Digital Dash gauges

All Models and Years
1961HearstVan

Digital Dash gauges

Post by 1961HearstVan »

001 (3).jpg
Hi everyone.
I have a Greenbrier that I want to add a tach and a cylinder head temp gauge to but I cannot cut anything on my dash.
Anyone find a digital set that works with our Corvair engines that is compact or housed in a square or rectangle housing?
I want to use my windshield GPS suction mount holder while I'm driving the van and be able to tuck it in my glove box when the van is being shown.
ccs42

Re: Digital Dash gauges

Post by ccs42 »

Howdy! You may have solved your problem by now, but I wanted to offer a strategy. I have a 2-door Monza that came with only a speedometer and a fuel gauge, but I swapped in a Corsa instrument cluster that had room for six gauges. I used a VDO kit (that included a cylinder head temp) to replace all the gauges. Everything looks original to the untrained eye. I’m not familiar with how “swappable” Greenbrier instrument clusters are, but is the an option with more gauge slots that also keeps the original look?

As for viable cylinder head temp gauges, the search is a rough one. I found my kit back in 2014 after VDO ended it’s production run. I consider myself lucky to have found one. I’ll attempt to rediscover that store for you, but maybe the brand name will be enough to direct your search.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Chris
Geiselberg, Germany
'66 Monza 3-Speed/140
wbabst

Post by wbabst »

I have put a Cylinder Head Temp (CHT) and Oil Pressure, and also built a cluster for CHT, Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature. You have plenty of room under the dash to make something fit and look nice. Just a pain to run the wires and oil tubing all the way under the vehicle but I think it is worth the effort.
Attachments
facebook_1582045815282.jpg
Gauges.jpg
facebook_1582045842273.jpg
Current owner
61(x2) Monza Cpe
55 Pontiac Chieftain Wagon

61 Progress here
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chevrole ... 7898185672
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Goose-N6 ... 8869056897
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Corsa Gauge Modifications.jpg
200° - 400° is a normal display range

With a maximum display of 320°F, the display range for the Stewart-Warner Gauge is inadequate for the Corvair

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... ow_page=28
WESTACH GAUGES: These Westach aircraft quality gauges are especially made and calibrated for Corvair. All units are guaranteed against defects in material or workmanship for 1 year. Don't waste $$ on a cheap gauge. All gauges are lighted. All are black rimmed. All include our complete instructions. You must order GAUGE, WIRE and SENDER UNIT

SWIFT GAUGE DUAL 2 INCH ROUND CYLINDER HEAD TEMPERATURE 100-700°F
Image Not a perfect choice fo the Corvair, since it is NOT illuminated.
Can monitor both heads and has adequate display range.

Overview
Note: this instrument is not lighted.
Swift Gauge Cylinder Temperature Gauges work with most 2 cycle 2 cylinder engines.

Dual: CHT/CHT
Size: 2" ROUND
Range: 100-700°F
Similar to Falcon Gauge
Made in China
:link: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... gJGqvD_BwE

SWIFT 14MM CHT SENDER — Overview: 14mm dia. ring, 4ft metal shield wire.

Corvair NGK Spark Plug Specifications...
Corrugated Ribs
Triple-Gasket Sealing Process
Copper Core
Shell

Thread Size: 14mm
Thread Pitch: 1.25mm
Seat Type: Gasket
Resistor: No
Reach: 12.7mm (1/2")
Hex Size: 13/16" (21mm)
Terminal Type: Removable Nut
Overall Height: ISO
Gap: .028" (0.7mm)
Center Electrode

Material: Nickel
Type: Standard
Size: 2.5mm
Projection: Non-Projected
Ground Electrode

Material: Nickel
Type: Standard
Quantity: 1
Specifications

Torque Specs: Cast Iron: 18-25.3 lb. ft. Aluminum: 18-21.6 lb. ft.
Brand: NGK
Heat Range: 6
Longevity: 30k

bbodie52 wrote:Some interesting new parts from Clark's Corvair Parts...
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/pages.c ... y=whatsnew

ImageImage
Thermistor replacement head temp sensors now in stock

We are now stocking the Vairtrix cylinder head temperature sensors. The 62-64 Spyder uses C1717 and the 65-66 Corsa uses C1718. These replace your thermistor at a lower cost and get your temperature gauge working again. Order here
62-64 Spyder C1717
Part number C1717: 62-64 TURBO CYL HEAD TEMP SENSOR *THERMO COUPLER - REPLACEMENT FOR THERMISTER

Weight: 0 lbs 4 oz
Catalog Pages(s):
Price: $ 149.95

65-66 Corsa C1718

Part number C1718: 65-66 TURBO & 140 CYL HEAD TEMP SENSOR *THERMO COUPLER - REPLACEMENT FOR THERMISTER

Weight: 0 lbs 4 oz
Catalog Pages(s):
Price: $ 149.95

Part number C10888: THERMISTER ADAPTOR-THERMISTER INTO 80-110 HP HEADS -- DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN

Weight: 0 lbs 2 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 51
Price: $ 13.85

:link: http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,917867
Vairtrix wrote:Advanced Corvair Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor by Vairtrix
Posted by: Vairtrix
Date: April 06, 2017 08:25AM

Advanced Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor by Vairtrix

The CHT-100 is an advanced Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor for the Corvair Spyder and Corsa models. Designed as a direct replacement for the obsolete AC Delco Thermistor, the CHT-100 uses thermocouple technology for reliable and accurate temperature measurement over the wide range of temperatures experienced in the Corvair air cooled engine. It uses your existing Spyder or Corsa dash gauge for a stock look with upgraded performance.

