Is it normal to have no head gaskets?

All Models and Years
loud41
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Is it normal to have no head gaskets?

Post by loud41 »

1963, 102 HP manual coupe

So I have finally gotten around to getting the heads off my engine, and I noticed that there were no head to barrel gaskets. There are barrel to block gaskets; thin, steel rings. I found it odd there were no head gaskets. Is this normal? I'm not the first to open this engine, as it has a lot of newer looking viton seals and silicone valve cover gaskets. Could this be why I had a mis?

I had also removed one barrel I had suspected of stuck or broken rings, only to find the rings looking quite nice... Loose and intact with zero buildup. If this had original rings would they be all caked in grime and such? I'm just not sure if I should get new rings. I don't have any history on this car unfortunately. The barrel itself has a few vertical scoring marks, but they hardly catch my fingernail, if at all. I figure some light honing could take care of it. I plan on purchasing a flex hone to do the job. I use tiny ones in the aircraft industry and love them!

I've never been this deep into an engine, so dealing with pistons, rings and bores are new subjects for me. I at least measured my bore and came out with about 3.435 or so (quick and dirty caliper action). I take the heads in to my machine shop tomorrow to have them checked out and cleaned. I'm very curious to see what kind of condition the valves and guides are in.
joelsplace

Re: Is it normal to have no head gaskets?

Post by joelsplace »

Measure the end gap on the rings to see if they are worn. Also measure the cylinder taper.
Yes it should have head gaskets.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Wikipedia wrote:A head gasket is a gasket that sits between the engine block and cylinder head(s) in an internal combustion engine.

A gasket is defined as a shaped ring or piece of material that is used to seal the space/junction between two flat surfaces e.g. engine and other components. Thus, a head gasket is gasket that seals the junction between the cylinder head and the engine block. The main function of a gasket is to ensure high compression in the engine by not allowing leakage of engine oil into the cylinders. A good gasket should be made from high temperature resistant material.

Its purpose is to seal the cylinders to ensure maximum compression and avoid leakage of coolant or engine oil into the cylinders; as such, it is the most critical sealing application in any engine, and, as part of the combustion chamber, it shares the same strength requirements as other combustion chamber components.

Higher compression engines, either normally aspirated or some form of forced induction (when under boost) can require more work to ‘tune out’ DETONATION. Once detonation sets on, cylinder pressures and temperatures escalate rapidly. Pressures up to 8 times normal cylinder pressure, sometimes even more, cause the cylinder head to literally lift up leaving the cylinder head gasket unclamped.

Production gaskets will let go under these conditions every time, just like the example shown. It is important to note here that no engine should ever be run under these adverse conditions purposely, however during the ‘tuning’ period of many performance engines these severe conditions may be encountered for short periods, so it is vital to have a cylinder head gasket that can withstand brief bursts of detonation without letting go, so that further adjustments can be made to “tune out” any detonation spikes.

The cost of a replacement gasket is usually not extreme, but the price of total repair is significantly high. This is because the process of removing/replacing an engine head is very time consuming—around 75% of cost will be labor. Furthermore, untreated blown gaskets usually seriously damage the engine, then requiring even more expensive work.
:link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_gasket

On the Corvair engine, the function of the head gasket ring is mainly to conform to distorted surfaces between the aluminum head and steel cylinder mating surface. A well-machined and flat surface might form an adequate seal between the cylinder and the head if the head gaskets are left off in error, but this is not recommended. Unlike the water-cooled engine, the function of the Corvair air-cooled head gasket is relatively uncomplicated. But it does allow the gasket surfaces to compress and seal slightly uneven mating surfaces to help ensure a good seal.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Mcwho

Post by Mcwho »

Just wanted to ask did u remove the heads with engine on car. I have a 65 110 w the chirping sound. If I can get heads off that would relieve stress on me. I dread removing entire drive train.

Thanks
Bob
loud41 wrote:1963, 102 HP manual coupe

So I have finally gotten around to getting the heads off my engine, and I noticed that there were no head to barrel gaskets. There are barrel to block gaskets; thin, steel rings. I found it odd there were no head gaskets. Is this normal? I'm not the first to open this engine, as it has a lot of newer looking viton seals and silicone valve cover gaskets. Could this be why I had a mis?

I had also removed one barrel I had suspected of stuck or broken rings, only to find the rings looking quite nice... Loose and intact with zero buildup. If this had original rings would they be all caked in grime and such? I'm just not sure if I should get new rings. I don't have any history on this car unfortunately. The barrel itself has a few vertical scoring marks, but they hardly catch my fingernail, if at all. I figure some light honing could take care of it. I plan on purchasing a flex hone to do the job. I use tiny ones in the aircraft industry and love them!

I've never been this deep into an engine, so dealing with pistons, rings and bores are new subjects for me. I at least measured my bore and came out with about 3.435 or so (quick and dirty caliper action). I take the heads in to my machine shop tomorrow to have them checked out and cleaned. I'm very curious to see what kind of condition the valves and guides are in.
Sent from my SM-G965U using Corvair Forum mobile app

1965 Corvair Monza Coupe 110, 4 speed, Liberty Blue
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Yes Bob. You can remove heads with the engine in the car. You must lower the rear of the powertrain afar enough to get clearance to slide the head off the cylinders. In order to do this properly you will need to disconnect all the engine to body seals, clutch , throttle and transmission cables or linkages and engine wires that might get damaged when lowering the rear of the engine like 4-6". Loosening the trans mount nuts is also needed.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

terribleted wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:52 pm Yes Bob. You can remove heads with the engine in the car. You must lower the rear of the powertrain afar enough to get clearance to slide the head off the cylinders. In order to do this properly you will need to disconnect all the engine to body seals, clutch , throttle and transmission cables or linkages and engine wires that might get damaged when lowering the rear of the engine like 4-6". Loosening the trans mount nuts is also needed.
Yes you can if you are a young person. For us "mature" folks pulling the drivetrain out of the car is easier.

Are you sure there are no head gaskets? I've seen overheated heads where the gasket embeds into head and is difficult to get out.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”