Strange noise

All Models and Years
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Strange noise

Post by bbodie52 »

You would not be able to view the bolts from under the car. The engine has to be manually rotated to view each of the three bolts. You may be able to do that using the center bolt on the harmonic balancer, or you can turn the torque converter from under the car, as shown in the video. Servicing the flex plate attaching bolts begins on page 6-7 of the attached 1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6 - Power Train.

Hopefully you will be able to discover the source of the noise.

:chevy:
Attachments
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6 - Power Train.pdf
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6 - Power Train
(704.51 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

ronenbetzalel wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:30 am Thank you brad for the information
I was planing to drive the car on Saturday 12/7 to the monthly meeting for the first time. I guess it’s not safe to drive it like this. I will probably will go to meet those member and look for help with a local mechanic that know that car. My guy is not familiar with corvair.

I will try to get access to those bolts and check them

I have attached two images.
This is the cover that need to be removed ?
I guess I need to check it from the top of the engine (not from under the car )

Thank you
Yes this is correct.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Wagon Master

Post by Wagon Master »

Yes.
Eddddie

Post by Eddddie »

Wagon Master wrote:Yes.
How do I ask a question I am new to the forum9

Sent from my LGMS330 using Corvair Forum mobile app

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Eddddie wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:46 am
Wagon Master wrote:Yes.
How do I ask a question I am new to the forum9

Sent from my LGMS330 using Corvair Forum mobile app
Go to home, click on the appropriate forum in which to ask your question like maybe this one "ask your mechanical questions here", on the upper left of the page once you are here is "New Topic" click that and make a post. Put subject of what you basic question pertains to. Put data in the post to tell us what year, model, engine size, and transmission type you are working on as well as any info that might help us. All the subsections of the forum work the same way. Click new post and get on whatever soap box you want:)
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Eddddie wrote: » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:46 pm

...How do I ask a question I am new to the forum9
If your question is applicable to the current category, or topic, just ask. If you have a question that strays from the current topic, you might pick another general category or subject area from Introductions, Corvair Talk, Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds, Ask your Mechanical Questions here, DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations, Body/VIN Tag Decoding, etc. From within the selected Group, you might choose an existing topic as an appropriate area, or you might choose to click on the New Topic button to begin your own new topic. Then just give your Topic a title, and ask your question.

Any new topic or question will be seen by the Forum as a new entry, and those who wish to comment or answer can then begin the exchange. It is not necessary to repeat the same question in a variety of topics for it to be seen. One new post will be seen by all. When you write, be sure to include all applicable information about your car, including photos, modifications, transmission type, etc. Include any details about yourself that might be helpful, such as your mechanical experience, abilities, geographic location, etc.

You might browse Site Features and How to Use Them (Some cool features of this site explained) under Site Specific Topics for additional Corvair Forum guidelines.

:welcome: :welcome2:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
ronenbetzalel

Post by ronenbetzalel »

We checked the flex plate screws and the all tight and strong. Flex plate looks ok too
We could not figure where the noise is coming from.
Also as rpm goes up it will go away

Any thoughts ?
Ronen
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

I would use stethoscope to see if I could isolate the noise more closely. Try to determine if it is in engine or trans. Thoughts include mechanical issue in transaxle or engine. The noise indeed sounds strange particularly since the flex plate to convert or bolts are tight (I wonder if the flex plate to crankshaft bolts are tight). If it sounds more like engine I would remove valve covers and see if some valve train issue could be going on. From the sounds I hear on the video, if engine related I would expect a very bad valve train issue like bent pushrod, completely worn out valve guide or something similar, or a broken piston, or very very bad rod bearing. You could do a compression test. If there is low compression on a forward cylinder it would give a clue as to what is going on. Checking flex plate to crank bolts would be an engine out thing. Some sort of internal failure in the torque converter, not likely but I think possible.

ronenbetzalel

Post by ronenbetzalel »

I think we found something interesting today.
When we play with the flywheel back and forth with a flat screwdriver there was a play when you go back and froward - based on that the mechanic said that is a sign of a broken flex plate - he said there should not be any free play.
Looks like we will have to remove the engine

It’s very uncommon to brake a flex plate - but it looks like this the the problem right ?
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I just listened to the video. It sounds like a broken flex plate to me. I'll bet the bell housing is also broken.
It sounds just like my '66 did in the early stages. I kept driving it until it sounded like a broken crankshaft but it was the bell housing and flex plate. Be sure to get the correct bell housing and flex plate they are different between the 145 and 164. Also put the flex plate on the correct direction. Dish toward the engine.
145 bell housing has a silver dollar sized circle where the cam is and the 164 flex plate has an extra hole in it.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
ronenbetzalel

Post by ronenbetzalel »

Thank you for your feedback. Is there anything you recommend doing at the same time we removing the engine ?
I do have a small leak I think it’s coming from the rear polly. I will probably will change that seal too.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

If you are removing the powertrain and separating engine from transaxle to check on the flex plate you should change front and rear crankshaft seals, bell housing to block and oil pan gaskets (necessary to change front crank seal), and the torque converter seal. This is also a good time to address any cleaning or gasket work that is simplified by the powertrain being out of the car (pushrod tube o rings, rear housing, and axle seals come to mind as well as any other repairs or maintenance facilitated by having the engine out.

ronenbetzalel

Post by ronenbetzalel »

Thank you for the information. Very helpful
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I would replace the converter bushing also. If the bell housing isn't obviously broken clean it really good and inspect it closely. The last replacement I picked up looked good but on close inspection had several cracks that were hard to see. I just welded them up and it's been fine so far but I haven't put a lot of miles on it.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”