63 transmission

All Models and Years
mherwald

63 transmission

Post by mherwald »

Hi there,
I'm a new member but a long time Corvair owner.
I just took apart a 63 transmission and it had a washer that I don't know where to put back in.
It is not the thick thrust washer clearly shown in the shop manual.
It is not the radial roller thrust washer shown in the manual.
It is not any of the washers that hold the rollers in the clutch gear or the cluster gear.
OD is slightly over an inch and the width is a little over 1/8".
Hopefully I have successfully attached a picture of it.
Attachments
Where?
Where?
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: 63 transmission

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

:imsorry: :dontknow: I think the dimensions in the top picture are correct. But I looked through the whole Corvair Transmission section of the 1960-1969 Corvair Parts Catalog from GM and could not find a single washer or spacer with these dimensions.

Left-click each image to enlarge for better viewing. Click a second time for maximum enlargement...
Washer.jpg
4-speed Trans IPB.jpg
:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your post and tell us more about yourself, as well as about your Corvair. Your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities helps a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, your Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you, your Corvair, and you plans for your Corvair will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Knowing where you live may also help, as your location may suggest some possibilities or solutions.

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader (.pdf) format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA club chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

Perhaps the illustrating photographs in the attached publication — Overhauling the 1961 4-speed Transmission will help you to verify the transmission reassembly. I've also attached an extract from the Corvair Parts Catalog for you to review — 1960-1969 Corvair Parts Catalog - GROUP 4.000 TRANSMISSION & BRAKES.

:chevy:
Attachments
Corvair - Overhauling the 1961 4-speed Transmission.pdf
Corvair - Overhauling the 1961 4-speed Transmission
(3.48 MiB) Downloaded 25 times
1960-1969 Corvair Parts Catalog - GROUP 4.000 TRANSMISSION & BRAKES.pdf
1960-1969 Corvair Parts Catalog - GROUP 4.000 TRANSMISSION & BRAKES
(5.88 MiB) Downloaded 22 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Is that the revision thrust washer added to 3rd gear? I'm not sure when it showed up in production.
Here's a picture of the gear and washer: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-1962-1963 ... SwfX9cALf1
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
mherwald

Post by mherwald »

First I wish to respond to Brad. I'm a long time Corvair collector with rather extensive Corvair mechanical background.
I own several finished Corvairs. I have rebuilt several of the later 66-69 Saginaw transmissions since most of my cars are late.
This was my first venture with an early 61-63 transmission. The overhauling pdf you sent me I already had and have reviewed it very carefully to no avail. There is no mention of the washer that I could determine. Same for the 61 shop manual.
I contacted Clarks since this washer is on their kit. Gave them the approx dimensions and they replied that it could be the much thicker and bigger thrust washer that I know where it belongs.
Then I tore down a second 63 transmission just to see where this washer went. I didn't see it until I saw it laying on the floor!!
It must have dropped sometime during pressing or whatever So that is where it stood till I got the 2nd reply.
It took me a while to reply since I was away and neglected to turn of my email on my computer.
I'm curious where you got the dimensions. They appear to be correct. Didn't that source id the washer?

Now I'd like to respond to Joelsplace. The holiday and company will keep me out of it but that sure looks like it.
I'll just look at the mainshaft, 3rd gear, and the washer. If thats it it should go right together. I think I may have already tried that combination but I will definitely try again. Thank you Joelsplace. What a coincidence it happened to be on ebay.
mherwald

Post by mherwald »

On page 14 of the 1970 P&A catalog under 4.415 there it is. Part 3821380 and it even gives the dimensions of the washer.
A little trial and error and I should have it. Thanks guys.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

mherwald wrote:...I'm curious where you got the dimensions. They appear to be correct...
The dimensions came from your photograph. I just pasted it into PowerPoint and inserted some vertical lines to help eliminate any viewing error when reading the dimensions with the measuring tape scale.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
caroseiii

Post by caroseiii »

That appears to be the thrust washer that goes between third gear and the 3-4 synchronizer. Part no. 3817703.

Crawford Rose

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”