Headliner Mystery

All Models and Years
ccs42

Headliner Mystery

Post by ccs42 »

Hello All!

I'm throwing a headliner into a '66 coupe. When I purchased the car, the remnants of the original headliner had pulled away from the edges of the roof and was hanging on by the rods. I'm trying to understand how (and where) the front edge tucks in, but it's like building a jigsaw puzzle without seeing the box. It also appears that the windshield was removed and re-installed with new sealant by the previous owner. I suspect that the area used for tucking the headliner is now thoroughly stuffed with silicone. Here's a photo of that front edge from below looking up and forward. Does the headliner tuck behind that leading metal edge with multiple divots?
Attachments
IMG_2413.jpg
Chris
Geiselberg, Germany
'66 Monza 3-Speed/140
terribleted

Re: Headliner Mystery

Post by terribleted »

The headliner wraps around the metal in your photo and then above the metal. Once it is in place there is an interior color plastic strip that pushes on to the metal flange to hold the headliner in place. All the sealant that is impeding installation of the retaining strip must be removed. If it is actually silicone that is in there all of it should be removed. Silicone is not a good material to use to install a windshield. I would bet it is likely windshield urethane (it would be a hard material and would cut like rubber). If it is soft it could be some sort of windshield re-sealant. You can try to cut, scrape and remove what is necessary to allow installation of headliner and retaining strip. best solution would be removal of the windshield and any and all caulk or urethane materials and then reinstallation with the proper butyl strip material like was used in the factory. If you do not have the retaining strip to push over the headliner once in place you would need to find a used one as these are not reproduced. You might also be able to use a more common and available U shaped welting and use that. Welting is used in many auto applications at least through the 60's and is commonly available in a few different thicknesses and size. Clark's Corvair Parts sells some in different colors by the foot for use along the sides of the headliners on per 64 cars as well as a number of other spots on Corvairs. I have not tried their material for this application, but I think the contours could work?
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The attached 1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - SECTION 4 - HEADLINING may be of some help. If you would like to download the complete 1966 Fisher Body Service Manual, it can be downloaded for free using the following link...

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA club chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:chevy:
Attachments
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - SECTION 4 - HEADLINING.pdf
1966 Fisher Body Service Manual - SECTION 4 - HEADLINING
(1.78 MiB) Downloaded 43 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
ccs42

Post by ccs42 »

Thanks for clearing that up. I'll see how much space I can create, if any.

Terribleted, you mentioned that the plastic strips are not currently produced. Am I wrong for thinking that strip is part C5386 on page 269A of Clark's catalog?

http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... _page=269A
Chris
Geiselberg, Germany
'66 Monza 3-Speed/140
steve57

Post by steve57 »

Here’s some of pictures, front windshield original headliner trim piece
C059C5C1-E67A-46B6-B19B-4180BA383A2D.jpeg
and Clark’s rear window trim piece
E2CDF97C-D09E-4EFC-BE12-CFBF635649EF.jpeg
As you can see they are different.
image.jpg
You can also just use the aftermarket replacement plastic windlace trim in the front and rear , this the same stuff holding the headliner along the edges.
Steve
Bakersfield,CA
1969 monza coupe
110, 4speed
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

ccs42 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:08 am Thanks for clearing that up. I'll see how much space I can create, if any.

Terribleted, you mentioned that the plastic strips are not currently produced. Am I wrong for thinking that strip is part C5386 on page 269A of Clark's catalog?

http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... _page=269A
Guess what, that is the correct piece:) I missed that one (and I thought I had the whole catalog memorized). That will make replacement easier. I actually looked before I posted and did not find these as I was looking in the index for windshield trim and it is not listed there for some reason.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”