The CHT-100 uses advanced digital technology to convert the thermocouple measurement to a constant resistance source, matched specifically to the Corvair dash mounted cylinder head temperature gauge. It performs sensor linearization using tables published by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). The CHT-100 includes Cold Junction compensation to maintain accuracy over a wide range of ambient temperatures. Finally, the output of the CHT-100 is matched to the unique non-linear response curve of the Spyder and Corsa dash gauges. The result is a sensor that outperforms the original AC Delco design and provides an accurate temperature report from 200 to 600 degrees Fahrenheit.

For more information on this product, visit http://www.vairtrix.com/#!/HOME

My name is Pete Faulkner and I live in the DC area. I bought my first Corvair, a ‘68 500 in 1973 and have had several since. I currently own a ’63 Spyder, purchased in ’88 and restored in ’94. I have been a member of the San Diego and Northern Virginia Corvair Clubs.

Frustrated with the supplier community’s lack of progress in coming up with a suitable replacement for the Corvair Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor, I developed the Vairtrix CHT-100 with the goal of accuracy over the entire expected temperature range. I didn’t feel it was necessary to examine or reproduce the GM sensor as its accuracy is rather poor. It would have been akin to reproducing leaky push rod tube seals by seeking the original formula for neoprene. Instead, I focused on the gauge and set out to design a sensor that would line up with the unique characteristics of the Corvair Spyder and Corsa gauges.

I believe I have hit all of my design objectives in this first version. My only concern is long term reliability and time will tell if I have achieved this goal. In my past life, we did reliability predictions using software modeling and accelerated life testing in the chamber. Instead, I’m relying on a small loyal group of folks within the community who actually drive their Corvairs to serve that purpose.

Jim Simpson was gracious enough to send me his gauge curves and I referenced them for the firmware lookup tables. The fantastic people at the Corvair Ranch have provided support and together, we are conducting field trials.

My fiancé’ Misti owns a Graphics Design and Marketing firm and she put together a Corporate Identity, Logo and a web presence. She does this stuff in her sleep.

For those of you that may question my street cred, I have been a Corvair owner since 1973 and possess over 35 years of experience in developing sophisticated military and automotive electronic systems with high survivability that are used in the harshest of environments. Formerly, I was a member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE), the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) and the National Defense Industrial Association (NDIA). I am now retired and doing this for the Corvair Community as a hobby
Apparently made from UNOBTAINIUM, this VDO cylinder head tempeature gauge was pulled from production years ago for a redesign, and it never came back!

VDO 600F Cylinder Head Temperature (CHT) Gauge, Cockpit, Black Face, 2 1/16", V310901

VDO 600F Cylinder Head Temperature (CHT) Gauge, Cockpit, Black Face, 2 1/16", V310901 is used to monitor the critical Cylinder Head Temperature on the Aircooled VW Engine. We feel critical temperatures are 425F when the thermocouple is mounted under a spark plug. This is THE MOST IMPORTANT GAUGE YOU CAN HAVE ON YOUR VW! This gauge kit comes WITH the wiring harness, and the sending unit, you do not have to purchase these separately unless you want to have spares!

Some other guys get nervous around 400F, and we can't say this is wrong. Busses tend to run much hotter temps due to the load they are pushing. These gauges are best used as a REFERENCE, get used to them, and if you see it "too high" one day FIGURE OUT WHY!

Gauge importance (to US), in order, Cylinder Head Temperature, Oil Temperature, Voltmeter (charging system problems or broken fan belt), Oil Pressure.

These gauges are temporarily unavailable, but they are due to be back in production some time in 2016! So be sure to add yourself to the backorder list, and we'll notify you once they are back in stock!
Price: $119.95

PN: V310901

:link: https://vwparts.aircooled.net/VDO-600F- ... 310901.htm

:link: https://www.amazon.com/VDO-310901-Cylin ... op?ie=UTF8

VDO 310901 Cockpit Style Cylinder Head Temperature Gauge 2 1/16" Diameter, Black Dial Face
by VDO
3.8 out of 5 stars 14 ratings | 4 answered questions
Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

VDO 310901 Cockpit Style Cylinder Head Temperature Gauge 2 1/16" Diameter, Black Dial Face
by VDO
3.8 out of 5 stars 14 ratings | 4 answered questions
Currently unavailable.

We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

Cylinder Head Temperature

There are no products matching the selection.

