Shifting from reverse Stalls

All Models and Years
Yellow

Shifting from reverse Stalls

Post by Yellow »

Hi All!! I'm having a new issue that I don't ever remember being discussed. Recently my 62 PG has started to stall once I touch the shifter while in reverse. Just grabbing it seems to stall it. It only happens when I'm shifting FROM reverse into Neutral and NOT from Neutral to Reverse. Any Ideas? I'm dreading going under the dash but have a couple things to check while under there anyway. Thanks Guys!!!
1962 Convertible Monza Powerglide w/ 64 differential and transverse spring and 65 carbs.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Shifting from reverse Stalls

Post by bbodie52 »

The only electrical switching directly associated with the Powerglide shift lever is the NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH (to prevent the starter solenoid from engaging if the transmission is NOT in NEUTRAL), and the backup light switch (to turn on the backup lights when in REVERSE). Neither of these should interrupt the power to the ignition coil when the ignition switch is ON and the engine is running.

:think: :confused: Since the Powerglide shift lever is physically mounted on the instrument panel in your 1962, and it is mounted right next to the ignition switch, I'm guessing that there might be some physical contact between the two, or possibly a loose/corroded electrical connector on the back of the ignition switch that might be disturbed or moved when you shift from REVERSE to NEUTRAL. This might move the connector just enough to momentarily interrupt the electrical connection on the back of the ignition switch, which could momentarily cut power to the coil. The 14 DG wire that is plugged into the ignition switch "C" connector on the back of the switch provides power to many electrical devices in the car when the key is in the ON position, including the ignition coil. A loose or corroded connector might be disturbed by the physical movement of the adjacent transmission shift lever enough to interrupt power to the ignition coil. A careful inspection of the wiring and the electrical connectors behind the instrument panel might reveal the cause of your trouble.

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Yellow

Post by Yellow »

:tu: :tu: :tu: :ty: Thank You so much for the response. Another response on a FB Forum got me thinking electrical and I found my Back up light was not grounding correctly. I fixed that and seems to have fixed it? or at least made it better? I will be driving a bit today so I'll get a better feel. Also I will update.
1962 Convertible Monza Powerglide w/ 64 differential and transverse spring and 65 carbs.
Yellow

Post by Yellow »

Turns out that the light ground was not the problem... Looks like I'll be going under the dash sometime soon.
Yellow wrote::tu: :tu: :tu: :ty: Thank You so much for the response. Another response on a FB Forum got me thinking electrical and I found my Back up light was not grounding correctly. I fixed that and seems to have fixed it? or at least made it better? I will be driving a bit today so I'll get a better feel. Also I will update.
Sent from my LM-V405 using Corvair Forum mobile app

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

This is an unusual problem, but it might just be an intermittent electrical connection in the ignition switch area that is allowing the power to the ignition coil circuit to be disrupted when the Powerglide shift lever is jarred or moved as you described. The fault might be with the external wiring connectors, or it could possibly be an internal fault inside the switch assembly itself. If you have a multimeter, you might use it to monitor the output voltage from the switch "C" terminal (with the key ON) while you move the Powerglide shift lever to see if any voltage disruption is observed. You could also monitor the input voltage at the ignition coil positive terminal while having an assistant move the shift lever.

Brad Bodie
Yellow

Post by Yellow »

Well turns out it was not the ground as it kept stalling. Found that the ignition switch was loose and was causing the issue somehow. All better now. Thank you for your diligence bbodie52. You the man! [emoji120]

Sent from my LM-V405 using Corvair Forum mobile app

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

::-): I love it when something I write actually helps someone! Thanks for the feedback! :tu:
Brad Bodie

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”