auto trans shifting stalling engine

All Models and Years
gotahavit

auto trans shifting stalling engine

Post by gotahavit »

Looking for some ideas of what causes this. Engine runs and idles fine in neutral. When I shift to drive or reverse a load is put on motor and stalls. If I'm able to rev the engine high as I shift I can get it to drive around without stalling till I try stopping , then it dies again. Anyone knows what I should look for or check first ? Would like an idea to take to trans shop. Tanks for help
joelsplace

Re: auto trans shifting stalling engine

Post by joelsplace »

Why do you think it needs transmission work? I would check timing, dwell and carburetor adjustment first.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Could be simply idle speed too low. Idle speed is set in drive as low as possible before rough running and stalling (600-800RPM in drive usually). If this idle speed results in RPM's higher than 1100 give or take in neutral and or the trans slams into gear when shifting from neutral to drive or reverse you have other issues like Joel mentioned above. Transmission issues are possible but tuning issues or vacuum leaks or similar causes are more likely.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:wave: :welcome2: :wave: Welcome, Norm, to the Corvair Forum!
gotahavit wrote: » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:08 pm

Thanks for adding me, Just got my second rampside of my life. My first was at 16 and now one at 65. I'm not a mechanic so I'll be asking a lot of questions. Any other 95 owners that could be a mentor would be greatly appreciated. Would love to restore but think that would be to much, could use some help finding parts. thanks again. Norm Gilmoure
gotahavit wrote:auto trans shifting stalling engine
» Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:24 pm

Looking for some ideas of what causes this. Engine runs and idles fine in neutral. When I shift to drive or reverse a load is put on motor and stalls. If I'm able to rev the engine high as I shift I can get it to drive around without stalling till I try stopping , then it dies again. Anyone knows what I should look for or check first ? Would like an idea to take to trans shop. Tanks for help
:doh: :td: :nono: Does your Corvair distributor happen to be fitted with a Pertronix Ignitor II electronic ignition module? It is an electronic breakerless ignition system that replaces the ignition points with a magnetic trigger electronic switching system to control the ignition coil. Read below...
ImageImage

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... ow_page=74
bbodie52 wrote:The Pertronix Ignitor II has been known to have some sensor problems managing a slow idle, such as found with a Corvair running a Powerglide automatic transmission in DRIVE. I believe the problem appears when the idle drops too low for the Pertronix Ignitor II electronic module to manage the pulses properly. The ignition system may begin to skip every other pulse, causing an ignition system misfire. This may show up with the engine dying when you shift a properly idling engine from NEUTRAL to DRIVE. The load of the torque converter may slow the engine to the point that the Pertronix unit begins to malfunction. The problem is not present in the Pertronix Ignitor I, the Crane Cams (FAST) XR-700, or the Stinger electronic distributor marketed by Performance Corvairs (Seth Emerson).
ELECTRONIC DISTRIBUTOR UPGRADE/REPLACEMENT OPTIONS

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=15101

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your post and tell us more about yourself, as well as about your Rampside. Your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities helps a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, your Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you, your Corvair, and you plans for your Corvair will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Knowing where you live may also help, as you location may suggest some possibilities or solutions.

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA club chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

If you want to see some Rampside pictures that might inspire you with your project, click on the link below...

:link: viewtopic.php?f=178&t=6780

:link: http://www.corvair.org/chapters/corvanatics/index.php

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
gotahavit

Post by gotahavit »

Thanks for info, I took off distributor cap and I do have an ignitor II , SO what do I need to do? Put everything back to original or change the electronic to something that works? What are the advantages? Also noticed a chrome coil , would this be a problem and or need to be changed if going back to original? Remember I was a carpenter not a mechanic. Im able to do simple fixes but not ready to overhaul a motor. Thanks Ill order new parts as soon as I get advice. I do think I want no electronic components , back to points and rotor.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

You may need nothing but some adjustments. You may need to find a mechanic. Need to check idle speed, timing, idle mixture, spark plug condition, PCV system, look for vacuum leaks, etc.. If it runs well except when trying to idle in gear it is almost certainly a tuning issue. I could be a fuel delivery or internal carb issue as well but the other causes are more likely.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

ELECTRONIC DISTRIBUTOR UPGRADE/REPLACEMENT OPTIONS

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=15101

As mentioned in my previous post, the above link points to a post that discusses several different electronic ignition options. While you could return to ignition points, the concept of an upgrade to a breakerless ignition system is a good one that improves reliability and eliminates the continuous tune-up cycle associated with adjusting and replacing ignition points and condenser.

