wrench on it & had to put a short piece of 2x4 in against the wrench & gave it a tap with a hammer & it broke loose. Had just enough room to clear the linkage & she's out. Nose cone broke & Rafee has the order & I should have it Friday. :tu: Been sitting for 2 months because I wasn't well enough to work on it. Hope I have her up & running next week snow or not.

Kalamazoo, Mi..
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Now you just have to wonder why the nose cone broke. worn starter gear or drive? Bad teeth on ring gear? Loose ring gear with some broken welds on PG or loose flywheel on stick car? Every now and then one breaks for no apparent reason and new nose cone works for a long time. Most times however something is wrong and a replacement fails before a long period of time unless the issue is fixed.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Ted, everything was new except the starter which had a new solenoid, new bendix gear, new torque converter. must have been old age. My daughter was driving it at the time & she had parked the car then went to start it& all it did was grind. I wonder if one of her kids had ran the battery down listening to the radio & when she tried to start it the gears didn't mesh right & snapped the cone.

Kalamazoo, Mi..
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Time will tell after replacement. I hope you are correct. I doubt that a low battery would have caused the nose to get cracked.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

A low battery would put less stress on the nose. If nothing else is wrong maybe the starter was dropped at some point in its life.
Northlake, TX
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

I talked to a friend & he restores cars & specializes in Woody wagons & Corvette's & he told me if the battery was low the solenoid wouldn't push the bendix gear out quick enough to mesh with the ring gear, he said it could have hit gear to gear & caused the bendix gear to kick sideways just enough to crack the nose cone. When I had the engine out 4 years ago he took the starter apart when we put the new solenoid in & lubed the bushings, everything was good. No cracks in the cone then.

Kalamazoo, Mi..
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

The problem with that theory is that if you had damaged teeth and a hot battery it would break the starter immediately but it doesn't. They just grind.
Northlake, TX
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

I have no damaged gear teeth, everything we new 4 years ago except the nose cone. I just figure metal fatigue on a 56 year part. I should have :tu: it up & running late Friday or early Saturday.

Kalamazoo, Mi..
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Starter is all fixed & ready to install, 3 days ago it was 70 here & today it was 40 & snowing, just a bit though.

Kalamazoo, Mi..

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”