66 Corvair Motor and transmission removing

All Models and Years
monzadon

66 Corvair Motor and transmission removing

Post by monzadon »

I am removing my motor and powerglide trans and i am at the point of disconnecting the shift cable at the trans can someone tell me how to do this do I need to pull the trans pan, I see a bolt in the trans next to the cable do i just un-bolt that and does the cable just pull out i am not sure as to what to do, any help on this will be really appreciated.
64powerglide

Re: 66 Corvair Motor and transmission removing

Post by 64powerglide »

Yes, just remove the bolt & pull the cable out. Then it has to go through the transmission mount bracket. The hole is the same shape as the cable end. There is an "O" ring in the trans case & you should put a new one in when you put it back together. No need to pull the pan but the fill tube needs to come off.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I always recommend checking and reviewing the technical references before starting any job on your Corvair, and then have the references readily available as you work. The shop manual was indispensable when I rebuilt my first Corvair engine and Powerglide transmission when I was 16 in 1969, and I still rely on these references just as much now 50 years later.

See the 1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 7 - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION (attached) page 7-33, section CONTROL CABLE ASSEMBLY Removal, steps 6 and 7.
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 7 - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 7 - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
(8.61 MiB) Downloaded 61 times

The 1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION section below has illustrations that may be helpful. Page 8 includes steps for the CONTROL CABLE INSTALLATION PROCEDURE.
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION.pdf
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
(2.26 MiB) Downloaded 48 times

The first few pages of the attached Corvair Powerglide Automatic Transmission Service Guide - PART 1 OF 5 also describes removal of the control cable.
Corvair Powerglide Automatic Transmission Service Guide - PART 1 OF 5.pdf
Corvair Powerglide Automatic Transmission Service Guide - PART 1 OF 5
(8.83 MiB) Downloaded 34 times

I've also included a Chevrolet pamphlet, Corvair and Corvair 95 Power Train Removal & Installation, which may be helpful...
Corvair and Corvair 95 Power Train Removal & Installation.pdf
Corvair and Corvair 95 Power Train Removal & Installation
(3.35 MiB) Downloaded 37 times

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA club chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Here are a couple of helpful video's.

64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”