I have not heard of Pertronix taking a position on this compatibility problem with the Ignitor II, and since you did not actually purchase the Ignitor II system I don't know if they would replace it with an Ignitor I unit (which is compatible with the Powerglide-equipped Corvair). Increasing the idle speed might move the idle speed in DRIVE high enough to avoid the stalling problem by keeping the Pertronix unit functioning, but it might also cause the engine to race in NEUTRAL at a high idle and the jerk the car with you shift to DRIVE or REVERSE. Perhaps you could sell the used Pertronix II to help offset the cost of a suitable replacement. Ideally Pertronix would redesign the Pertronix II to correct the compatibility issue, but if the problem only surfaces in automatic transmission six-cylinder cars few customers are likely to discover the fault. They should warn the consumer in their advertisements and instruction manuals about the compatibility issue, however.

If your aftermarket ignition coil is a Pertronix FlameThrower II coil, it is not compatible with a Pertronix Ignitor I electronic module or the Crane Cams/FAST optical trigger XR-700, because of its very low resistance (0.6 ohms) primary coil winding. That ultra-high voltage coil is overkill and not needed in a Corvair, and the high current it draws due to the 12 VDC/0.6 ohm Primary will damage an Ignitor I or an XR-700 unit. If you sell the Ignitor II and have a FlameThrower II coil, it should be sold along with the Ignitor II system.

Pertronix recommends a 3.0 ohm version of their FlameThrower I coil, along with their Ignitor I ignition module. The electronics in the Ignitor modules really prefers a full 12 VDC power source, so Pertronix recommends bypassing the ballast resistor wire in the Corvair wiring harness to provide that 12 VDC power to the Ignitor I module and to the ignition coil. Coupling it to the FlameThrower I 3.0 ohm coil sets up the coil for correct operation on 12 VDC on a six cylinder engine.

If you were to choose switching to the optical trigger Crane Cams/FAST XR-700, you would find that the electronic module it uses was DESIGNED to operate on the reduced voltage provided by the Corvair wiring harness ballast resistor wire (nominal 7 VDC). The XR-700 electronic unit will actually overheat and probably malfunction if it is powered by a full 12 VDC battery voltage. With the ballast resistor wire in the circuit, the coil chosen for use with the XR-700 should have a 1.5 ohm primary resistance. This is the resistance found in the stock Corvair coil, and in many high performance aftermarket coils. (I prefer the reliability and positive reputation of the FAST XR-700 system over the Pertronix aftermarket units).

The newest upgrade system is the Stinger replacement distributor, which uses a magnetic pulse breakerless ignition system similar to the Pertronix design. It has a switching transistor in the circuit that can handle a coil with a a low 0.6 ohm primary, or it will also work with a 1.5 ohm coil. The electronics in the Stinger distributor requires a full 12 VDC power source. I think this new, modern design distributor is the best choice, it is cost-effective, and it brings the 1960's Corvair ignition system forward 50 years to 21st century performance and reliability. You might consider calling Seth Emerson to discuss your options. He has a lot of Corvair experience and I believe he is also t president of the CORSA club chapter in San Jose.

Contact Us:
Performance Corvairs :link: https://www.perfvair.com/stinger-ignition-distributors/
Seth Emerson
3462 Kirkwood Dr.
San Jose, CA 95117

Email: Sethracer@aol.com
Phone: (408) 247-2237

:doh: :whoa: I hope all of this technical talk hasn't given you a headache. But when you modify the ignition system in your Corvair all components must be properly installed and properly wired according to the installation instructions, and compatibility issues must be fully addressed to have the new system installed according to the design specs.

CORVAIR COMBINED WIRING SCHEMATIC DIAGRAMS

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=12968
Attachments
1963 Corvair Pertronix Installation
1963 Corvair Pertronix Installation
1963 Ignition Wiring Diagram
1963 Ignition Wiring Diagram
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
gotahavit

Post by gotahavit »

thanks to all, I'm going to put it back to original and see if things get better
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Hmmm What is the idle speed in neutral?

gotahavit

Post by gotahavit »

Ok got distributor back to original and it now shifts without stalling. Thanks to all the help. Anyone interested in an ignitorII with coil?
64CorvairMonza

Post by 64CorvairMonza »

If the engine is healthy, then the plugs would be healthy for good spark and the fuel should be fresh and most say at least 90% octane, and your timing!! There's nothing wrong with your trans if it makes the car go forward of reverse. The transmission is just exposing issues you have with a sick engine. Pull the plugs and test the with an ohm meter and get a spark tester, check them points! IF your engine was healthy and idle and carbs were balanced, it should not stall. Check the inside of that cap?? Maybe the coil is weak. Cover your bases and tune the engine, but leave that trans alone.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Price?
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”