Changing The Steering Wheel

All Models and Years
68_Stinger

Changing The Steering Wheel

Post by 68_Stinger »

On my 68 I currently have an aftermarket steering wheel a Grant GT to be exact. I am looking to change it back to a stock wheel and I was able to find one off a 65 Monza and it is complete. I have never changed a steering wheel and my questions are will it work with the 68, and what do I need to do in order to change it?

Thanks, and I can provide pictures and more information if needed.
joelsplace

Re: Changing The Steering Wheel

Post by joelsplace »

Seth is the steering wheel guru. I think the '65 is an oddball smaller size but Seth can tell you for sure.
https://www.perfvair.com/
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost:
Steering Wheel Hub Adapters

These billet aluminum adapters eliminate the need for spacers or other adapters. They have both the correct five-bolt pattern that allows the Grant Signature Series wheels to bolt directly on and (except for the 1964 models) are dual drilled for the six-bolt GM pattern for use with the GM sport wheels. The hub-centric mounting assures a tight fit, and they come complete with a black horn button and wire feed through. Included, for the 1965-66 model, is a new plastic turn signal cancelling cam. This cam replaces the fragile stock part. For earlier models, you remove the original cam and re-install it on the new adapter. These are a gorgeous piece of work, designed and built in the USA. The adapters allow you to choose from many different wheels, and makes installation a breeze. Each adapter includes the black horn button and the cancelling cam if required.

There are four different adapters:
  • All 1960-63 model (Also fits Forward Controls)
  • 1964 Wood Wheel - a duplicate of the factory adapter
  • 1965-66 models (does not work with Telescoping column)
  • 1967-69 fits all
Contact Us:
Performance Corvairs

Seth Emerson
3462 Kirkwood Dr.
San Jose, CA 95117

Email: Sethracer@aol.com
Phone: (408) 247-2237
:link: https://www.perfvair.com/steering-wheel-adapters/

You might contact the Corvair Ranch in Gettysburg Pennsylvania. They have a large inventory of used Corvair parts and may be able to help guide you regarding parts interchange and fitment. Recommend you give them a call to discuss your needs...

:link: http://www.corvairranch.com/

1079 Bon-Ox Road, ​Gettysburg, ​PA. 17325 USA
​Phone: 717-624-2805

fax us by the same number... ask us to hook up the machine

Email: findit@theranch.today

Our hours are Monday thru Friday 9 to 5, Saturday 9 to 12 or contact us for an appointment.

The steering wheel, column, and steering box found in the Corvair over the years was continuously changing for a number of reasons. 1965 and 1966 fitment was unique, and not necessarily a match for later years. Seth Emerson is the person to talk to on this subject.

Read the following link for more information...

Steering wheels, columns, and boxes

:link: http://autoxer.skiblack.com/steering.html

:swerve: :burnout: :confused:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
bacho57

Post by bacho57 »

How difficult is it to replace the steering wheel on a '65 Corsa with a Telescoping Steering Wheel ?
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Although i have not done the work for the project you described, the attached manuals would be where my planning would begin. Are you just swapping the steering wheel, or the complete and functional telescoping steering column?

Assuming that you have all of the telescoping steering column components, the attached assembly manuals and shop manual should be the basis to document the removal and installation process.

:chevy: :wrench: :swerve:
Attachments
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - STEERING.pdf
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - STEERING
(1.92 MiB) Downloaded 25 times
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - TELESCOPING STEERING COLUMN.pdf
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - TELESCOPING STEERING COLUMN
(758.07 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 9 - STEERING.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 9 - STEERING
(4.31 MiB) Downloaded 21 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
erco

Post by erco »

Some discussion on '68 wheels at http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,792566
bacho57

Post by bacho57 »

Brad, I have the Assembley Manuel but not the Shop Manuel. I was hoping that someone did a video. Thanks for your prompt reply.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

joelsplace wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:00 pm Seth is the steering wheel guru. I think the '65 is an oddball smaller size but Seth can tell you for sure.
https://www.perfvair.com/
Yes the 64, 65, 66 models had an oddball spline size for the steering wheel. Seth makes adapters for those. The 67-69 used the standard GM steering wheel spline size so you have more options.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

bacho57 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:28 pm How difficult is it to replace the steering wheel on a '65 Corsa with a Telescoping Steering Wheel ?
There are some telescoping experts on the Corvair Center Forum. They may have the relevant posts in there Frequently Asked Questions section.

The problem with 65 models is there were two different standard steering box/shaft designs. Not sure about the telescopic 65 design. The 66 models keep the standard or fast ratio steering box and just the steering shaft/mast section above the shaft coupler was different making a change to the telescoping unit easier.

Note the Corvette used a similar telescoping unit and folks buy up the Corvair units for conversion. At one time a fellow back east was charging $5,000.00 to convert a Corvair telescopic to a Corvette type and that did NOT include the price of the Corvair telescopic.
erco

Post by erco »

66vairguy wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:43 am The 67-69 used the standard GM steering wheel spline size so you have more options.
True story, my '67 got broken into ~1986 while street parked near my apartment. Thief ignored the Craftsman tools in the back seat. Only the steering wheel and glovebox latch were missing. But guess what, the thief left a crappy non-Corvair steering wheel on the floor which fit the splines! I figured the thief was a Corvair guy with a hint of a conscience.

A few days later, I saw a Corvair driving down my street, and my spider sense was tingling. I followed it (in my Honda) from a distance. Lost it at a light, but I knew the neighborhood it was heading into. Went home and got the crappy wheel, came back and later found the Corvair parked on the street. I looked inside and instantly recognized my steering wheel's Sport Grip cover, so I went up and rang the bell. I explained the situation to the mother who answered the door. She called her son David, who owned the car, a high school kid. I never said a word to him but when he saw me holding his old wheel, he just started sobbing. His mom lit into him like nobody's business. He gave me my wheel & latch back and I left, I could still hear his mom screaming as I drove off. His Corvair was gone within a week.

Short story long, a lot of different wheels will fit a '67. :chevy:

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”