One Leaky Valve Cover??

All Models and Years
terribleted

Re: One Leaky Valve Cover??

Post by terribleted »

joelsplace wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:21 pm
Silicone used sparingly is great. People that goop it on have given it a bad reputation.
Permatex #2 is good also if used properly and it is actually specified in the factory service manual for some things.
I find the Permatex #2 to be excellent on valve covers where expansion rates of the aluminum head and steel cover may be a little different from each other as it stays thick gooey and pliable. Once silicone sealer dry the become slippery and solid so any variation of the sealed items expansion can make one or the other slide on the silicone and maybe cause a seep. At least this is what I think. I have seen a very large number of leaking Corvair valve covers that have silicone sealant on them, more I think than valve covers with no sealant even.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

It won't slip off the surfaces are clean. It will stick to them and has the needed flex for the different expansion rates. It is difficult to get all the oil off the valve cover surface on the head so that it will stick. I put gaskets on dry.
114 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

joelsplace wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:31 pm
It won't slip off the surfaces are clean. It will stick to them and has the needed flex for the different expansion rates. It is difficult to get all the oil off the valve cover surface on the head so that it will stick. I put gaskets on dry.
I generally put good cork rubber gaskets on dry as well, but when I have a seep Issue I go to new gasket with Permatex #2
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”