Headlight buckets or light mounts

All Models and Years
Corvaircar

Headlight buckets or light mounts

Post by Corvaircar »

Working on my 66 Monza. I am trying to align my headlights and bezels in the buckets and have realized that I have the driver side headlight mount from possibly a 65 car. Both buckets look original and the same. The drivers side headlight mount has 3 protruding brackets to mount the bezel to and the original passenger side does not. Other than the fact that the headlight mount is not cut out to go over the bucket mount it looks much the same as the passenger side. Could I assume that the 66 had the bezel mounting tabs welded onto the buckets and the 65 bezel mounted to the tabs on the headlight mount? If I simply remove the tabs from the headlight mount on the one that is not correct will the headlight mounting bracket be essentially the same or do I need to find a mounting bracket from a 66? Apologies if this sounds convoluted but it is the best I think I can do.
If anyone can understand this and has some information that would help I would appreciate your input. At this time I have the buckets, mounts and headlights removed from the car.
joelsplace

Re: Headlight buckets or light mounts

Post by joelsplace »

Pictures would be a big help.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The attached extract from the 1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - FRONT LIGHTING has some illustrations that may be helpful. I have also attached 1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 12 - BODY & CHASSIS ELECTRICAL. The first few pages cover headlight alignment and adjustment.

If you need specific details about the 1966 body assembly, and any differences that may exist between the 1965 and 1966 Corvairs, you may be able to get an answer from the Corvair Ranch in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. They have a large inventory of used parts and may be able to answer your questions, as well as provide any used components you may need.
bbodie52 wrote:You might contact the Corvair Ranch in Gettysburg Pennsylvania. They have a large inventory of used Corvair parts and may be able to help guide you regarding parts interchange and fitment. Recommend you give them a call to discuss your needs...

:link: http://www.corvairranch.com/

1079 Bon-Ox Road, ​Gettysburg, ​PA. 17325 USA
​Phone: 717-624-2805

fax us by the same number... ask us to hook up the machine

Email: findit@theranch.today

Our hours are Monday thru Friday 9 to 5, Saturday 9 to 12 or contact us for an appointment.

Attachments
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - FRONT LIGHTING.pdf
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - FRONT LIGHTING
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 26 times
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 12 - BODY & CHASSIS ELECTRICAL.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 12 - BODY & CHASSIS ELECTRICAL
(6.99 MiB) Downloaded 23 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Corvaircar

Post by Corvaircar »

The 1965 manual clearly shows that I have an assembly from a 65 on my drivers side. I do have a 66 manual. I am working up north right now and cannot reference my manual nor take photos. If the headlight bracket is the same for both years with only the bezel mounts being different then I will probably be okay as the bezel mounts for the 66 year are mounted on the actual buckets and not on the bracket. The brackets look the same after removing the bezel mounts on the drivers side. The car had suffered damage on the drivers side front fender and I suspect this was why the headlight bracket was replaced with the one from the 65 model.I will as you suggest contact the Corvair ranch but they still may not be able to confirm that the parts are interchangeable. Looking the same and being the same are not always accurate. The 65 mount bolts to the bucket exactly the same. Being as I am in Canada and pay a premium to have parts delivered I am trying to avoid buying anything I don't really need. Thanks for the help.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”