:link: https://www.vdo-gauges.com/instruments- ... ature.html

Dakota Digital Round Cylinder Head Temperature Gauge Blue Display Black Bezel SLX-11-1-K

ImageImage

:link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0753L476L/ref=dp_prsubs_3
  • Dakota Digital Solarix Series instruments offer a high brightness, vibrant blue vacuum fluorescent displays providing a lifetime of trouble free use. Solarix instruments are fully backed by a Limited 24-month Warranty against manufacturer defects and provide the accuracy and performance you've come to expect from Dakota Digital!
  • Range: 150- 750°F or 65- 400°C Resolution: 4°F or 3°C
  • 2-1/16" diameter housings.
  • Blue Display. Chrome bezel. Machined aluminum housing.
  • Gauge requires the use of a Sensor, not included, sold separately.
Product description
Dakota Digital Solarix Series instruments offer a high brightness, vibrant blue vacuum fluorescent displays providing a lifetime of trouble free use. Solarix instruments are fully backed by a Limited 24-month Warranty against manufacturer defects and provide the accuracy and performance you've come to expect from Dakota Digital!

Range: 150- 750°F or 65- 400°C

Resolution: 4°F or 3°C

Machined aluminum housing.

2-1/16" Diameter Housing.

This gauge requires the use of Sensor (not included, sold separately):

-SEN-11-4 (6')
-SEN-11-5 (10')
-SEN-11-6 (14'
-SEN-11-7 (18')
-SEN-11-8 (18'; 14mm ring)
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

1961HearstVan wrote:Hi everyone.
I have a Greenbrier that I want to add a tach and a cylinder head temp gauge to but I cannot cut anything on my dash.
Anyone find a digital set that works with our Corvair engines that is compact or housed in a square or rectangle housing?
I want to use my windshield GPS suction mount holder while I'm driving the van and be able to tuck it in my glove box when the van is being shown.
To add the desired instruments without cutting holes, perhaps the best approach for your van would be installing a serviceable Spyder instrument cluster.

CORVAIR (1962 TO 1964) SPYDER INSTRUMENT CLUSTER (DASH)

Here are some additional close-up shots of a Spyder instrument cluster. This particular one will expire in a few hours on eBay, and currently has no bids. The starting asking price is $229.99, with a "Buy it Now" price of $309.99. Two others are currently listed for $119.99 or best offer. So the condition and prices vary widely, but they often appear on the eBay market. The finish is often scratched or pitted, and the condition of the gauges varies since these aging panels are somewhat rare and were only produced from 1962-1964. But if you shop around for a while you should be able to purchase and recondition one with chrome, black crackle paint, or some other creative restoration techniques. As with the Corsa instrument panel, this is probably the best way to start with customizing your Monza to allow for more instruments and gauges. Some repairs or additions, such as a light switch, ignition switch, instrument repairs, etc. are often needed. Aftermarket gauges may possibly be substituted, if the diameter is correct. On my Corsa dash I removed the useless clock and manifold pressure gauge (my Corsa was a non-turbo) and relocated the fuel gauge to the upper left (in ther former clock location). Then I installed a VDO electric oil pressure gauge and a VDO voltmerer in the two lower positions. The VDO style was similar to the original, and the diameter was correct. Similar mods might be possible on the Spyder instrument cluster, but I have no experience in doing such a modification to confirm this.

39,808 Monza Spyders (coupes and convertibles) were manufactured between 1962 and 1964. In comparison, 554,805 normally aspirated Monza 2-door coupes and convertibles were manufactured between 1960 and 1964.

As a side note, it is interesting to notice on the right side of the panel (left-lower corner of this view) on the back of the Spyder instrument panel (above), Chevrolet included a casting boss area and perimeter cutout below it for a Powerglide automatic transmission shift lever display, as can be seen here. Although the Monza Spyder was never offered with an automatic transmission, apparently design engineers either considered this possibility in the turbocharged Spyder, or they considered the possibility of offering this custom multi-gauge instrument panel as an option in normally-aspirated Early Model Corvairs (which also never happened).

Modified, reconditioned Spyder dash
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
61SuperMonza

Post by 61SuperMonza »

This is my solution in my 61 Monza. Spyder cluster with radio delete and electronic gauges added. Looks stock with flair.
20190513_125409.jpg
First corvair in 1985
Have owned 4 corvairs since
65 Corsa coupe 180 turbo
66 Monza coupe 110 PG
66 Monza coupe 140 PG
61 Monza club coupe w/ 150 turbo
Anchorage,AK
Number7s

Post by Number7s »

So I found this guy that makes digital CHT gauges for pretty reasonable. Has anyone used them? https://www.mainline-sensors.co.uk/coll ... 7765595585

I have a spyder dash but think the CHT gauge is inop as I cant see any needle in the gauge and I tried to test it but grounding but didnt see any movement. I measured the run from the gauge back to the #4 plug and got about 20ft. This was following the main harness then around the engine bay and following the ignition wire to the plug.
63 Spyder
72 Chevelle
72 El Camino
SoCal

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”