1964 trim

All Models and Years
corvair500

1964 trim

Post by corvair500 »

I have a 64 "500" that had no trim on the windshield or back glass. I found repro rubber for front and it is ok . But on the back had to get the Monza type . I think it does not have the correct appearance so I would like to acquire some trim , paint it black and install it . Are the trim pieces installed with clips ? Can they be installed with the glass already on car or must the glass be removed ? Any tips would be appreciated as I have never dealt with window trim .
Thanks
terribleted

Re: 1964 trim

Post by terribleted »

Yes some clips are used. They are listed in Clark's latest catalog on page 207 at the bottom of the page There are a number used along the bottom and top as well as a couple on each side. The problem you are going to have is the 2 discontinued ones lower side ones with the studs that are supposed poke in through a drilled hole in the body and nut on from the inside of the car. I have made these using a standard late model windshield trim clip and a suitable screw welder and grinder (drill clip insert and weld in screw and grind off most of head). A little trial and error and a few clips and screws and I got something functional. Install instructions are in the shop manual with a pretty good description as I recall. be sure to look at the 1961 main book and the 62-63 and 64 supplements for fullest info as the install changed a little between 61 and 64.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
corvair500

Post by corvair500 »

Instead of drilling holes , could the trim be glued to the rubber
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

corvair500 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:47 am Instead of drilling holes , could the trim be glued to the rubber
No. The trim sits between the rubber and the body. You can not glue it to the rubber and expect it to stay. Only place where holes are needed is through the metal mounting flange at the bottom on each side for the lower side trim clips you need to find used or make. The rest of the clips slide over the flange around the window opening and are held in place by the rubber until the trim is installed. I suggest placing 6 clips along the bottom with the lower center 2 as close as possible to the joint to help hold it nicely (look at the way the trim is made the center couple inches is off limits on both sides). Use 5-6 clips along the top piece of trim and 1 at the top of each side. use the bolt in clips at the bottom of each side (you could try the same clips as the rest of the way around at these 2 locations but I am not sure they will work).
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”