Powerglide Problems

All Models and Years
64powerglide

Re: Powerglide Problems

Post by 64powerglide »

The car recognizes that the shifter is in NEUTRAL, so it starts, but once I give it some throttle it moves forward, in any gear. I have re-installed the cable as per the instructions (3/8” lower than the pan and all that stuff), when that didn’t work I took off the pan and made a visual confirmation that the shift cable was seated properly and adjusted the piston to just below flush with the second support web.
You need to reinstall the cable with the lever as far down as it will go but I cannot remember which gear the selector is supposed to be in. If your trans was rebuilt you shouldn't have to make any internal adjustments. The 3/8 you're talking about is when you reconnect the rod. SOMEONE NEEDS TO CHIME IN HERE ABOUT THE GEAR SELECTOR POSITION WHEN INSTALLING THE CABLE.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Cable is installed with the dash selector in drive, but, I think he is way beyond this issue with this problem. Best I can tell from above the actual cable install is not at fault.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The Powerglide is a fluid-based, non-electronic computer, and every switch and servo is operated using oil pressure. The torque converter is a fluid coupling that depends also on oil supply and oil pressure. Assuming that there is enough oil, do you think it is worth dropping the oil pan to check the integrity of the oil pickup? A defect there could be preventing adequate oil pressure and oil circulation EVERYWHERE and that can have confusing, somewhat unpredictable impact on the entire operation and confuse symptoms — making troubleshooting and diagnosis difficult (something like a faulty power supply in a computer).

The troubleshooting guide pages below cover checking oil pressure using a gauge and pressure taps on the transmission. Checking oil pump operation is also discussed more extensively. (Click on each image once or twice to enlarge for better viewing).
Powerglide Transmission Diagnosis - Page 1 of 3
Powerglide Transmission Diagnosis - Page 1 of 3
Powerglide Transmission Diagnosis - Page 2 of 3
Powerglide Transmission Diagnosis - Page 2 of 3
Powerglide Transmission Diagnosis - Page 3 of 3
Powerglide Transmission Diagnosis - Page 3 of 3
:helpsos:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
WinginEngineer

Post by WinginEngineer »

Have you checked the lowband yet?
Kevin - Phoenix/Mesa, AZ
1962 Corvair 700
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

He said the trans was rebuilt, everything should be good internally. If not it's time to take it back to the rebuilder.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
wsperdute

Post by wsperdute »

Okay, once again thanks for all of the help from everyone. Here's a quick update, I adjusted the low band again. I am still not sure how exact the adjustment is, but I read that the correct inch pounds should be roughly as tight as a person can turn it in with a screwdriver. I then adjusted it 4 whole turns out and tightened the retaining nut. I started the car and gave it some gas...the car drove forward. The shift lever was in NEUTRAL, but the car moved forward, not a creep or a crawl, it drove forward. I shifted the lever into neutral, the car stopped abruptly but did not move backward either. However, the idle (rough as it was) did not ramp up like the car was in neutral and I cannot push the car in any direction so I do not believe that I am in NEUTRAL. Still dumbfounded...
WinginEngineer

Post by WinginEngineer »

40 inch pounds, then back 5 turns if I remember right.

That's about 3 ft-lbs. In comparisson, the just-snug bolts on most oil pans are 9-10 ft-lbs

What you did sounds awful tight compared to the instructions I remember...
Kevin - Phoenix/Mesa, AZ
1962 Corvair 700
wsperdute

Post by wsperdute »

Sorry, that should've said "I shifted the car into REVERSE".
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

wsperdute wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:42 pm Okay, once again thanks for all of the help from everyone. Here's a quick update, I adjusted the low band again. I am still not sure how exact the adjustment is, but I read that the correct inch pounds should be roughly as tight as a person can turn it in with a screwdriver. I then adjusted it 4 whole turns out and tightened the retaining nut. I started the car and gave it some gas...the car drove forward. The shift lever was in NEUTRAL, but the car moved forward, not a creep or a crawl, it drove forward. I shifted the lever into neutral, the car stopped abruptly but did not move backward either. However, the idle (rough as it was) did not ramp up like the car was in neutral and I cannot push the car in any direction so I do not believe that I am in NEUTRAL. Still dumbfounded...
You can push an automatic Corvair in any direction in gear or not (assuming it is not running and driving the opposite direction). If the car can not be pushed the e-brake is on or something else is binding.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
WinginEngineer

Post by WinginEngineer »

wsperdute wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:45 pm Sorry, that should've said "I shifted the car into REVERSE".
Yup that's wierd. Refer back to Brad's response...
bbodie52 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:41 am The Powerglide is a fluid-based, non-electronic computer, and every switch and servo is operated using oil pressure. The torque converter is a fluid coupling that depends also on oil supply and oil pressure. Assuming that there is enough oil, do you think it is worth dropping the oil pan to check the integrity of the oil pickup? A defect there could be preventing adequate oil pressure and oil circulation EVERYWHERE and that can have confusing, somewhat unpredictable impact on the entire operation and confuse symptoms — making troubleshooting and diagnosis difficult (something like a faulty power supply in a computer).

The troubleshooting guide pages below cover checking oil pressure using a gauge and pressure taps on the transmission. Checking oil pump operation is also discussed more extensively. (Click on each image once or twice to enlarge for better viewing).
Powerglide Transmission Diagnosis - Page 1 of 3.jpg
Powerglide Transmission Diagnosis - Page 2 of 3.jpg
Powerglide Transmission Diagnosis - Page 3 of 3.jpg
:helpsos:
Kevin - Phoenix/Mesa, AZ
1962 Corvair 700

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”