Push rod seal replacement question

All Models and Years
Kent1915

Push rod seal replacement question

Post by Kent1915 »

Have a question about this.

Replacing the seals seems pretty straight forward but I’m questioning some conflicting info. Most stuff I have seen says to adjust valves after you replace seals (doing one side at a time). But I have seen a couple places saying valve adjustment only if you do one cylinder.

Can someone confirm? Logic says would need to adjust all if all seals replaced but...

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Corvair Forum mobile app
terribleted

Re: Push rod seal replacement question

Post by terribleted »

You will need to adjust every valve that the rocker arm was loosened on...which on a complete reseal is all of them. You should do only the tubes on one cylinder at a time and then retorque that cylinders rocker studs before moving to the next cylinder unless you intend to loosen all the top and bottom studs and retorque the entire head. If you pay close attention to the amount of threads showing above each rocker adjusting nut you can put them each back as they were and then start and do a running adjustment at that point. You can also just get them all back in place and do a static adjustment if you prefer. I prefer a running adjustment as many lifters are no longer stock in old engines or they like different adjustment to operate4 best. With a running adjustment you can fine tune each one to have the same amount of running pre-load. I have had better luck running than non-running.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Kent1915

Re: Push rod seal replacement question

Post by Kent1915 »

That’s what I was suspecting. Thanks for the info and the tips!

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”